TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have seen posts on here that we have made on other boards about HB2443. Now it is in dire need of your help here in AZ. HB2443 has FAILED in the Third Read today................we have 24 hours to file a motion for a reconsideration vote. We have a Senator that will swing and run the motion.......We are asking that each and every one of you that loves to wheel in AZ help us out in getting the bill back on the calendar, here is what we need you all to do:

Everyone that is in each of these districts and votes or I suppose if you dont vote but live there too........that will help...........Identify your self as a district XX person, beg or whatever you feel ok with doing........ that this bill be giving a chance to work......................I will send a list out of the other senators that voted against too........as soon as it is up on the website................... but these are the swing votes that we need...............only Dem that was not for previously was Rios.

Here are the districts and their Senators that we have to convince:

Jorge Luis Garcia************************************************* [email protected]
District 27** Supported bill in Appropriations Committee, and voted against Gould amendment(good thing)
VOTED against bill in third read.

Charlene Pesquiera*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** [email protected]
District 26*** Supported us in voting against the Gould amendment,
VOTED against the bill in third read.

Victor Soltero*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** [email protected]ov
District 29** Supported us in voting against the Gould amendment
Voted against in third read.

Timothy Bee*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** [email protected]
District30****has not supported at all

Rebecca Rios*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** [email protected]
District23*****she says that only people she has heard from are against.....lets change that.
She voted for the Gould amendment, he is a republican........she Dem. we need her vote!

Also here is a complete list of Senators that provided NO votes on today's reading. I have also included the 3 Senators at the bottom that did not vote at all. If you live in these districts please get the word out to your senator that we need their support for this bill.

Jorge Luis Garcia - District 27 - [email protected]
Chuck Gray - District 19 - [email protected]
Rebecca Rios - District 23 - [email protected]
Thayer Verschoor - District 22 - [email protected]
Robert Blendu - District 12 - [email protected]
John Huppenthal - District 20 - [email protected]
Victor Soltero - District 29 - [email protected]
Robert Burns - District 9 - [email protected]
Ron Gould - District 3 - [email protected]
Karen Johnson - District 18 - [email protected]
Charlene Pesquiera - District 26 - [email protected]
Jay Tibshraeny - District 21 - [email protected]
Timothy S. Bee - District 30 - [email protected]

Non-Voting
Leah Landrum Taylor - District 16 - [email protected]
Richard Miranda - District 13 - [email protected]
Pamela Gorman - District 6 - [email protected]

---------------------------------------------------

Honorable Senator XXXXX
District XXXX

I live , work and play in districtXXX. The trails and places I ride are quickly being closed for lack of funds to maintain and manage. I support this bill and know that unlike the current recreation permit I must have from State Land department, FUNDS from HB 2443 will actually go to help keep trails open thru improved trail signs, access maps and funding for Law enforcement to help manage the trails systems.

We understand your support of not "adding more tax's to the public" however this bill is not a tax to the public. It is strictly FUNDING FROM THE SPECIFIC USERS.........FOR THE USERS to help us with education, maintenance and law enforcement to promote RESPONSIBLE OHV use on Arizona lands. If WE, are willing to support ourselves I sincerely request we be given a chance to make this work. OHV activity will only be increasing and...........WE NEED management, and the state budget simply cannot fund this. Why are we, as enthusiasts being penalized because we wish to help the land management agencies and law enforcement agencies build a responsible and educated group of public land users in our state?

We have worked for over 5 years to get a good bill to help manage OHV recreation in Arizona. We believe this is the bill. This bill will help protect this revenue source and help manage recreation use for future Arizona residents and visitors to enjoy for many years to come.

Again I ask you for your help.

Please give this bill a chance!

Please support HB2443.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX
District XXXXX

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Revised, edited, personalized, and sent.
The slow choking death tightens its grasp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fella's, sorry about that I thought I had a link in there to find your senators. Here you go, and to find your district there's also a link on this page that says How do I find my legislators? From there you can enter your address and find your senate district.

http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=S&SortBy=1

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Jack the way I read this it has to do with OHV not 4x4's am I missing something? Also not so sure this is a good thing - seems to me if it does pass there is no assurance of where the funds will go. Can you offer any more info?

Here is an article I pulled up

By Paul Davenport
Associated Press
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 04.26.2007
advertisementPHOENIX -- Another push to require owners of off-highway vehicles to pay for a new annual sticker has fallen short at the Legislature.
The Senate on Thursday voted 14-13 for the bill (HB2443) but 16 votes were required for passage. The house had previously passed it overwhelmingly in March.
Similar to programs in use in states such as Utah and California, Arizona's program would have provided money for development of trails and other access routes, grants for local enforcement of off-highway vehicle laws, mitigation of damage caused by OHVs and creation of maps, signs and educational material.
Opponents said the mandatory sticker amounted to a tax increase, with one saying it would apply broadly but only benefit some.
"This is an out-and-out taking. It's done in the guise of everybody paying to preserve trails," said Sen. Robert Blendu, R-Litchfield Park.
Supporters said the money is needed to provide recreational opportunities and protect the environment, including watersheds.
"The alternative is that we should adequately fund our parks and then all of us would pay for these trails but we don't adequately fund our parks so we have to put a user fee on," said Sen. Meg Burton Cahill, D-Tempe.
When the outcome of the Senate vote became apparent, one senator said the bill's failure will hurt the environment.
"They're going to tear up the desert and tear up the forest and make it tougher on our clean air, especially in Maricopa County," said Sen. Jake Flake, a Snowflake Republican who voted for the bill but said he had mixed feelings on it.
Under the bill (HB2443), a sticker would have been mandated for off-highway vehicles such as four-wheel all-terrain vehicles, sand rails and dirt bikes that use public lands or rights-of-way.
Off-road vehicles used only on private land or for agricultural, ranching, construction, mining or construction would have been exempt.
The bill drew support from the state Parks Department, members of the state Game and Fish Commission and representatives of groups advocating on behalf of cattle ranchers, vehicle dealers and some riders and sportsmen. A coalition of vehicle operators was neutral.
A similar proposal failed during the 2006 legislative session, also failing on a vote by the full Senate.
The 2006 bill was criticized by some lawmakers as an infringement on individual rights, and the Sierra Club said it didn't include adequate protections for the environment.
The 2007 bill would have allowed the Department of Transportation director, in consultation with the Game and Fish and Parks directors, to set the sticker's price, but officials have said $20 per vehicle per year was envisioned to raise a projected $4.6 million annually.
Arizona now raises $2.7 million annually for off-highway programs from a tiny share of gasoline tax revenue, with the money divvied up between the Game and Fish Department and the state parks system.
The Game and Fish Department says the current funding isn't enough to handle needs for trail development, law enforcement and other needs resulting from the dramatic increase in all-terrain vehicle use in Arizona.
The number of registered or titled all-terrain vehicles in Arizona went from 51,000 in December 1998 to more than 230,000 in July 2006, according to the Game and Fish Department.

Thanks Jack,

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
found some more info -

HB 2443 establishes a user fee for off-road vehicles and a program for using those fees. It requires anyone with an off-highway vehicle that is less than 1800 pounds and that is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain and who is driving on an off-highway trail or in an off-highway use area to have an indicia issued by the Arizona Department of Transportation. The amount of the fee would be determined by the Department in consultation with Game and Fish and State Parks. The indicia are valid for one year. The Director of ADOT will also prescribe the design and placement of the indicia.

Seventy percent of the dollars generated by the fee go to the off-road vehicle recreation fund and thirty percent go to the highway user revenue fund (commonly referred to as the HURF and used to build roads and freeways).

Of the seventy percent of the dollars that go to the off-highway vehicle recreation fund, HB2443 authorizes the Arizona Game and Fish Department to spend up to 35 percent on information and education programs for off-highway vehicle recreation and on law enforcement activities relating to off-highway vehicles.

sounds great but my real concern with this is how is the committe picked.
If a bunch of OHV people are on the comittee then it's a great thing - if a bunch of greenies get on the committee is a bad thing. I'm pretty sure this is why the greenies are neutral on it.

Here's what the greenies say -

Our main concern about the legislation continues to be the allocation of the 60 percent of the dollars that will go to grants administered by Arizona State Parks. These grants can be used for various activities including to fund enforcement of off-highway vehicle (OHV) laws; to establish off-highway vehicle information and environmental education programs; to mitigate damage to the land; to designate, construct, maintain, manage and acquire land for OHV recreation facilities, OHV use areas, and OHV trails; and for necessary environmental historical and cultural clearance or compliance activities for proposed OHV recreation facilities, OHV use areas, and OHV trails. Because the committee that makes recommendations to the Arizona Parks Board and that determines the direction of the dollars is stacked with off-road vehicle users, we are very concerned that these grant dollars will be used primarily to build trails and other facilities – a stated purpose of several of the proponents of the legislation – and will open up even more areas for off-road vehicle use, which will mean more loss of wildlife habitat and more destruction of vegetation, soil erosion, and negative impacts to water quality.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
how do i know what district I live in?
I sent it to all of them. This bill is primarily for the bikes, quads, golf carts and smaller desert use type of vehicles that are swarming our recreation areas. Due to the sheer volume of the vehicles I don't know why they wouldn't be blinded by the $$$$'s this bill would generate and get it passed with out a single no vote.

The biggest downfall of such a bill is when they mismanage the funding and close everything down due to "A lack of funds".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TBob and Heatstroke you are both right. This really will not affect the fullsize 4x4 world in regards to needing the sticker. I believe the finally tally is that no one over 2500 lbs. would need the sticker. That will affect some of our buggies and such, but not too many. However all of the money that comes from this plan and the existing OHV piece from the Gas Tax will got to benefit all OHV. We will benefit by making G&F accountable for the funds they "Say" they spend on OHV. It will allow us to hire more law enforcement to actually be on the ground in the major wheelin areas. It will put money on the ground for projects related to trails and signage. There will also be a considerable portion of these dollars spent on education.

So in short it won't affect you all, but we need to support it because it benefits all of us.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Thanks Jack - I don't feel it's as clear cut as that.
See my post above...sounds great until the greenies get control of the board which I'm sure will be there #1 target if it does pass. They write shit like I posted above because they don't want you to think they are for it- cause if they where they know we would vote against it. Tricky bastards...gotta watch em. This may not be the case here but again if it does pass they will know go straight for those board seats then all that fundage will go to shutting down the trails.
1800lbs is the cutoff

TBob and Heatstroke you are both right. This really will not affect the fullsize 4x4 world in regards to needing the sticker. I believe the finally tally is that no one over 2500 lbs. would need the sticker. That will affect some of our buggies and such, but not too many. However all of the money that comes from this plan and the existing OHV piece from the Gas Tax will got to benefit all OHV. We will benefit by making G&F accountable for the funds they "Say" they spend on OHV. It will allow us to hire more law enforcement to actually be on the ground in the major wheelin areas. It will put money on the ground for projects related to trails and signage. There will also be a considerable portion of these dollars spent on education.

So in short it won't affect you all, but we need to support it because it benefits all of us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the latest on HB 2443 OHV indicia plate. This bill really is the best piece of OHV legislation that has come down the pipe in the last several years. It will support OHV in the state and will be ran by OHV. There is no chance that anyone can get themselves on the committee's to oversee the funds and begin to use them against us. The funds distribution is written into the bill itself.

After much wrangling , a motion to wave the 24 hour rule was passed 14 to 13, for HB 2443. This means the bill could go back to the Senate Floor and a motion to reconsider could be presented????this motion squeaked pass15 for 11 against. This means that the HB 2443 will go back to the Senate Floor to be heard again in third read.

Here is what we need from you.

1) Call the following Senators. Tell them exactly what is in the below message, please no adlibbing on this ????we need the same message from everyone on this ??..give your name and district , what you ride , how many in your family????..MOST of all , you support this bill! It does not matter if you call after hours??leave a message , if you talk to a person at the office , be polite and state the facts ????don't get mad or elaborate???keep it simple. If more than one rides in your family??send separate phone messages ??..give an age for kids too.

This message is for SenatorXXX,
My Family or I appreciates the Senate giving HB 2443 a second chance to be heard. We / I belong to XXX Club. We respectfully ask you to support this very important Bill that will help manage OHV use in Arizona. This Bill will address the major problems in managing OHV use including Law Enforcement, signage and maps and additional laws to address environmental concerns and property rights.
HB 2443 will actually reduce the fees I or WE currently pay and insures that the funds collected under HB 2443 go back to OHV programs for responsible and available OHV recreation.
IF ASKED?..your club is a member of AZOHVC or heard about this from AZOHVC emails.
Please give this Bill a chance.
Please Vote Yes on HB 2443

Who to Call: If you are in this district , make sure to mention it!

Senator Paula Aboud Dist. 28 Dem. Phone # 602-926-5262
Ask she continues her support.

Senator Timothy Bee Dist. 30 Rep. Phone # 602 926-5683
Thank you for the help getting bill reconsidered.

Senator Robert Burns Dist. 9 Rep. Phone # 602-926-5993
Thank him for running the reconsideration motion thru.

Senator Albert Hale Dist. 2 Navajo Co. Phone # 602-926-4323
If you live or vote or ride in Navajo County , let him know !

Senator Richard Miranda Dist.13 Phone #602-926-5911
Ask for his support.

Rebecca Rios Dist. 23 Dem. Phone # 602-926-5685
If you are in her district let her know how displeased you are with her being against Bill.

Senator Victor Soltero Dist. 29 Dem Phone # 602-926-5342
Thinks his dist. Is against bill.

Senator Tibshraeny Dist.21 Rep Phone # 602-926-4481

--------------------------

2) Send an email to all the Senators in the attached list (not strike thrus please). Again follow the outline , keep it simple, be appreciative of the Senators time????.thank them for there consideration but let them know , as above, that you support this Bill. Club you are with would help to ???..get anyone that you know to write too???..even if they don't ride they can support this. If more than one rides in your family??send separate emails ??..give an age for kids and let them write too.

Honorable Senator XXX
My Family or I greatly appreciates the Senate giving HB 2443 a second chance to be heard. We ride ??.ATV or MC or 4wd and We / I belong to XXX Club. We respectfully ask you to support this very important Bill that will help manage OHV use in Arizona. This Bill will address the major problems in managing OHV use including Law Enforcement, signage and maps, and additional laws to address environmental concerns and property rights.
HB 2443 will actually reduce the fees I or WE currently pay and insures that the funds collected under HB 2443 go back to OHV programs for responsible and available OHV recreation.

This recreation generates 4 Billion Dollar a year in revenue and 36,000 jobs.
HB 2443 will help keep this very popular pass time alive and well managed for future generations. OR my kids.

Please give this Bill a chance.

Please vote yes HB2443

Sincerely XXXX
List Address Also

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

----------------------

Additional information to consider:

Barry M. Aarons, Author of the "Taxpayer Protection Pledge", does not consider voting for this HB 2443 to be a violation of the Pledge. Mr Aarons will take any call from Senators or be happy to email you his response on this issue. Many of the Senators have signed this Pledge and are worried about violating it. They are voting no because of this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts