TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching, and nothing came up on the topic.

I'm looking at replacing my factory head unit with something that has more sizzle. I'd like to have GPS, DVD playback, external camera, iPod interface, Bluetooth etc.

My question here is specific to GPS features, though. Do the in-dash units have breadcrumb/plotter functions? I.e., is it possible to save places you've been (off-road) and access them later? Also, is it possible to save a point of interest?

If anybody knows of any unit that does this, please post up. I've asked dealers, installers, searched the web, and haven't really found a concrete answer. If it's not possible, I may forego getting a unit that's navigation capable and get a portable unit that offers the features I want.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ever considered integrating an in-car computer? Would be more complex than buying something retail, but would do everything you want.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx that has waypoints you can use to do what you describe, i'm not sure if any of the automobile units have that feature though. You can add waypoints as well on the Garmin units.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
daveyiv said:
Ever considered integrating an in-car computer? Would be more complex than buying something retail, but would do everything you want.
I've personally been down that road and they are just too tempermental. All the PC based GPS software on the market is not 'small screen' or 'touch screen friendly'. There is some software out there that Car PC owners have created but there are too many bugs that haven't been worked out of it yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I had thought of doing this, but have to agree with Interex, it's just too tempermental. Also, the software out there doesn't seem to be ready for the small world yet. Believe me, I would love to have a touch screen with GPS and Google Earth for my maps.

I could build the system relatively easily, and have actually had one on the planning sheet for several years going back to my Ranger days. I just keep adding and tweaking features, but haven't built one yet. Maybe down the line...ha.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm seriously thinking of just going with a nice handheld that allows me to update maps, save plotted routes (off-road) and mark places of interest. Then for in-dash I may go with a straight dvd/screen setup.

Don't let this stop anyone else from posting, I'm still interested in what may be out there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an update:

I couldn't find a head unit to do what I wanted, so I'm going to go the separate Navi/DVD way. I'm going to have a Pioneer P6800DVD installed this weekend. Then I will find a portable GPS that does what I want in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts