TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was trying to install the toolbox i got from Ed (Equin) during our last trip to Gilmer.

What happens is that the bottom corners of the box (front side, sorry no pics) hit the wheel wells just because of the liner, therefore the box doesn't fit. I removed the liner and the box clears the wells perfectly.

So i have a couple of options:

1. Get rid off the liner for good.
2. Cut some "square" holes right where the box hits the liner at the wheel wells.

I would like to keep the liner, so I was wondering if any of you have a power tool/ideas or something that could easily make those cuts, while keeping a decent shape, just enough to clear those corners. That plastic is not too thick, but is hard as hell to cut with hand tools.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a dremel. That'll get as precise as you can handle, and it cuts plastic like butter. Simply draw your lines and make the cut.

·
Registered
532 Posts
whatever your preference is really. you can rent power tools from home depot and other places.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
If you cut holes in the liner without patching it up-
It will provide a good point of entry for water-
(those drop in liners tend to trap in moisture)

If you want to cut the liner-
Try a dremel, cut-out tool, or perforate the cut-out with a drill.

Another cheap tool that will cut the plastic is a Nibbler- But this will be very slow

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a dremel. That'll get as precise as you can handle, and it cuts plastic like butter. Simply draw your lines and make the cut.
What side of town are you?

oops, wait a minute, are you in town?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you cut holes in the liner without patching it up-
It will provide a good point of entry for water-
(those drop in liners tend to trap in moisture)

If you want to cut the liner-
Try a dremel, cut-out tool, or perforate the cut-out with a drill.

Another cheap tool that will cut the plastic is a Nibbler- But this will be very slow
mmm, thanks for these ideas. Actually, i know one of the bad things about these liners is that they hold moisture. I often take it off to clean the bed. However, the liner has kept the bed in pretty good shape after all.

Thanks for the insights.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've used a box knife without any problems. Just make sure its got a new blade, but the drill or dremel would probably safer and easier. Maybe put a little clear silicon around the cuts and box corners to seal out the moisture, it should flex a bit, but it will peel right off if it looks too cheesy.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Oh Yeah- No real reason for you to cut sq holes-
Just use a Hole saw w/ a power drill

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's a great idea. Are those the ones you use to drill the holes the safari snorkels? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used a box knife without any problems. Just make sure its got a new blade, but the drill or dremel would probably safer and easier. Maybe put a little clear silicon around the cuts and box corners to seal out the moisture, it should flex a bit, but it will peel right off if it looks too cheesy.

tried with the knife, but it was a pain.

Good idea about the silicone. I have black silicone...... just for the looks:D

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
that's a great idea. Are those the ones you use to drill the holes the safari snorkels? Just curious.

Yes (Also used for cutting holes for door knobs & locks, among other things.)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'll be in town this weekend most likely, but only for a day or two. I'll be in town permanently between the 25th and the 1st of june. I suspect you don't want to wait that long though haha. If you want to pick up my dremel case and take it home and use it, I can bring it if you feel like making a drive by kingwood. Let me know if you want to do that and I'll PM you my address/cell etc.

On a side note, you could easily cut it with a thin heated blade, such as a torch+butter knife or soldering iron with a crappy tip. Then file down the edges and you got a clean hole. A sheetrock saw would work too, and no need to heat, depending on how large the hole is.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Use a torch to CAREFULLY heat up the bedliner while pushing the toolbox into the plastic...It'll be a good fit.
Yeah that could work well. If you chalked up some lines then you could push any corner into it, assuming it's a 90° corner on the box. Even a 2x4 would work.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Use a torch to CAREFULLY heat up the bedliner while pushing the toolbox into the plastic...It'll be a good fit.
Good idea,
Might have a little more control with a heat gun

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
im with Chris K on this one. As soon as I get a date scheduled im headed to rhino line my tundra. Those bed liners hold water and rub paint (incase you were wondering that causes rust!) not to mention things slide around in the bed.

or try the heat gun, the less holes teh better

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
not to mention things slide around in the bed.
Yea they are slippery, my dad lost a whole load of corrugated tin out of the back of his truck. Just slid right out. Ditch the liner and put a few scars in the bed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts