TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm liking the 4.88 gears I just installed a lot. If you've read my other recent thread you'll know I destoyed my stock 3.73 ring & pinion last weekend and instead of having Toyota replace it, I had 4.88's installed to get me on the road until I can get the parts rounded up to do the same to the front differential. So yeah, I'm stuck with a 2 wheel drive for now. Anyway, today was the first full day of driving around with the new ratio and while I'll be quick to admit it's not for the guys that want to keep a car like feel to their truck, I gotta say IMHO shifting through the 6 gears finally feels like it should have from the start. Before the gear change I was always hitting the wrong gear, especially like when your coming to a stop for a red light and then the light turns green and you're still to fast to go to first, but not quite fast enough to have any power in second. You 6sp guys know what I'm talking about. So, in town anyway I can see why everyone says you wind up saving a little gas by regearing for bigger tires. I definitely don't feel the need for as much throttle pedal to get me moving as before. On the highway my speedo is about 10 mph off now, so with 33" tires and an indicated 75 mph I'm at a real 65 mph and my rpm's are about 2700 rpm. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's fine with me since I didn't buy my truck to go zipping around very much faster than that. If you want to know how 4.88's would sorta feel on the highway imagine driving around without a sixth gear. Back down in the lower gears, first feels really low as you can imagine but second is still a little high to start off in all the time. It could probably be done but it feels easier on the drive train to just keep using first. I might feel differently after a while but for now I'll keep using first to get moving from a stand still. Anyway, if you're an '05 owner that wheels (or tows) a lot and you are thinking about regearing for your 33"+ tires and you're worried (like I was) that 4.88's would be to low, my vote is to go for it. It's still a lot of money for our year models so if anyone wants to check out how your truck would feel with 4.88's I'd be glad to let you take mine for a spin, with me in it of course. ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
mandzach said:
I plan on going with 33's and looked into getting 4.10's but was told a few times that gears for the truck (07' Taco OR w/EL) as well as FJ's are not in stock???
Where did you get yours?
The front 8" diff. gears are what's hard to come by. You CAN get them in a 4.10 from toyota though, since it's the standard ratio on the 4cyl 4x4. The rears are easy to come by since it's the same 8" e-locker diff. that Toyota has used for years. All Pro is getting 4.88's for the front which is why I decided on that ratio.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rogersja63 said:
As the title says, I'm liking the 4.88 gears I just installed a lot. If you've read my other recent thread you'll know I destoyed my stock 3.73 ring & pinion last weekend and instead of having Toyota replace it, I had 4.88's installed to get me on the road until I can get the parts rounded up to do the same to the front differential. So yeah, I'm stuck with a 2 wheel drive for now. Anyway, today was the first full day of driving around with the new ratio and while I'll be quick to admit it's not for the guys that want to keep a car like feel to their truck, I gotta say IMHO shifting through the 6 gears finally feels like it should have from the start. Before the gear change I was always hitting the wrong gear, especially like when your coming to a stop for a red light and then the light turns green and you're still to fast to go to first, but not quite fast enough to have any power in second. You 6sp guys know what I'm talking about. So, in town anyway I can see why everyone says you wind up saving a little gas by regearing for bigger tires. I definitely don't feel the need for as much throttle pedal to get me moving as before. On the highway my speedo is about 10 mph off now, so with 33" tires and an indicated 75 mph I'm at a real 65 mph and my rpm's are about 2700 rpm. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's fine with me since I didn't buy my truck to go zipping around very much faster than that. If you want to know how 4.88's would sorta feel on the highway imagine driving around without a sixth gear. Back down in the lower gears, first feels really low as you can imagine but second is still a little high to start off in all the time. It could probably be done but it feels easier on the drive train to just keep using first. I might feel differently after a while but for now I'll keep using first to get moving from a stand still. Anyway, if you're an '05 owner that wheels (or tows) a lot and you are thinking about regearing for your 33"+ tires and you're worried (like I was) that 4.88's would be to low, my vote is to go for it. It's still a lot of money for our year models so if anyone wants to check out how your truck would feel with 4.88's I'd be glad to let you take mine for a spin, with me in it of course. ;)
wait till you get on the trail and in lo range ;) that's where you'll really notice a huge difference. your low range, 1st gear crawl ratio just went from 39.97 to 52.3 :D

keep track of your mileage for a few tanks and let us know how things go.
you'll need factor a 13.3% error to figure out your actual mileage.
It will be interesting to see if you still like them after driving for a while.

has anyone checked to see if there are different speedo drive gears for the new Tacos?
rpms would be a little less with the 5sp manual and a lot less with the AT.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hytenor said:
wait till you get on the trail and in lo range ;) that's where you'll really notice a huge difference. your low range, 1st gear crawl ratio just went from 39.97 to 52.3 :D
Cool! :D

hytenor said:
keep track of your mileage for a few tanks and let us know how things go.
you'll need factor a 13.3% error to figure out your actual mileage.
It will be interesting to see if you still like them after driving for a while.
I can already tell ya' that I wouldn't recommend a 4.88 ratio for most 6sp Tacoma owners that are running 33's. I have a specific purpose (towing) for running that low of a gear. The real test as to how much I like the ratio will come when I get a chance to head up into the Sierra's with the trailer. I can live with the little freeway driving that I do without the trailer. Like you've said before a 4.10 would be a better ratio for the daily driver. I would recommend a 4.56 but then my opinion is bias toward having a lower ratio than stock anyway. ;)

hytenor said:
has anyone checked to see if there are different speedo drive gears for the new Tacos?
rpms would be a little less with the 5sp manual and a lot less with the AT.
I've heard the speedo's in the new trucks need a little computer gadget to calibrate them. No more gears in them. :(

The auto might be an o.k. daily driver with 4.88's. Some brave soul will have to try it. Like I said, for my purpose I'm liking the ratio and I'll report back on the corrected MPG after the next tank full.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rogersja63 said:
Cool! :D

I've heard the speedo's in the new trucks need a little computer gadget to calibrate them. No more gears in them. :(
really? that would be pretty strange. I would think there would still have to be a gear in the tranny (2wd) or tcase as in earlier trucks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
hytenor said:
really? that would be pretty strange. I would think there would still have to be a gear in the tranny (2wd) or tcase as in earlier trucks.
There may just be an abs style tone ring & magnetic pickup to sense how fast the t-case output or transmission output it turning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hytenor said:
As far as I could see it is now an electronic sensor in the tranny that feeds the computer for the speedo. Everything is going electronic, even the throttle on the V6.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Different year... But I'm with you on the 4.88's and 33's... (I also have less motor then you..assuming you have the 4.0)... But then I don't commute with it either... Mostly just local/around town driving... But offroading and going up steep grades makes me smile... Worth the extra fuel spent... (seems about the same in town... but haven't had the chance to check the numbers)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
CajunTaco said:
If the sensor is in the transmission, the speedo will be way off in 4-low. Just an fyi
it's in the tranny on 2wd trucks, tcase on 4wd

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
bulldog said:
As far as I could see it is now an electronic sensor in the tranny that feeds the computer for the speedo. Everything is going electronic, even the throttle on the V6.
interesting.
so, the only way to recalibrate the '05s will be with a Dakota or other 'box'...as soon as someone comes out with one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
CajunTaco said:
If the sensor is in the transmission, the speedo will be way off in 4-low. Just an fyi
I didn't see any speed sensors in the transfer, only the tranny :confused: . The computer will pickup that the transfer is in 4Lo anyway. Besides who checks their speedo in 4Lo :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
hytenor said:
interesting.
so, the only way to recalibrate the '05s will be with a Dakota or other 'box'...as soon as someone comes out with one :rolleyes:
Check Sleeoffroad and other suppliers, who already have speedo calibration units. These have been on the market for some time.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
bulldog said:
Check Sleeoffroad and other suppliers, who already have speedo calibration units. These have been on the market for some time.

I just called Dakota and the SGI-5 unit works with the '05+ Tacos ;)

if, in fact, the new trucks don't have speedo drive gears this will be the only way to recalibrate the speedo/odo.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hytenor said:
I just called Dakota and the SGI-5 unit works with the '05+ Tacos ;)

if, in fact, the new trucks don't have speedo drive gears this will be the only way to recalibrate the speedo/odo.
This works too, but it's a little over twice the price of the Dakota-

TruSpeed Speedometer Recalibrator

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hytenor said:
they have it for the '05+ yet?
but, yea, twice the price of the Dakota...and it does the same thing :rolleyes:
yep, it works with the newer models. There's a write-up over at TS from someone that got it to work pretty well. I'll probably use his write-up to install the Dakota. :D Thanks for the lead on the Dakota. I checked my speedo against my GPS tonight on my way home, at 80 mph on the speedo I'm only doing 65mph. A little to much difference for my taste, I'll have a Dakota in the mail tomorrow. ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rogersja63 said:
yep, it works with the newer models. There's a write-up over at TS from someone that got it to work pretty well. I'll probably use his write-up to install the Dakota. :D Thanks for the lead on the Dakota. I checked my speedo against my GPS tonight on my way home, at 80 mph on the speedo I'm only doing 65mph. A little to much difference for my taste, I'll have a Dakota in the mail tomorrow. ;)
not to mention how screwed up your ODO is now, LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts