TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago my Cobra 25 crapped out on me. About a year or so ago I had picked up a Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio brand new still in the box for $40 bucks that I had planned to use as a spare. Well, since my old radio gave it up, I decided today to swap it out. I didn't realize how much wider the 29 was than the 25! Here is a pic of it finally installed. It took some major cutting to get it to fit and it is a tight fit at that!

I believe that this is the widest radio that you will be able to fit in your dash. You can't really tell from the pic, but the CB sticks out about a 1/4" further than the CD player does...just couldn't get it to push back any more since the CB is so deep. If you plan to do this be prepared to spend some time with the dremel! :)

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
I believe that this is the widest radio that you will be able to fit in your dash. You can't really tell from the pic, but the CB sticks out about a 1/4" further than the CD player does...just couldn't get it to push back any more since the CB is so deep. If you plan to do this be prepared to spend some time with the dremel! :)

Looks good. do you or can you get me the dimensions?? I'm waiting on my new uniden 78Elite and it's also a full size radio. I wanted to put my uniden 66a in the dash but when I put single DIN radio and measured depth it seemed to shallow. did you have to cut anything behind radio ( inside dash)??
have a happy and safe new yr

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grumpy said:
Looks good. do you or can you get me the dimensions?? I'm waiting on my new uniden 78Elite and it's also a full size radio. I wanted to put my uniden 66a in the dash but when I put single DIN radio and measured depth it seemed to shallow. did you have to cut anything behind radio ( inside dash)??
have a happy and safe new yr
The Cobra 29 measures 7" Wide x 2.2" Heigh x 8.5" Deep. I had to cut the AC duct behind it as it would not go in far enough. Basically, I did some carefull measuring and cut a 7" x 2.2" hole in the duct so the back of the CB actually fits inside the duct. I was worried that it would block off air flow to my center and driver side vents but they work fine.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
The Cobra 29 measures 7" Wide x 2.2" Heigh x 8.5" Deep. I had to cut the AC duct behind it as it would not go in far enough. Basically, I did some carefull measuring and cut a 7" x 2.2" hole in the duct so the back of the CB actually fits inside the duct. I was worried that it would block off air flow to my center and driver side vents but they work fine.
yea, I thought it would require cutting the duct. Last weekend I fabbed up a bracket to mount behind mirror/center lights that uses the screw for the trim to the mirror/lights. think I'll keep that for awhile. Dont feel like cutting the duct yet. but its good t oknow that it doesn't efect air flow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
TACOZILLA said:

i was about to get jealous that you are using your a/c this time of year ;)

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beat taco said:
i was about to get jealous that you are using your a/c this time of year ;)
Actually, it's in the 70's here today...so I guess the AC could be used. The weather here in Texas changes so quickly. It was really cold and snowed on Christmas Eve but you could wear shorts today on New Years Eve.

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool Night Pic!

·
Registered
14 Posts
that looks awesome, i know what you mean about the tight fit, i just finished mounting my cobra 29 NWLTD Classic into my taco, but i have the factory head unit so i ended up taking the dash piece out that has the two, 12 volt outlets and mounting the bracket to the shifter console and angling the cb up against the dash, theres a 1/2" clearance between the shift lever and cb when i put it in park, and your right, these cb's are huge

·
Registered
139 Posts
redtaco, do you have any pictures of your CB installed? I have considered putting mine in the same place, but would like to see the finished product first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts