TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I'm going to be doing a lot more offroading in the upcoming months so it's time to get a little more serious. I've only had to air down once while offroading and I had a buddy who had C02 and I was aired back up in no time. I dont want to deal with a air compressor that will take forever (plus my cig outlet doesn't work anymore :D ). I'm new to the whole thing so I need to know

A. what all is needed. all I want to be able to do is air my 32's back up relatively quickly. I don't know if there are diffrent types/sizes of tanks etc.?....I just want it to go faster then one of those tiny air compressors

and B. ballpark....what am I looking at as far as price goes.

thanks for your help
-Spence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
CO2? Interesting. I've heard of tires being filled with nitrogen before but never CO2. Learn something new every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
well I'm going to be doing a lot more offroading in the upcoming months so it's time to get a little more serious. I've only had to air down once while offroading and I had a buddy who had C02 and I was aired back up in no time. I dont want to deal with a air compressor that will take forever (plus my cig outlet doesn't work anymore :D ). I'm new to the whole thing so I need to know

A. what all is needed. all I want to be able to do is air my 32's back up relatively quickly. I don't know if there are diffrent types/sizes of tanks etc.?....I just want it to go faster then one of those tiny air compressors

and B. ballpark....what am I looking at as far as price goes.

thanks for your help
-Spence
http://demello-offroad.com//catalog/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=57413977cc4fd2976551e3c522c2fe51

try that
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
97TacoDude said:
CO2? Interesting. I've heard of tires being filled with nitrogen before but never CO2. Learn something new every day.
It's extremely common out here. CO2 is awesome because it's in a liquid state when it's in a tank. That means you can get a huge volume of gas in a very small space. With my 15 pound tank I can air up about 30 35" tires from 10PSI to 25PSI.

Costs about $15 bucks to get it filled at a nearby fire extinguisher place.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a good package deal on toytecs site as well. didn't realize they were so expensive lol. I really don't need to air up SUPER fast when I go on trips I make sure I don't need to leave in a hurry. I wuldn't mind waiting around for 15 minutes to air my tires back up it wouldnt' bother me. I guess what I'm asking is what is the cheapest way to air back up SOMEWHAT fast.....like 15 min for four tires?......say 10-35 PSI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Ha, do NOT try this at home, but speaking of tires and gasses, a few years ago one of my friends filled up a tire with oxygen and acetlyene and shot it with a tracer round....can you say kaboom? Like I said do NOT do this...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Ha, do NOT try this at home, but speaking of tires and gasses, a few years ago one of my friends filled up a tire with oxygen and acetlyene and shot it with a tracer round....can you say kaboom? Like I said do NOT do this...
A friend of mine was nearly killed years ago while working at a tire store..A portable welding truck brought their truck in with a puncture and didn't bother to tell them he had filled it with oxygen to get it there..One swipe with the tire plugging rasp and WHAM!!! Blew it and him all to hell..So please DON'T ever do that.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
make it yourself

i have a homemade setup.
find a CO2 tank(i run a little 5lb bottle).look at welding shops,fire extinguisher places,etc.
get a co2 regulator.
buy an airline,quick connects,air chuck (welding shop)
$150-$200
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
well I'm going to be doing a lot more offroading in the upcoming months so it's time to get a little more serious. I've only had to air down once while offroading and I had a buddy who had C02 and I was aired back up in no time. I dont want to deal with a air compressor that will take forever (plus my cig outlet doesn't work anymore :D ). I'm new to the whole thing so I need to know

A. what all is needed. all I want to be able to do is air my 32's back up relatively quickly. I don't know if there are diffrent types/sizes of tanks etc.?....I just want it to go faster then one of those tiny air compressors

and B. ballpark....what am I looking at as far as price goes.

thanks for your help
-Spence
I bought a 10# tank and regulator at a garage sale for $50. got the tank filled for $11 and bought a soft flex hose for $15. I'm good for several trips including filling up friends' tires. The 10# is short enough to mount to my bed bar and not get in the way. 20# tanks are nice and last forever but are just too big. but I have one for sale :D

you can find brand new 10s for around $120, regulators for #50-100, hoses for $15 and filling the tank will run around $14. all this at your local welding/gas shop.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/CO2 tank,bracket/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
924 Posts
Another source for appropriate CO2 tanks and regulators (and fills) is a supply house for soft drinks dispensers, for bars and restaurants etc. Get hoses and quick-connects etc at a hardware store. The CO2 tanks come in 5lb, 10lb and 20lb sizes (maybe 15lb too). This is the weight of CO2 they hold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Just received my 20 lb setup from Toytec today. Gotta getr filled yet.
See iffin they'll still give ya their holiday price. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
well I'm going to be doing a lot more offroading in the upcoming months so it's time to get a little more serious. I've only had to air down once while offroading and I had a buddy who had C02 and I was aired back up in no time. I dont want to deal with a air compressor that will take forever (plus my cig outlet doesn't work anymore :D ). I'm new to the whole thing so I need to know

A. what all is needed. all I want to be able to do is air my 32's back up relatively quickly. I don't know if there are diffrent types/sizes of tanks etc.?....I just want it to go faster then one of those tiny air compressors

and B. ballpark....what am I looking at as far as price goes.

thanks for your help
-Spence
If you're not in a huge hurry to fill your tires then just pick up a Viair 450C off Ebay. There are tons of them on there for under $200 and they work great. I have a CO2 tank and it's too much hassle (for me) to put it in and take it out everytime I go wheeling, plus the one time you come out to your truck and need to fill a tire your CO2 bottle will be at home. With a compressor under the hood you'll never be without it. It's handy for filling up rafts in the summer, airing up tires and if you run a tank you can use air tools as well. I love my Viair and am in the process of adding a couple air tanks to speed it up even more. Here's the guy on Ebay I bought mine from, awesome guy to deal with and a great price. Viair450C Make sure you get a pressure switch as well though. .....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well if I got one of those ones to put under my hood how fast am I looking at to fill up? and where under the hood does it go?

I saw this combo on toytec's website it's only 189 + shipping why is it cheaper then the others. would I be ok to get it?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/SpacersOffRoad.htm

it's listed near the bottom....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
well if I got one of those ones to put under my hood how fast am I looking at to fill up? and where under the hood does it go?

I saw this combo on toytec's website it's only 189 + shipping why is it cheaper then the others. would I be ok to get it?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/SpacersOffRoad.htm

it's listed near the bottom....
That looks like a nice set-up for a decent price. Have a look at Demello's stuff as well, he's a good guy and treats his customers right.

With a Viair it will take couple minutes but you have unlimited air with no cost to refill it when it's empty. You also don't have to worry about mounting a CO2 bottle or not haing air when you need it. Mine is mounted on the passenger wheel well under the hood with the air intake for the compressor run into the resonator so the supply is always clean and dry. I always have it when I need it and am not worried about running out on the trail. I also have two tanks that I'm mounting under the bed tomorrow and will be able to run air tools if needed or fill a tire extra quick. ....Steve
 

·
YOTAPHILIC
Joined
·
201 Posts
For whoever is wondering, www.powertank.com has the fastest flow out of all Co2 setups but you will pay for it. You can get the basic system for about $430, includes regulator, hose chuck, handle and bracket. It airs up larger tires in 20-30 seconds each. You can set beads, run tools, use to weld, and run lockers. www.4x4rockshop.com has same price and free shipping. My 2 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well if the viair is only going to take a couple minutes per tire thats not bad at all. and I like the idea of having it there all the time. but how hard is it to put it under your hood? what is the install like does it just bolt in or do you have to have ir professionally installed somehow? am I going to have to get a stronger battery or can I use the stock one I have now? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
not2XS said:
Another source for appropriate CO2 tanks and regulators (and fills) is a supply house for soft drinks dispensers, for bars and restaurants etc. Get hoses and quick-connects etc at a hardware store. The CO2 tanks come in 5lb, 10lb and 20lb sizes (maybe 15lb too). This is the weight of CO2 they hold.
thats what i use, had a friend who worked for coke so he got me the tank for free, picked up a static reg for around 45 bucks i think, the take usually last 3 or 4 trips most of it is using the impact stuff though. the tank isnt pretty but hell its certified and works :D
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top