TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wheeling this weekend and hitting my stock bumper AGAIN I decided to finally use some parts that I've had in my garage for a while. So I started to build a new front bumper. It is based around a TG 2nd gen winch mount. After doing some cutting on the stock mounts, completely welding where the factory didn't feel that it was necessary to weld and gusset the mount I could then start the bumper. It will be bolted to the stock mount with 4- 1/2" bolts and and 2 additional 1/2" bolts dropped thru the mount and the frame.

This will definitely help my approach angle. I now have 47*. The main bumper will be 2x2 square tube and have round hood/light protection.

*** No, the frame mount is not complete and does get more done to it***

·
Registered
969 Posts
I like the idea of having the hitch receiver in there. ;)

·
20,355 Posts
Good start. I will be looking at a front bumper among other things after last week in moab.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a little work today. I figured since wood is quicker an easier to work with I would go that way. A couple of clamps and some tape and I'm on my way.

Just kidding. I made a quick wood one to get the shape, position and a template. I will be leaving about 3/4" between the bumper and the body.

Do you think this will be enough space for frame flex?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just from an aesthetic standpoint I would bring the front of your tubing to almost flush with the front of your winch... it will eat up some of the gap on the top...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is tucked back as far as it can go. It's almost touching the winch. It can't go over the winch because then it'll be too high. It sits out about as far as the stock bumper, minus the "fat lip". I'm going to do my hood/grill protection hoops like the Shrockworks bumpers are, a slight lean toward the hood. This will visualy draw it back in. I'll also have some lights mounted over the winch filling the space.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I see a lot of room behind the winch that you could have tucked it more...

Don't get me wrong it's coming together. I would have just used plate in the front and tied the square tube in on either side of the winch...

I have a similar gap on the front of my truck and I prefer it to be covered or tucked. MrDoug's Badlands bumper is a good example.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
That 2" square tube looks a little familiar :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Actually my front is a Badlands bumper, I think that's what you're referring to.

Tucking that winch up close is important tho... I bashed my fairlead a few times in moab last week.

Yeah but the rock gave... ok, Badlands it is... either way it makes sense to cover the top.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Hmmm.....

Now you've got me wanting to start piecing together/fabbing up a front bumper for my truck! :eek:

Looks good, are you planning to plate it to clean up some of the gaps and such?

·
20,355 Posts
Has me thinking the same thing. Your progress looks great! Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finished the main bumper yesterday and got a quick coat of paint on in the wind. Not the best finish but enough to protect it for now. Next I need to wire up the winch, get and mount a fairlead, spool on my rope. My family has a trip to MOAB planed for Thanksgiving. If I have time I'll be adding the protection hoops.

The ends of the bumper by the wheel wells are in the same place that the stock bumper was. I don't think the tire will be hitting it.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts