TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this taco less then a month ago and it came just as is described in my signature. Anyways, when I installed this "TRD" ground wiring kit that I bought off Ebay, it caused my idle at warm from 650'ish to 480'ish.

Iam guessing it was from disconnecting the battery and clearing the ECU. Its been about 2-3 days and no change. It seems to run tits, but is it bad for it to idle so low?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I dont see any problem if the truck doesnt bog down, die at idle/upon acceleration. That still is a very low idle though, should be somewhere around 750.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u think I should just turn it up? I used to have a 91 2wd w/22RE and it was just a screw on the throttle body. I havent read up about the 3.4L yet so Iam not to sure its that easy, or maybe it is...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Well if the truck does bog down at acceleration with a low idle, what would it be?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hehe, you can't adjust the idle on the Tacoma. Yes, I remember the good ole' days of turning that big screw on top of the engine to adjust the throttle idle setting! I was amazed how easy it was.

Brian

·
Registered
104 Posts
mrbigbri said:
Hehe, you can't adjust the idle on the Tacoma. Yes, I remember the good ole' days of turning that big screw on top of the engine to adjust the throttle idle setting! I was amazed how easy it was.

Brian
What exactly goes into adjusting the idle these days on the new 3.4s'? Do you have to take the whole throttle body off and adjust accordingly (I think it's like the ACV or some acronym close to that)? Just wondering because I have been idling low and on a cold start in the morning I have to keep my foot on the gas for a minute or so before the engine will run without quiting (i'm in San Diego so cold is relative!). Any suggestions as to what it may be. I need to replace the timing belt as it has been 90K, so could that be contributing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So can anyone conclude this problem. I am just taking a wild guess, but since my idle was lower after installing a ground wiring kit, maybe to get the idle back to normal, should the timing be advanced a degree or two?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
rjdeluca said:
So can anyone conclude this problem. I am just taking a wild guess, but since my idle was lower after installing a ground wiring kit, maybe to get the idle back to normal, should the timing be advanced a degree or two?
There is no way for you to adjust the idle speed, the timing or anything else for that matter with a computer controlled EFI system. That is, without haveing access to the timing and fuel maps in the ECU via software. The loss of idle speed probably is due to the ECU reset. It is a closed loop system and will adjust itself over time if eveything else related to it, sensors and such, are in good working order.

If you want to learn more about electronic engine management systems, I put a post in the performace section where I recommended an excellent book on that topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts