TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
by posting this.... LOL oh well.

It's about time a stupid lawsuit gets tossed out!

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A judge has dismissed a lawsuit against the social networking Web site MySpace filed by the family of a 13-year-old girl who says she was sexually assaulted by a 19-year-old man she met online.

The $30 million lawsuit accused the site of having no measures to protect children who use it. The lawsuit also named MySpace's parent company, News Corp., and the 19-year-old, whose criminal case has not yet gone to trial.

In a ruling issued Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks said MySpace is protected under the Communications Decency Act and cannot be expected to verify the age of every user because that "would of course stop MySpace's business in its tracks."

The decency act cited by Sparks generally grants immunity to interactive computer services such as MySpace so that they are not liable for content posted by users. Without immunity, companies such as MySpace "would be crippled by lawsuits arising out of third-party communications," Sparks wrote.

An attorney for the girl and her family said they will file an appeal.

"This is allowing sites like MySpace to avoid the responsibility to make the Internet safe for children," Jason Itkin said. "MySpace knows its Web site is a playground for sexual predators. Because of that, MySpace should be doing some very basic safety precautions."

In a statement, MySpace officials applauded the judge's decision that the company isn't responsible for "wrongdoing committed by individuals who visit our site."

The lawsuit was brought by the Austin girl, who alleges that Pete Solis, of Buda, lied in his MySpace profile about being a high school senior to gain her trust and phone number. Solis was arrested May 19 on a charge of sexual assault of a child.

MySpace, which has become a lightning rod for warnings about online sexual predators, is a social networking Web site that lets users post photos, blogs and journals. There have been scattered accounts of sexual predators targeting minors they met through the site.

The site has more than 100 million registered users and purports to be the most visited Web site in the United States.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Purchase this AP story for reprint.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
you would be surprised! I have a lot of friends with teenagers with Myspace accounts!

My teens think they need their own accounts as well! Of coarse I have banned them from that site and monitor them closely.

What is ironic though is that they can get to Myspace from the schools computers! which really pisses me off!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
So you seem to be researching legal issues here lately, something you want to share with the class? LOL

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Bear said:
you would be surprised! I have a lot of friends with teenagers with Myspace accounts!

My teens think they need their own accounts as well! Of coarse I have banned them from that site and monitor them closely.

What is ironic though is that they can get to Myspace from the schools computers! which really pisses me off!
I mean 16 years old...OK whatever, but 13?! For real?! I think I was one of the last years in my generation that grew up not dependent on technology...that's just ridiculous...we had the old school Oregon Trail hahaha that was about it

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Bear said:
So you seem to be researching legal issues here lately, something you want to share with the class? LOL
LOL bear i have heard you lecture about this before. As some of you know, i am still in high school and my Dad is positioned in Toyota so we move around A LOT! I can firmly tell you that every school i have been too has myspace blocked. If you are concerned, i'm sure you could set up a meeting with a principal and make sure the site is being blocked from your children's schools. However, you cant stop your children from going to friends houses or getting on at the library. Oh, the other thing they can use is proxys which will get past most blocks.

There is so much shit out their, its hard to keep a firm hand wat your kids do. Just talk to your kids and explain why myspace is wrong and what your trying to protect them from. HAHAHAHHA a teenager giving an adult with kids parenting advice!

·
Registered
532 Posts
they can blame myspace and try to extort them and exploit their child's rape for money all they want but it happened simply because of bad parenting and nothing else. any 13 year old that goes to meet and fuck a high school senior they met on the internet is the product of bad parenting plain and simple and the parents should not be paid millions for it and they should not expect a web company to do their parenting for them. want your kids not to get raped by pervs on myspace? pay more attention to them and teach them to not be so stupid and slutty. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
you aint telling me anything I don't already know about! and that is why my kids think I am the devil spawned nazi! I won't let them do squat! wha wha wha!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Myspace is for the Devil.

Myspace = Fat girls with photoshop skills and sad fucks who have no game to pick up a girl( not because there fat)

·
Registered
532 Posts
BRUUUP said:
Myspace is for the Devil.

Myspace = Fat girls with photoshop skills and sad fucks who have no game to pick up a girl( not because there fat)
sounds like you have experience with this. its ok, we have all made drunken mistakes before.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
purity said:
sounds like you have experience with this. its ok, we have all made drunken mistakes before.

fat ugly drunken mistakes...hey don't you have a kid?!

ohhhhhhhhhh I went there...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
10 Participants
Oppositeboy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing