TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie with a question. I wasn't to sure what topic to post, so forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I have an 01' doublecab with the orginial battery(AC/Delco) when I bought the truck new. I've been noticing the last week or so that it's not as strong sounding as it use to be.

I have been searching the internet for the best battery, and have found all kinds of good, bad, and the ugly.

I used your search feature here and see that some of you here like Optima and Odessey, but they don't seem to have as many CA's and CCA's as some I have found. For instance, the Duralast Gold 24F has 935 CA's -850CCA's, but the Odessey 1200MJT has 1200 CA's but only 550CCA's. If they are that good, I don't mind paying top dollar. I have never personally known anyone that has used one of these batteries. So tell me about these brands if you know anything about them.

I've heard good things about the Autozone Duralast Gold, Intersate Mega-Trons, and some Excides. Diehards are like most Sears products and appears to be hit or miss nowadays.

I don't offroad, but I might.... I stress might again. I used to years ago when I was a teenager up to about when I turned 22 or so(about the time I met my wife) and I would rather buy something that gives me the option to do so, without have to upgrade later. Like I said, I don't mind paying good money for top quailty.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Reserve capacity (rated in minutes) is more important than CCA in our applications. Odyssey batteries are AWESOME, but spendy. In my experience, Optima Red tops haven't been much better than "normal" batteries, just more expensive. (I haven't owned a yellow top) Others have had much better luck with them.

I was just shopping for a battery, and went with the DieHard Truck/SUV (mostly because I couldn't find anyone with Odysseys in stock). More CCA and reserve than an Optima and about $50 cheaper than a red top at Costco. One thing about DieHard batteries and Craftsman tools - if you have a problem, you can ALWAYS find a Sears nearby to deal with it...

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are only 3 major conventional battery manufacturers in the u.s., duralast are made by exide, my advice- wallyworld -get the best grade, i forgot what they are called, but i have had excellent luck with them for years. If your charging system and cables are in good shape it should last a looong time, your oem lasted 6 years. If you are going to wheel with a winch and accesories then get a sealed agm battery, i have used them in my motorcycles and quads for years, maintenance free and almost indestructible. agm=absorbed glass mat

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
odysseys rule!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
jimbo74 said:
odysseys rule!

This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out jimbo74. You say Odessey rules, others say don't waste your money. I'm rather confused.

I hear I need to look at CCA's , then NOOO....it's reserve time.

Here's what I have found:

Odessey 1200... 550 CCA's/78 min. Reserve

Optima Redtop 34R...1000CA's/800CCA's/104min. reserve

Optima Yellowtop D35...810 CA's/650 CCA's/98 min. reserve

Diehard Marine Starting 24MS...765 CCA's/CA's not listed/ 135 min. reserve

Diehard Gold...700 CCA's/CA's not listed/120 min. reserve

Duralast Gold 24F-DLG....935 CA's/750 CCA's/ no reserve listed

When I look at this info, I see some of the old fashion batteries with higher CCA's and reserve than the Odessey or Optima.

The Odessey seems to have a very low CCA's (550) for 1200 CA's ???

I see from searching that some say the Optima's aren't what they used to be, some say they are, but get the Yellowtop. But the Yellowtop for my truck has lower CCA's/CA's/ and reserve than the Redtop.

Then both of the Optima's have higher CCA's and reserve than the Odessey.

I'm really trying to make heads or tails about this info!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i had a red top for about 5 years and i was impressed with it. i could park it for parades and have the music pretty loud for 6 or 7 hours, and i had a big bass amp hooked up. another thing that i liked about it was that once it went dead, it charged back up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just picked up an Interstate battery at Sam's a couple of months ago. Something like $55 or so. What can I say?.......it works.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
consumer reports did a report on batteries last summer/fall.
i picked one up at wally world last year with plenty of CCA and a great prorated warranty for a decent price.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Get an AGM, google agm battery and read all you want about why its better than a gel. If you must go gel, avoid optima. I'm friends with a local parts store manager who had 20 of his 60 optimas come back because of failure. He has tested some that were dead before he even sold them. Sounds like
Quality Control is non existant.

·
Registered
351 Posts
007 said:
Get an AGM, google agm battery and read all you want about why its better than a gel. If you must go gel, avoid optima. I'm friends with a local parts store manager who had 20 of his 60 optimas come back because of failure. He has tested some that were dead before he even sold them. Sounds like
Found this too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorbent_glass_mat

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
When I ran traditional lead-acid wet batteries in my truck, after like 2-3 years of off-roading, one or more of the cells would short out because the lead that got shaken off of the plates from the vibration. I've since switched to an Optima to see if that will outlast the traditional battery. Based on design it should last longer. I guess I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
007 said:
Optima is an AGM battery ... and your friend's experience with Optimas mirrors some people i know.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I vote Duralast Gold or Optima. Don't see many of them get returned and one is much cheaper than the other. If you're not running winches, lights, amps, and what not I'd go w/ the Duralast. Good warranty. Like 3 year free replacement and 7 year pro rated or something? I have an Optima, but only time will tell if it was worth it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
My understanding is that Optima had a period a couple of years ago when there were a lot of QC problems, and their reputation suffered. I don't know if they ever really fixed whatever the problem was, but I do know they acknowledged a significant 'issue' during a particular period.

I've had a Red Top (34R) for about 3 years. When it's charged, it cranks better than the stock 2004 battery (Delphi?). On the other hand, I've noticed it seems to die (lose all charge) as quickly or more quickly than a 'regular' battery if the truck has to sit for, say, 10 days or longer. No, there don't seem to be any shorts or current drains ... It does take a boost and then works fine if and when it drains.

Because of this, I'm not as enthusiastic about the Optima as I was when I got it. Perhaps I ended up with one of the 'bad period' Red Tops - I don't know. I haven't (yet ...) gotten so soured on it that I'm motivated to swap it out, but I have to admit this battery has required boosting like no stock Toyota battery I've ever seen.

If I had it to do all over again, I think I woulda waited until the stock battery started showing signs of weakness before I invested in the Optima ... Just my .02 ...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
n9emz said:
x2 on Wally*World....yellow, 1000 CCA "Neverstart." No problems with vehicle or the winch. $58 and take it back when it screws up.
Who makes it?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have had bad luck with optima and great luck with oddysey. Spin the wheel and pick one. Two dead optimas, no dead oddysey's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
ljschnel said:
Who makes it?
"Everstart" is the private label name for Wal*Mart. They could be manufactured for Wally*World by any manufacturer local to their sales region. Primary manufacturers are Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To the Original poster, If you think you MIGHT wheel a little bit, don't waste your money on an AGM battery. A regular battery will be fine. Get a top quality one, but you don't need the AGM. I've had Optima red tops, and regular batteries, and only had problem with the regualr ones. (Problems being shorted plates from off roading and excessive pounding.) Except the 2 year old Delphi in my wifes Odyssey that crapped out. It did'nt last like it should've so we put a "neverstart" in it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts