TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to do my front brakes (@135K) and I'm having that North East Rust problem again....I think...:confused:
I should be able to get the brake Rotors off a 2002 4WD, Tacoma without having to disconnect the hub and work on a bench right?
Can someone confirm this? As per my search it seems that everyone can get the rotors off without having to dismantle the hub?
Maybe I'm not giving it enough "Leverage" for it to separate all the rust but I thought I'd just ask here and try again Saturday. If this is the case, anyone have some advice as to how I might persuade my rotors to come off?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
BFH... they will come off, just beat on em...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
One of mine wouldn't budge. Chris K (Valkyrie) got it off by giving it a good whack with a punch from the back end of it. Might want to try that to see if it works.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought but I figured I should check the FSM and it was talking about taking the whole damn thing apart for just a Rotor...SO I figure I'd post here and double check.
Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I checked the FSM states to take the hub apart, what a PIA...I think I'll try what "Equin" says and try with a punch or something to knock it loose. I mean it's just a brake rotor that isn't held on with the hub bolt, we really shouldn't have to take half the front apart just to get the damn thing off.

It's just that everything gets so damn rusty in the NE....my rear springs ended up being a full day due to rust too.....:mad:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sometimes a hammer will not work. I did mine last fall and all but one pin was totally seized and rusted in place. I had to remove the caliper and cut the pins and then drill them out and then make new pins. Those out west have it easy with rust. I would at least suggest removing the calipers and then pounding on them, then resort to some drilling and making new pins.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
just put my brembos on today, i used the ass end of a splittin mall outta the back of my truck... gotta love dorm parking lot installs :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I finished mine today and I ended up getting a 5lb mallet to get mine off. God NE Rust sucks....I loaded up the new rotors back and pins with antiseeze I hope it helps for the next time. I just hope the next time is another 135K like this was!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts