TTORA Forum banner
161 - 180 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
update time!!!!!!

so its been a wile since i have updated this so here it goes.....

dropping the diff off at porc on monday to get gears put in it and as soon as i get my taxes back im gona be picking up my transmission :D . so as soon as i get the transmission i will be taking both the transmission and the transfer case to the garage that we take our cars too to let them change out the fluids and check/make sure nothing is wrong with either of them so that everything will work when i get it all put together :D . front drive shaft will be here sometime this week. so that leaves me with 2 small parts to get....

*rear drive shaft
*front portion of center console

for the rear drive shaft could it be possible to take a front drive shaft to a drivetrain shop and have then cut it, extend it, and sleeve/reinforce the living hell out of it and make it the right length. or should i just get a rear one?

im gona call it right now and say month tops till this thing is 4x4!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
for the rear drive shaft could it be possible to take a front drive shaft to a drivetrain shop and have then cut it, extend it, and sleeve/reinforce the living hell out of it and make it the right length. or should i just get a rear one?

im gona call it right now and say month tops till this thing is 4x4!!!!!!
Excellent Matt!!

Other than bolts and fluids, I'm ready to start my conversion. I've advertised for help on the SoCal chapter board ;)
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95329

I don't think the front DS will work, but all you need is the front half of the 4x4 driveshaft. If a driveline shop is going to have to fab you something, just have them shorten that section of your current DS. The 4x4 DS I picked up looks like it needs a good going over, at a minimum replacing all the u-joints removing surface rust and repainting. So I'm going to see if the front section will bolt up to my current carrier/cardon joint and rear half. I know my current u-joints are good, so all I'll have to replace is the forward most u-joint.

Good luck!

Rick

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Excellent Matt!!

Other than bolts and fluids, I'm ready to start my conversion. I've advertised for help on the SoCal chapter board ;)
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95329

I don't think the front DS will work, but all you need is the front half of the 4x4 driveshaft. If a driveline shop is going to have to fab you something, just have them shorten that section of your current DS. The 4x4 DS I picked up looks like it needs a good going over, at a minimum replacing all the u-joints removing surface rust and repainting. So I'm going to see if the front section will bolt up to my current carrier/cardon joint and rear half. I know my current u-joints are good, so all I'll have to replace is the forward most u-joint.

Good luck!

Rick
so you would just give them a measurement and my current drive shaft and tell them to shorten it?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
so you would just give them a measurement and my current drive shaft and tell them to shorten it?
I can't see why not... My thinking is:

The carrier/cardon joint/center support bolts to the same location for both the prerunners and 4x4's

(Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

If this is the case then only the front half of the 2-piece DS needs to be altered /changed.

Rick

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
The center support bearing has about 1" of adjustment built into it, so as long as you get it close, it'll work. If you're going with OEM parts (stock Tacoma T-Case, and 4WD Transmission) - i.e. NOT modifying your PreRunner trans like I did - then you can take your PreRunner Driveshaft off the truck, and take the front half to a driveline shop. Tell them it needs to have 12" taken out of it.

A PreRunner Driveshaft is 39 1/2" long.
A Stock 4WD Tacoma Driveshaft is 27 1/2" long.

Don't try to modify a front D-shaft to work for the rear. It'll be too heavy.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63114

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
The center support bearing has about 1" of adjustment built into it, so as long as you get it close, it'll work. If you're going with OEM parts (stock Tacoma T-Case, and 4WD Transmission) - i.e. NOT modifying your PreRunner trans like I did - then you can take your PreRunner Driveshaft off the truck, and take the front half to a driveline shop. Tell them it needs to have 12" taken out of it.

A PreRunner Driveshaft is 39 1/2" long.
A Stock 4WD Tacoma Driveshaft is 27 1/2" long.

Don't try to modify a front D-shaft to work for the rear. It'll be too heavy.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63114
cool thanks for the measurements. atlroach (kyle) over on the ga chapter said i should just go and take it to a drive train shop and have them shorten it for me.

oh and taxes are in :D !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I remember Hytenor saying something about the Flange bolt pattern on the rear driveshaft of a pre-runner being different than that of a 4x4... measure to make sure this pesky little detail doesn't strike at the wrong time....

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I remember Hytenor saying something about the Flange bolt pattern on the rear driveshaft of a pre-runner being different than that of a 4x4...
I've never heard of that, and it doesn't really make sense to me...

BUT - unfortunately I can't confirm or dispute that. I just happened to get a good deal on a 4WD driveshaft. I had that one shortened and used it for my conversion.

...so if there is possibly a difference, you better check that out.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I remember Hytenor saying something about the Flange bolt pattern on the rear driveshaft of a pre-runner being different than that of a 4x4... measure to make sure this pesky little detail doesn't strike at the wrong time....
I've never heard of that, and it doesn't really make sense to me...

BUT - unfortunately I can't confirm or dispute that. I just happened to get a good deal on a 4WD driveshaft. I had that one shortened and used it for my conversion.

...so if there is possibly a difference, you better check that out.
I guess I'll find out soon enough....

Rick

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
New tranny mount???

Was away reading YotaTech and saw this. Someone doing a 2x to 4x conversion has run into a situation where the transmission mount needs to be moved after installing the A340F transmission. Here is a picture he posted up.

Here is the thread
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/4x4-automatic-transmission-mounts-137235/

Also, check out the Sonoran Steel writeup on conversion
http://www.sonoransteel.com/2WDto4WD_Conversion/index.htm

Another solution for that crossmember is pictured in photo(s) #72-76

Rick

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hahhaha....:D thats me....I don't think this applys to Tacomas does it?
Sure is.... I hope you don't mind me 'stealing' the pic ;)

In about a week, I'll find out if this applies to Tacos also...

How is your conversion going?

Rick

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
cool thanks for the measurements. atlroach (kyle) over on the ga chapter said i should just go and take it to a drive train shop and have them shorten it for me.

oh and taxes are in :D !!!!!!!!
about fucking time you got this show on the road :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Progress has slowed to a dead stop... I lost my job:rolleyes: Now on to a job hunt:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
that sucks man.... im actually about to go back to school so im trying to get this done before i go back and run out of $$$$ again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
i just got home from dropping the diff off at PORC to get the 4.56's put in it :D

i also got the ceneter console ordered and the missing mount for my diff!!!! now i play the waiting game for all my parts to come in :D

161 - 180 of 364 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.