TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of braking system would you go with?

With the recent discussion started by "superhonkey" I got to thinking about this issue.

disk brakes all the way around would be beneficial, as would increasing the power booster body and converting over to the 1 1/8" master cylinder, but what other components would you order for the front?

I am beginning to think that the "standard Autozone specials" calipers are not exactly what the application calls for. Especially since those as well as Napa's and Advanced auto's "loaded calipers" are only single piston calipers.

The rotors would probably work as slotted or drilled rotors benefits only address brake fade, so to me that is not the issue.

Does wilwood make a multi – cylinder caliper that would fit the Dana 44 application? is there any other "aftermarket" companies that would be better suited? :confused:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dsopac said:
www.baer.com ?? I wouldn't know from experience, just guessing....

I forgot about Baer brakes, I guess I should look into them also. I tried researching Wilwood yesterday, but I haven't gotten any replies yet from then in regards to the nears distributor or what their recommedation would be for a Dana 44 axle.

So I guess "Baer…here I come"

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
generalee7 said:
I think I'd just do all 4 disks, t-case e-brake and a Chevy master cylinder.

If money was truly no concern, I would be putting a couple of rockwells under the truck and have a pinon brake on both ends.LOL

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
generalee7 said:
t-case e-brake .
Any idea where one could buy a kit to do this?

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Any idea where one could buy a kit to do this?
Noooo clue, Kirk. I don't know why I said t-case e-brake, they are hard to adjust properly, too tight and the pads wear out super quick, too loose and it won't work right. Once that dude said rockwells and pinion brakes, I changed my mind completely LOL................There is a dude on Pirate that narrowed rockwells..........Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zzyzx said:
http://www.baer.com/Products/ProductsList.aspx

Jeep Grand Cherokee is listed, there might be hope!

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out as soon as I can. I did find Wilwood through Jegs.com and summit.com. But I haven't gotten any reply back on if they have product for the Dana 44. My guess is that they would but you never know.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Bear said:

With the recent discussion started by "superhonkey" I got to thinking about this issue.

disk brakes all the way around would be beneficial, as would increasing the power booster body and converting over to the 1 1/8" master cylinder, but what other components would you order for the front?

I am beginning to think that the "standard Autozone specials" calipers are not exactly what the application calls for. Especially since those as well as Napa's and Advanced auto's "loaded calipers" are only single piston calipers.

The rotors would probably work as slotted or drilled rotors benefits only address brake fade, so to me that is not the issue.

Does wilwood make a multi – cylinder caliper that would fit the Dana 44 application? is there any other "aftermarket" companies that would be better suited? :confused:
How about phoning up folks that do that kind of stuff all the time like Sunray, Currie, or TSM....you did say IPWNO.

Also, if you have a manual tranny, be careful of excessively big bore MC's and the large boosters that go with them. When you stall the engine and lose vacuum on a steep hill, things can get interesting.

As a data point for you, I went from 7/8" back to 1" recently with the front brake upgrade, and it is more than enough to lock all four in the Heep with 35's on the street. Front is V-6 IFS pre-Taco calipers on vented FJ-40 rotors, rear is Monte Carlo calipers and 1/2 ton 4WD Chevy truck front rotors. Dash mounted Wilwood on the rears, and stock [rebuilt] Heep booster & linkages. Emergency brake hopefully comes in the form of a two-chamber MC, and an auto tranny.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Care to elaborate?

Front Range said:
The sky is the limit.

However, 4 piston calipers on 4 wheels stops this 5k# truck almost too easily.

I can only assume what you mean by "almost too easily" and I don't like to assume.

Do you mean on the street or on the trails? With my IFS my wife says my brakes are already too sensitive, so that should illustrate that I like my brakes "tight" So I am thinking that more stopping force with the larger tires and heavier axle up front would be a good thing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bear said:
I would go with a custom width toyota housing from front range off road so that I could run the stock pre-tacoma IFS 4-piston calipers on vented rotors. In fact, that is just what I did (not solely for the brakes however). It stops better than my d44 with those large single piston calipers ever did. I can't lock them up on pavement but I am still running the stock drums in the rear.

later!
shane

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should know by now that I only phone companies as my last resort! that's why I have you to answer all my questions. :D I hate using the phone anymore!

When it comes to the underside of rigs, I hold your opinions in the highest regards. In fact when I get a bit closer to installing everything I was going to probably give you a call (yes I still have your numbers)

At the time of this "typing" my plan of attack is this: Call Jeg's to inquire about the Wilwood cast 4 piston calipers application for the 44, If they have them order, buy Autozone/Advanced auto parts rotors (later to be replaced with vented rotors), contact Rock Stomper for their adapter plate for the Chevy–Toyota master cylinder swap but stick with my stock vacum booster since it is Toyotas twin cylinder booster. All pressure bled. How does that sound as a plan of attack to you? I have stalled my engine on that steep grade you referred to already. Although it wasn't fun, I was able to cope. but is also the reason I installed my "hand throttle" I definitely know the pit falls of wheeling a 5 speed. Just can't give up that power I get from it on the street though.

But since I am probably going to have to make an emergency run down to M.D Anderson (Houston) things may have to be put on hold again. So all this may be a mute issue anyway.

BTW I love your signature messages; both of them!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shane, you wouldn't know if the pre tacoma IFS 4 piston calipers you referred to would fit on a Dana 44 would you?

My guess is that it wouldn't, but then if it did. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Check the side of your current MC, it should have its size stamped on it. If you go to a larger bore, the hill/stall/no brakes problem will get worse. A dual diaphragm booster has the same effect as a larger single diaphagm one.

You only need a larger bore MC if you can't get decent pedal height/feel with what you have now. Like I said before, I am running 1" with quad piston front and single piston rear calipers. I also have 2 psi residuals both F&R.

Just curious as to why your AZ rotors would not be vented in the first place?

Hope your trip to MDA doesn't mean something serious is wrong with you or a family member.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bear said:
Shane, you wouldn't know if the pre tacoma IFS 4 piston calipers you referred to would fit on a Dana 44 would you?
Nope, they are a totally different mounting design. The dana calipers are what are called a floating caliper (I think). They float along bolts that attach to the backing plate. The toyota calipers are bolted directly to the knuckle (just like the tacoma calipers).

I have heard rumor of a 6 piston early model corvette caliper that will work but I hear they are expensive (depending on your definition of expensive) and I have not heard of anyone using them...

later!
shane

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I notice that the FJ-80 MC suggested in that link has a 1" bore and dual residuals....seems like I have heard that somewhere before. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
11 Participants
cb77DEMELLO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing