TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fabbing up some removable steps for my sliders so my short ass girlfriend can get in my truck. Where I'm wanting input is how to fasten them to the sliders. I'm debating on just using clamps over the 1 3/4 120 wall DOM.

Like These:
http://www.trail-gear.com/rod-ends-and-link-material

OR

http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=830

They cost from $30-$35 each and I'm going to make steps for both sides to keep things symmetrical. That's really more than I want to spend for this little project. So if anyone knows of a cheaper clamp I can weld too that will hold the steps out at an angle without pivoting under my fat ass then let me know.

Also these would be the slowest option to remove since I'd have to remove 4 to 6 machined head bolts per clamp (2 clamps per step).

My other idea is to welt the step to a halved section of tube that will fit snug against the slider and bolt through that to the slider and look something like this:

This would be the fastest to remove sine I'd only have to use 2 bolts per step.

If I'm going to go this rout I don't know if I should:
1) just drill and tap the 120 wall tube slider to bolt the step too
2) drill a larger hole and weld in a nut flush with the surface to bolt the step too
3) drill a larger hole and weld in a fancy threaded bung to bolt the step too.

Also what size tub or pipe would fit flush over the surface of the 1 3/4 tube?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Or you could weld two small tabs to the sliders and run chain from tab to tab with a quick release carabiner at each end. That's the quickest to remove and cheap too.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or you could weld two small tabs to the sliders and run chain from tab to tab with a quick release carabiner at each end. That's the quickest to remove and cheap too.
Ya I've thought about a "sling" type step but I'd rather have something soldid mounted and ridged. I'd hate to see my girl in heals and a skirt trying to step up on a piece of chain. She wouldn't be happy :wife::wife:

Plus it wouldn't look that great I wouldn't think.

Good idea tho. Thanks for the comment. :xbeer1:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
those clamps are a pita to take on/off so skip that idea.

I went with a removable step type...one 9/16" nut/side.
but...I have square tube sliders :p

try to avoid drilling holes through the tubes that will then be open to water getting in...will rust the sliders from the inside out.
don't bother trying to tap .120 wall tube...won't hold.

I think the steps you show could be modified to work well. However, I would make them to bolt into the back side of the slider tube rather than the front. Weld in a couple 3/8" bolts that will then need a nyloc nut to secure from the back side. You could drill a through hole and weld a bolt with the head cut off (so it can be ground flush on the front side).

Use 2"x .120 wall tube to go over 1.75 x.120 tube

http://www.ttora.com/~ccorley/mods/sliderstep/

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hytenor, thanks for the input as well. Now I thought about water but as long as I replace the bolts when I remove the steps do you think water will be an issue? Possibly use some button head bolts with a nylon washer or small rubber gasket? I have all of these in the shop already. Would that keep the water out?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thought (im sure y'all can tell I'm at work...)

What If I got some of those tube clamps and instead of using bolts on both sides could I weld on a hinge on one side and only have to use the bolts on one side? would that still clamp over the tube the same? This would obviously be an even more expensive rout....

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
id go the thru bolt idea and just sleave it so water cant get into the slider. for that matter you could weld pins into the step and just put them through the sleave and use hitch pins on the backside to keep them inplace. id say half inch pins would be plenty to support a person without worry. no tools required and about 5 seconds a step. ud be suprised how tiring it is to have to unbolt something all the time

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Hytenor, thanks for the input as well. Now I thought about water but as long as I replace the bolts when I remove the steps do you think water will be an issue? Possibly use some button head bolts with a nylon washer or small rubber gasket? I have all of these in the shop already. Would that keep the water out?
unless you permanently seal the holes water will get in.
Sas's idea is great, sleeves and pins :D

now, why didn't I think of that? :p

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Really? All this cause she bitches about heels? That's just something else you gotta crawl under with tools to take off before you go wheeling. And if you forget it'll just get ripped off.

Run chain with quick release or tell the girl to deal with it if she wants to wear heels. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I ran chain slings for many years on another taller rig and they worked great. I ran the chain through a length of hose and punched a hole at the center/bottom so water would drain. The hose made them semi-ridgid and they looked fine. I never took mine off either. They just pushed out of the way when need be.

Just as an aside, there is no future in high maintenance women :). Trust me on that ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
so my short ass girlfriend can get in my truck.
haha that's awesome!

I'm sure you could come up with something real simple, kinda like hytenor's idea, but that just slips over the slider (and maybe an arm slides under a support leg?) so that it doesn't require tools every time she gets in and out...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just as an aside, there is no future in high maintenance women :). Trust me on that ;)
HAHA! Well thanks for that advise but thanks GOD she is NOT high maintenance. Been there, dumped that... She's actually really laid back and easy going. She likes camping and wheeling and most everything I do except hunting. Which is fine. That's a guy thing anyway. The only reason I'm doing this is because she slipped the other day and nearly fell out of the truck :lmao:

As far as Beefed's steps. I'm not a fan of how they mount and I'd rather make it myself. Plus I've spend too much $ on tools to buy other peoples fab work.

And again, I don't like the chain idea...

sasaholic, I like your idea with the pins but wouldn't they rattle? I guess I could have a set screw with a wing nut welded on.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NorcalPR, I've actually got some of those here in the shop but I doub they'd fit the threads of one of those clamps. But I could do a custom clamp like Beefed did with a hing on one side and that handle bold thing on the other side.

I've also got a bunch of clamps for concrete hose and pipe lying around. I might have one that'll fit the sliders... that'd be simple too if I can weld to them. And they are free...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
They just have to be tight enough on the slider or they will spin.

Another thing you could do is weld a pin on the inside of the slider rail. When the step goes onto the pin, it will take all the weight off the clamp, and the clamp will be there just to hold them on the pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They just have to be tight enough on the slider or they will spin.

Another thing you could do is weld a pin on the inside of the slider rail. When the step goes onto the pin, it will take all the weight off the clamp, and the clamp will be there just to hold them on the pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I know the concrete clamps will hold and not spin since they are designed to contain 1100 PSI of concrete but they'd look ugly I think and they truly are a pain in the ass to open and close without a cheater bar. I guess that kills that idea...

I like where your going with a pin on the back to hold the step in place against the leverage. Then all I need is a simple fastener that can tighten it just enough to keep it from bouncing or moving.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts