TTORA Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You'll spend much more on the SAS than you might think and you'll still be buying lockers, only then they will seem cheap compared to all the other shit you'll be buying.
If you can't afford the ARB then you sure as hell can't afford an axle swap. All things considered the 1K for the ARB will net you a lot of fun until you can afford to swap. Even then you could probably sell it to someone else starting to come along that path to financial ruin they call off roading.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You'll spend much more on the SAS than you might think and you'll still be buying lockers, only then they will seem cheap compared to all the other shit you'll be buying.
If you can't afford the ARB then you sure as hell can't afford an axle swap. All things considered the 1K for the ARB will net you a lot of fun until you can afford to swap. Even then you could probably sell it to someone else starting to come along that path to financial ruin they call off roading.
It wasn't as much about the dollar amount as it is that I just had a mental block about spending that much on ifs. But as you guys have pointed out, I can just resell and recoup most of the cost if/when I SAS. So I'll prolly go ARB.

Shit, walked down that path to ruin when I got into national level kart racing. $1k a weekend before you blink...if you don't tear anything up.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I am eyeing up an autolocker to hold me over until an SAS (when i move out of this god forsaken hell hole to a place where there is more wheeling i.e out west) and when i find one for the right price. I have triple sticks, my add wired to a switch, and i wheel like a pussy so i figure ill be okay breakage wise. I love the stability of being low and on IFS and the reliability that i have right now (broke my first CV this summer since buying my taco in 05. Broke it on the easiest part of the trail exit.) If your itiching for a mod right now, look into a crawler, it will improve your offroad ability more than the 35s or lockers combined, but it will be around a grand to setup if you shop smartly, but worth evrey penny. SAS is overated for this terrain, you can handle 95% of terrain with a rear locker, ifs, 33s, a crawler, a winch, and a disregard for body damage because ive done it (especially at attica). You will also be a far better driver for it, so when you do get the SAS you can keep it low, on smaller tires and embarass your friends with 37s and tons always breaking shit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am eyeing up an autolocker to hold me over until an SAS (when i move out of this god forsaken hell hole to a place where there is more wheeling i.e out west) and when i find one for the right price. I have triple sticks, my add wired to a switch, and i wheel like a pussy so i figure ill be okay breakage wise. I love the stability of being low and on IFS and the reliability that i have right now (broke my first CV this summer since buying my taco in 05. Broke it on the easiest part of the trail exit.) If your itiching for a mod right now, look into a crawler, it will improve your offroad ability more than the 35s or lockers combined, but it will be around a grand to setup if you shop smartly, but worth evrey penny. SAS is overated for this terrain, you can handle 95% of terrain with a rear locker, ifs, 33s, a crawler, a winch, and a disregard for body damage because ive done it (especially at attica). You will also be a far better driver for it, so when you do get the SAS you can keep it low, on smaller tires and embarass your friends with 37s and tons always breaking shit.
Fwiw I've got an auto in my truck so I'm unsure about a crawler. I've only had a time or two I've really thought to myself that I've wanted a lower crawl gear. I'll say something to Jeremy and see what his thoughts are because if I remember right he's auto with a crawlbox right?

I feel ya on moving out of Chicago...I'm semi dreading the thought of moving up to Itasca for work this spring/summer

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
With a slush box you don't really the the low 4.7 gears as it would be overkill with the torque converter but another stockish low range won't hurt when you stack em up at the tricky spots. However lots of auto folks get the low gears anyway. That's the "more of anything is always better" school of thought.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know this is a super old thread but I ran 35s and an Aussie locker in my first rig for over a year and never broke anything. I had 4.88 gears and drove it to school every day in Chicago traffic too. After I got a new daily I took it up north and went to a quarry. Didn't break a cv or anything in the diff. I snapped the shaft coming out of the steering box!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
laskt9
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing