TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys recommend, going to an Aussie locker up front or 35's? Last time out I got kinda pissed I couldn't run some stuff that I feel like I would have made on either 35's or a front locker. I know both are going to kill cv's but a front locker is a hell of a lot cheaper...

·
1,860 Posts
im not sure of your gearing, but if youre stock then 35s will more than likley kill that and you will need to regear. i have had great times with my puny little 33s. my jeep is the only vehicle ive had with f/r lockers...with an aussie you may have a hard time on tight trails unless u kick out 4wd due to its locked in anytime there is power to the diff

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
And no matter what there is gonna be "i could have made it if......" situations. Currently for me it's "i could make it if i had more power"

·
Registered
8,895 Posts

·
4,068 Posts
I would only recommend a full-time locker up front if you have or have converted to manual hubs.

I would personally go for the front locker, and go with an ARB, still cheaper than 35's if you were buying them new.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, shelling out $1k plus on an ARB is tough to swallow right now. I figured that I would sell my 33's to offset the cost of 35's somewhat. I'm graduating in spring so it looks like it may have to wait until then. I'm not crazy about a manual hub conversion either to run an Aussie, I'll end up with too much in both to not justify an ARB and get full selectability.

Orrrr just :saw: it all off and go tons and 40's like all the cool kids these days

·
Registered
223 Posts
Open on 35's won't kill cv's....it will kill spider gears

Locked on 33's will kill cv's not spider gears
Pics to show proof, happened this summer.

On 35's

Aussie

No manual hubs. Use to be the DD.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
What would you guys recommend, going to an Aussie locker up front or 35's? Last time out I got kinda pissed I couldn't run some stuff that I feel like I would have made on either 35's or a front locker. I know both are going to kill cv's but a front locker is a hell of a lot cheaper...
bad idea all around. want 35s? SAS.

·
Registered
796 Posts
33s and ARB up front. No CV issues/ still on OEM at 115k

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
33s and ARB up front. No CV issues/ still on OEM at 115k
You're doing it wrong then! :flipoff4:

Just kidding.
I never broke too many CV's until my front lockright quit unlocking.
Not sure what happened to it. With the hubs locked and transfer case in 2wd I still have all the steering wheel bind as if it was welded up front. Just need the motivation to pull the damn thing out and investigate.
After it started not unlocking, my breakage rate went up 10 fold.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're doing it wrong then! :flipoff4:

Just kidding.
I never broke too many CV's until my front lockright quit unlocking.
Not sure what happened to it. With the hubs locked and transfer case in 2wd I still have all the steering wheel bind as if it was welded up front. Just need the motivation to pull the damn thing out and investigate.
After it started not unlocking, my breakage rate went up 10 fold.
So in retrospect would you rather have waited and saved your money for an SAS instead of the locker and tires or was the bump in ability worth the extra cv breakage?

·
4,068 Posts
So in retrospect would you rather have waited and saved your money for an SAS instead of the locker and tires or was the bump in ability worth the extra cv breakage?
Just get the ARB, you can always get 90% of your money back out of it when (if) you do SAS eventually. Its a tough cookie to swallow, but tastes so good when you do. Locked Fr&R, even IFS can take you places.

SAS isn't for everybody, hell I wheeled mine 5 years before the swap, and rarely got denied following swapped rigs and buggies almost everywhere.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just get the ARB, you can always get 90% of your money back out of it when (if) you do SAS eventually. Its a tough cookie to swallow, but tastes so good when you do. Locked Fr&R, even IFS can take you places.

SAS isn't for everybody, hell I wheeled mine 5 years before the swap, and rarely got denied following swapped rigs and buggies almost everywhere.
Hell..looks like I'll be pulling some strings and eating ramen for a couple months now :rolleyes: You're right about being able to get my cost back if plans ever change, that makes it easier to swallow.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
No, I wouldn't have waited.
I think the front locker increased my trucks ability so much.
I don't think I would have gone as many places without it ( not confidently, at least). There was no way I could spend $800+ on an ARB though. My only option was a lockright and a twin-stick transfer case. That's a poor mans ARB.

IFS w/ 32s and ARBs front/rear and no issues as of yet.....but I know it's not a matter of if but when that I will eventually bust something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to push you out of the conversation but, the 05+ cv's and diff are so much stronger than the 95-04. I've seen guys on 35's and 37's locked without too many issues. Look at Lurry and his close friends..

·
4,068 Posts
Not to push you out of the conversation but, the 05+ cv's and diff are so much stronger than the 95-04. I've seen guys on 35's and 37's locked without too many issues. Look at Lurry and his close friends..
This is sooo true. I went everywhere locked on 37's and LT on my 05. Hell I had 37's on IFS long before lurry and his friends...first gen cv's are weak sauce.

ARB or twin stick and lockright or man hubs and lockright are your best options connor.

·
819 Posts
No, I wouldn't have waited.
I think the front locker increased my trucks ability so much.
I don't think I would have gone as many places without it ( not confidently, at least). There was no way I could spend $800+ on an ARB though. My only option was a lockright and a twin-stick transfer case. That's a poor mans ARB.

True.....my bad :D. At least I can vouch for the ARB being well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
laskt9
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing