TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I don't know if that idea is brave or stupid…I do know it would be a lot (read as HUGE) job.

I still have reminents of IFS brackets on my truck. because we figured we could save some time and go ahead and start fabbing instead of using the time to grind off the rest of the brackets.

I would definitely look into buying a cutting torch. What I did was I bought the cutting torch set from Harbor freight (realizing I would not use it much afterwards) and basically rented the tanks of gas needed from a local supply house.

If you have never used one before it can be intimidating but it is do-able. just start off further away from the frame as you would think normal, and then "chip away" after the initial cuts and reduce the amount of excess.

On one of my front cross member brackets we gouged the frame with the cutting torch, but it was minor and we were able to fill in with the welder. I put a grinder to that weld and now I can't even remember where it was.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Bear

your right bro it was just a thought were did u rent the tanks and what stuff did u buy from harrbor freight do i just need the cutting tip since ill be renting the tanks or??

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Cut off as much you can with a sawzall and practice on the pieces with a torch. Once you are comfortable, hit the frame.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
A sazall and and angle grinder actually works pretty good. Start the cut with the angle grinder and finish the cut with the sawzall. The brackets we cut with only the angle grinder had a lot of crap left to trim off. The brackets cut with the sawzall were clean and really easy to clean up. Its also quiter cleaner and easier to use.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
the kit I bought from harbor freight had all the tips that you will need as well as the regulators and hoses. Basically everything you need (including cheesy goggles)

I wasn't sure how much gas I would need so I rented (purchased and returned) the largest tanks available. Ended up using about a quarter of the tank so I would say maybe a 20 gallon of both the argon and O2 would be enough for your project. (if the pros think I am off, please correct me)

You should be able to get the tanks as mentioned, at a welding supply house or anywhere you can buy gases.

The place I got my gas from is a welding supply. They do have a rental program, but the clerk was too lazy to do all the paperwork and told me that it was just as easy, and with the deposits, it was as cheap as renting the tanks.

Since finishing my SAC though. I wish I would have purchased the smaller tanks so I would have them on hand. I have had a few more projects that the cutting torch would have made easier. So if you have some extra funds and the space, you might want to consider just getting the smaller tanks if you buy the H.F special

by the way I caught the H.F kit on sale about this time of year. I know they are having a bunch of sales in the upcoming weeks/months.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I say my trim took less than that. Honestly I wouldn't know how long it took.

We spent the entire morning picking up remaining parts that we needed such as the gas and tires.

I got a phone call from the wife telling me she was leaving work early and was ready to be picked up (I had her car since we were cutting the taco)

I left just as we were ready to starting cutting. I picked up the wife and when I returned. my friend had my front suspension lying on the ground!

In reality it was better that way…I would have had a hard time watching/doing the first cut on my truck:D

the only way the cutting job would have been more perfect would have been if my buddy had all the grinding done as well.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I lasted about 2 minutes fucking with a sawzall and cut off wheel (a minute apiece) before I lit up the torch. Sure you might weaken the frame, but if you are going to plate it anyway who gives a crap?

Also keep in mind if you are nickle and diming this that sawzall blades are expensive as hell and don't last that long and cut off wheels with all those odd angles, etc. will get chewed up fast as hell and likely will get a piece or two of you with them.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Also keep in mind if you are nickle and diming this that sawzall blades are expensive as hell and don't last that long and cut off wheels with all those odd angles, etc. will get chewed up fast as hell and likely will get a piece or two of you with them.
One milwaukee torch blade cut my ifs off, and quick too. Those blades are beasts.

I'm on a 6 month sas time frame lol. So speed isn't my thing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I lasted about 2 minutes fucking with a sawzall and cut off wheel (a minute apiece) before I lit up the torch. Sure you might weaken the frame, but if you are going to plate it anyway who gives a crap?

yes, watch out what blades you buy, if you get "the torch" blades from milwakee and once they start getting hot change them, they are still sharp but the heat will make them bend and ruin them. either let them cool or just swap them with another and let them cool while using another one. i used only three on the whole truck and i sawsalled everything off then just used a grinder with a grinding wheel or a 36 grit flap wheel. one flap wheel toasted and one grinding wheel toasted. and two cut off wheels. so it was realatively cheap. maybe $20.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Make/find a friend who has a plasma cutter...or a torch...then get them to teach you. Cutting all that junk off with a sawzall or an angle grinder should be cruel and unusual punishment once you've done the former. Save your strength for the real work...cleaning up the frame with a grinder. :D

:welder:

·
Registered
305 Posts
you can get a whole lot closer to the frame with the torch too, so you dont have to spend all day grinding. We had to do mine in a weekend so a torch was no question

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the help

thanks guys i think ill try the sawzall method i have all my parts together and am just waiting to get my stuff cut i dont mind how long it takes as long as i have my axle sitting under there it will pay off

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.