TTORA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Ted said:
This is your truck on IFS

This is the same truck after a solid axle swap.

Not to be an asshat but......if that truck was on the same spot of the rock in both pics, with the wheel turned the same way in both pics....it wouldnt be that much of a difference. Dont get me wrong, the sas im sure is stronger and articulates better, but find some more accurate pics :rolleyes:

FlatFatTaco said:
Not to be an asshat but......if that truck was on the same spot of the rock in both pics, with the wheel turned the same way in both pics....it wouldnt be that much of a difference. Dont get me wrong, the sas im sure is stronger and articulates better, but find some more accurate pics :rolleyes:
http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album94

look through this (rather huge) batch of pics from last summer's Ribicon trip. We had 6 IFS trucks make it but the rest were SA rigs. This should give you a good idea of the differences as you can compare different rigs on the same obstacles.

synovus said:
What lift(s) are you running? What other modifications?
OME 882/N91 combo up front. 2.5 AAL and 1.5 downey shackle in the rear. 3 inch BL. Custom sliders, front bumper(warn M8000 in bumper), rear bumper, shock relocate. Flat belly by budbuilt :welder: Lockrights in the front and rear. Trucks a 2000 Reg cab 2.7 automatic. 4.56 gears, 36x12.5 TSL radials(soon to be replaced by 37 mt/rs for DD purposes).

Josh

hytenor said:
http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album94

look through this (rather huge) batch of pics from last summer's Ribicon trip. We had 6 IFS trucks make it but the rest were SA rigs. This should give you a good idea of the differences as you can compare different rigs on the same obstacles.

Oh im not dissin at all! Im just saying that picture is wack because of the angle and position of the tire on the rock. I have a full width D44 in my possesion now im prepping for install in the not so distant future. (plan on running a tundra housing in the rear for the fullwidth effect ;) ) Anywho, i just think people should take IFS to its limits before swapping in a front axle, which happens to be the "new" or "cool" thing to do. IFS does have its weak points, but very few on this board will take it to those limits. Thats all i was getting at.

Joshua W. Walsh

SteveO said:
For the clearance underneath, assuming both trucks are running the same size tire the IFS will actually have more clearance between the wheels. The solid axle has a pumpkin that hangs down below the center point of the wheel but the IFS diff is tucked up and the CV's angle down to the center of the wheel.
This is half true, but as a tire goes up on a solid axle truck, the diff goes up. On an IFS truck as the tire goes up the diff gets closer and closer to the ground. So, a IFS can have better ground clearance for driving over small children without killing them, for going over rocks a solid axle has better clearance. I believe this is the primary reason next to articulation to do a SAS...

Tacominator said:
This is half true, but as a tire goes up on a solid axle truck, the diff goes up. On an IFS truck as the tire goes up the diff gets closer and closer to the ground. So, a IFS can have better ground clearance for driving over small children without killing them, for going over rocks a solid axle has better clearance. I believe this is the primary reason next to articulation to do a SAS...
The IFS diff will still never be lower than the center of the wheel though and the SA diff will always be. I see what you're saying though but I was thinking more of clearance in ruts etc. where my truck has a huge advantage over a Jeep with same tires because I'm only dragging one diff. .....Steve

None of the responders have told you the unfortunate truth that SAS is dead. Sorry, gotta stick with IFS. Dies last year sometime I think.

Well, I guess i should have said safer on the street... Better handling around turns, faster stopping better at quick manuvers. That is my understanding why all these car manufacturers make the expensive IFS over the solid. Remember I have a SAS, I'm not dissing them at all! Although, I must say mine is softer than an IFS Tacoma too.

John Doe said:
Those pictures showing the difference in Articulation between the IFS and SAS, they relly put things into perspective.

To some leval most people are like that at some point in time, though I would hope they grow/ learn there way out of it. I know I will be like that for a little, just not to an extreme leval.
I didn't mean that everyone who leaves the pavement should carry every part or tool known to man. Lots of people around here who have done axle swaps did them to be able to run difficult trails like the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim. I would hope that everyone who plans on running trails like that would at least carry some basic tools and parts that commonly break like axles.

Later,
....Mike

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Oh, of corse. I would think any one that doesnot is not that smart. I was just refering to anything much above and byond that.

I don't carry spare axles but I do have chromos so probably dont need no stinkin spare axles. How many have you broken so far? Bout time you ponied up the cash and got the good shit. After all, how many junkyard stockers are you going to go through before you get tired of changing them and getting a dirty/greasesy and shit out on the trails and things and stuff like that. Huh?

Tacominator said:
Well, I guess i should have said safer on the street... Better handling around turns, faster stopping better at quick manuvers. That is my understanding why all these car manufacturers make the expensive IFS over the solid. Remember I have a SAS, I'm not dissing them at all! Although, I must say mine is softer than an IFS Tacoma too.

What you said originally is supported by the physics, ie unsprung weight is increased in SAS and no way to isolate the articulation at each front wheel.

Tacominator said:
IFS rides better on the street and does much better on washboard type surfaces... It's certainly an owner preference, usage decision here...
not when you have a front coilover SA ;) some of those rigs handle better than and are more stable than most ifs.

SteveO said:
For the clearance underneath, assuming both trucks are running the same size tire the IFS will actually have more clearance between the wheels. The solid axle has a pumpkin that hangs down below the center point of the wheel but the IFS diff is tucked up and the CV's angle down to the center of the wheel.

In my case thats doesnt seem to be true I had more clearance from the ground to the bottom of the ifs box than I do now I lost 2" with a super lift 4" susp. Or maybe they did something wrong but I drang on eveything.

Aaron

xcmountain80 said:
In my case thats doesnt seem to be true I had more clearance from the ground to the bottom of the ifs box than I do now I lost 2" with a super lift 4" susp. Or maybe they did something wrong but I drang on eveything.

Aaron
right, all the 'drop-bracket' type lifts have this problem. they are a real pain in deep snow.

Depending on how hi i crank my coilovers I can have up to 14" to my front skid ;) You'd need some huge tires to get that much under the average SA's pumpkin.

Solid axle will out flex IFS any day of the week (assuming swaybars disconnected, comparable spring rates, etc). Solid axles are stronger (again, assuming a decent axles is used), solid axles are better for all forms of wheelin, except high speed type (dunes, baja, fast washboards, etc).

But a fully locked IFS taco (front and rear) should be able to go anywhere, and probably more places, that an open (front and rear) SAS taco could go.

And if you are looking to do hard core crawling, then a truck was a bad choice for that. You should have bought a SWB jeep or fj, or be preparred to bob your bed and add a TON of armor.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.