TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has bolted down a bench seat or something in their truck bed to add seats? I know it's a pain in my regular cab sometimes when more then 2 people need to get anywhere. Also, would you just bolt the bench seat to the frame through the bed, and would this be legal (I know laws vary, but in general)?

·
Registered
292 Posts
We Mounted a single Racing seat in the bed, complete with 5 point harness. No problems on it here, but in Oregon you can just ride in the bed with nothing if you are over 16 and all the seatbelts in the cab are occupied.

The rear mounts went through into an extra crossmember we added, but the front mounts were just through the bed with 6" round washers sandwhiching the sheet metal, belt was a wraparound to the seat, but it was rear-facing anyway

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, here in Georgia if you're over the age of 16 you can ride in the back of a truck as well, so I suppose it's legal, haha, didn't think about that. Any pictures?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Persons 18 and older; persons 17 and younger in pickup trucks with covered cargo areas; any pickup truck off the interstate"

I wonder if my Can-Back is considered a "covered cargo area"?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
EnolaGaia said:
An overview chart of state laws on riding in a pickup bed can be found at:

http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/cargo_laws.html
That is great information! I am surprised Texas was so strict... especially #2... :confused:

Persons 18 and older
Vehicles that are the only vehicles owned by members of the household
Vehicles in parades, hayrides, or on beaches, or being used in an emergency Vehicles in farm operations used to transport persons from field to field or on farm to market roads or on county roads outside municipalities

·
Registered
95 Posts
exacto said:
in california, the answer for everything is NO... really gay

riding in the back is fun though.

actually, it can be legal in California. You have to have a rollbar that meets certain structural requirments, and the seat and seat belts have to mounted to certain requirments. i Have seen it done, but you will get harrased by the cops, usually they will see that there is nothing they can do though if its done correctly.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We had good luck mounting part of a bowling alley bench in the back of an '82 Pickup...by mounting I mean setting back in the box. No problem with the five-0 as it was in the U.P. Obvously you're going to want the rear passengers to hop out and spot at difficult obstacles thus reducing the chances for death to only "likely"...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
ljschnel
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing