TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting in new headlights for my 96 and I heard that I have to take the grill off first and it looks like I do. but my question is. how do I do it? lol I can't figure out how to get my grill off. it's a billet if that makes a difference but I just want to be able to replace these headlights with the new ones I got. thanks for the help

-Spence

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
grill removal

Spenc121886 said:
Im putting in new headlights for my 96 and I heard that I have to take the grill off first and it looks like I do. but my question is. how do I do it? lol I can't figure out how to get my grill off. it's a billet if that makes a difference but I just want to be able to replace these headlights with the new ones I got. thanks for the help

-Spence
pop the hood and you should see the grille has extensions or arms that stick out and connect to the radiator core support. They have these lil clips you've gotta squeeze together to get it to pop out. However, I'd go to the Yota dealership and pick up about 10 extra, b/c you're gonna break or lose a good bit if you're not careful. Good luck! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohhh ok. yeah i saw those I jsut thought that there would be bolt somehwere. sucks i ahve to take off my grill. anyhow, thanks for your help

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey does anyone know the part number for the little clips on the grill? I called my dealership today and the guy had no idea what I was talking about

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
Im putting in new headlights for my 96 and I heard that I have to take the grill off first and it looks like I do.
I don't have to remove the grill on my 99 to take out the headlights. I know the two front ends are different, but that doesn't make much sense. Who told you it had to come off?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It`s been awhile since I`ve had to replace a headlight in my 96 but I sure as heck don`t remember having to remove the grill.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
headlights

tenntaco said:
I don't have to remove the grill on my 99 to take out the headlights. I know the two front ends are different, but that doesn't make much sense. Who told you it had to come off?
When I did the H4 swap, I couldn't get the headlights out b/c of the brackets that the actual headlight bolts to. I had to pop the grill out, otherwise I woulda been fightin a losing battle. But, that's just me!

·
Registered
116 Posts
tenntaco said:
The headlights in the 95.5 - 97 are the square "sealed"-looking headlights. They mount different than the headlights in the 98-current Tacomas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bump so can anyone give me the part number for the little clips for the grill....my dealer is a little slow on this one

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
bump so can anyone give me the part number for the little clips for the grill....my dealer is a little slow on this one
The clips are part# 90467-12040, the parts book says there are 11 used on the stock grille.
Brock

·
Registered
485 Posts
tenntaco said:
Um, yeah you do. I don't know how many times you have taken out your headlights but you have to take off the grille to remove the filler pieces to get to the bolts that hold on the headlights.

Ryan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
If you want, shoot me a PM with your e-mail addy, and I can e-mail you a copy of the parts book I have in PDF format.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
SAStoy said:
Um, yeah you do. I don't know how many times you have taken out your headlights but you have to take off the grille to remove the filler pieces to get to the bolts that hold on the headlights.

Ryan
I've removed mine to replace the bulbs before, and I didn't remove the grille. Raised the hood, removed a couple screws, and they popped right out. I'll double check to be sure, but I think I would remember if I had removed the grille.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
There are those little push pins on each side that connect to the side lamps and I remember that you have to remove the side lamps too. Then there are those little pin hickeys that you have to push the tab down on that attach the grille to the radiator support. The thing to do is to replace the sealed beams with the H4 bulb replacement units like those from Hella. I think there are a couple of them on the market but I went with the Hella lamps on mine. That way the next time you just replace the easy to get H4 from the rear of the headlamp housing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
all i did was pull my corner lights, this gave me great access to the spring retaining the headlight and housing to the core support, i popped the spring and removed the assembley through the grill without removing the grill. i also didnt scratch my grill but masking tape would take care of that issue for someone more anal. i know it doesnt work for everyone but it worked great for me. btw mine is a 95.5.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
put in the new headlights today.....didn't need to pull of the grill i just undid the 4 screws holding the lights in. it was hard to get the screws back in once taken out....but taking the grill off was not needed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts