TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
Cool, i may be giving you a call then. I plan on starting the layout for mine this weekend. The first thing i will have to figure out is mounting. Mine will be lower profile though as i think i am going to pass on the winch mount and just put a 2X2 reciever in it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Since I had the winch mount and most of a winch I had to go that way.

Building a mock-up from wood worked great. I just had to rember that I was building with 2x2 and 2x2 wood is only 1.5x1.5. Not a bug deal but had to rember what side to measure from the mock-up to steel. It was good to keep hacking away at wood to get the right lengths and angles.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You did a great job with your bumper. i just picked up on this thread, so if anyone is following along and liking what was done here I have a few ideas to toss about and get you thinking...
I got friendly with a local shop (read as "spend money there"), and the guy let me use his tubing bender. A case of beer or green in his pocket would do the trick too.. then I would take the long pieces home and cope them to my liking -
But FIRST - I reinforced the snot out of the stock frame horns - I felt those were too spindly for the torque and leverage that it would see.
To start the bumper, I welded the end of a short piece of tube closed, drilled a hole in the center and then bolted it to the front of the frame horn. That gave me a 3" tube sticking straight forward from which I could build.
I left the winch off, and just put in a reciever so I could put the winch on the back, on another truck, wherever.
In order to get the maximum possible approach angle, and keep the reciever as low and back as possible (to decrease leverage) I made the front tube center section removable to clearance the winch when it is mounted.
To keep the Aux lights as far back and protected as possible, I cut some vertical slats out of the grille (three per side) and set the lights flush to the front of the grill - even my deep, ballast integrated HIDs fit there cleanly.
Looks like you were able to keep the radiator skid, but since I went with a SAS, my radiator was very vulnerable so I had to make an extention for a skid - the local shop also has dimple dies, and I have a press, so.....the skid got swiss cheese'd and dimpled, and mike's pocket got $10 fatter.
Some mounting tabs and aluminum panels will hide all the ugly back there and offer better air flow around the bumper as well.
I also think that headlight hoops and a stinger of sorts is a good idea - seeing as how we live where the deer and the elk-a-lope play. I made the hieght of mine just enough so that I could see the top of the tube from the drivers seat. This I find handy for tight manuvers, yet does not encroach upon visiblity.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents - hope someone finds it helpful.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You might want to consider some hoops around the Hellas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGt2ZwFZKPU
about 1:44 in ...
Troy
They are set back pretty far but I have been thinking of how to protect them without obscuring them. Maybe do a Lexan panel. I wanted to keep them low because they are foglights and they hide alot of stock sheet metal.

It's also good to see Ron on the trail. Hopefully you'll get things straight and get back on the trail.

Packrat
Do you have any pictures of your build. I'm not sure if I can integrate any of your designs into mine at this point but I would like to see what you did. My plans do include some grill/light hoops.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I really like where they are, and if I hadn't bashed in a light in pretty much the same place, I would say it's fine... but I bent the crap out of a 3/16 mounting plate for the turn signal - a glass lensed Hella would be toast.

Even a piece of rod (like rebar, maybe) bent to connect the angled pieces and loop around in front of the bottom of the light would do the trick I think.

Lexan, etc is just gonna get scratched and look like ass after the first trip down a dirt road ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes I do have pics and have just signed up with photobucket - so very soon I'll upload some photos for y'all

If you like the location of your fog lights, maybe consider some with smaller Dia. 'cause it appears as though those suckers are gonna get smashed on rocks, or cracked from gravel as they are. IMHO - but.... they look way cool in there I have to admit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ive been succesful at loading up some pics of my front bumper - the finished product, not the build up - seems I was too busy building to take pics at the time :-(

see http://photobucket.com/packrat_evolution

other photos there to gander at as well

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Most of my bumper is 11awg (.120) a few pieces are 14awg (.083). I ended up with some 14awg in less critical places. I know that the 11awg is plenty strong since I've built a couple of sets of sliders out of it and they have been bashed and are still straight. I'm not worried about the 14awg either.

·
20,355 Posts
Cool, when i talked to the steel place up hear in FoCo they didnt mention 11 ga. Only 10 wich is .135" so it may be alittle over built. I will look for some 11 gauge though before i buy any steel.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts