TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... So it turns out I got the last one available from Inch Worm as they have been discontinued. Plus, I got the last adapter plate. These words were spoken to me over the phone. Whether they are true, one can only wonder. Marlin Crawler for that matter also has discontinued them.

When I finally received the parts, the adapter plate was bent & the adapter sleeve was damaged. Both I was able to repair.

Since Tuesday, my truck has been in the shop to re-build the A340F trans and to install the aforementioned items.

Today, I get a call from the transmission shop telling me the coupler is incorrect in that it has 21 splines at one end and 23 at the other, WTF! Add to that, the seal they sent is apparently for a 21 spline coupler, too small to fit the coupler. I am so pissed right now. I must also mention that the case was at one point either cracked or broken as it has been welded together where the cross member mount attaches.

Once I receive the correct coupler, I hate to say I will not use them for further up-grades. I never received returned calls nor answers to the e-mails I sent.

Heading to SEMA on Monday and now need to rent a friggin' car, that blows. Doing so is costing me another $300.00 due to their shipping errors.

IMO, stick with Marlin Crawler, very responsive group and cool to work with.

OK, I am done venting.

Later.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I got very good customer service when i built mine, josh is the man! You do have to call them as they arent that great responding to emails. Marlins customer service has always been sub par for me, they flat out didnt ship me parts when i paid for next day air they did give me free shipping and a tshirt.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ All started well enough. I did my research and heard nothing but good about them. Add to that, from what I have read and heard, their stuff is bullet proof. I will say they have made an effort to correct the issues after a long period of time. Josh did apologize for the error, but man, after spending a large sum of cash, I never saw this coming.

Through them, I ordered the Lefty, adapter plate, 'J' shifter, VSS adapter, shift boot & Inch Worm shift knob. I did call and mention the damaged adapter plate. They told me to send it back as it was insured, but that does me no good as it was the last one they had. I had no choice but to fix it to make everything work. What good is the Lefty without the adapter?

I received the shifter from Trail Gear, VSS & boot from Marlin which I thought was weird. I could have saved some cash ordering from them myself, including some shipping savings.

I won't make SEMA with my truck this year, perhaps next.

Later.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^, I have heard that too.
I will say, other than the repaired case which should be fine, all parts look killer.

I have been waiting for this mod to happen for more than 6 months. As anyone that has modified their trucks may say, once you get a project going, anything holding up progress sucks.

Bummer is all of my plans were shot down by this one piece of the equation, not just for the build, but for people I have received monies towards my trip to the convention which I will need return.

Things happen, I get that, but the wasted amount of time waiting for parts killed it.

The Lefty sure is Purdy though. Can't wait to get it on the trails.

Later.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thats evrey project, my lefty and crawl box rebuild that was supposed to take a week ended up taking me a month.
How much dinero did that cost you?

In the end, I am out close to 2K for their shipping error. I hope they include a return shipment slip for me sending back the item that will not work and not charge me for the correct part.

I have heard their stuff rocks, no problem there and not concerned about. Some communication advances need attention, keeping the consumer involved in all transactions, regardless of product availability.

I did however; receive the goods, just 2 incorrect items which postponed the build. I did mention upon ordering I was headed to SEMA with my truck which will not happen. I will have a good time nevertheless.

Regardless, I will still have an Inch Worm Gear sticker under the hood with the rest of the vendors I have dealt with and will proceed with wheelin' like I stole it.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little over 3k doing the work myself. I should have just swapped in a 4spd atlas.
I am at about the same as you for the case, shifter and all. The trans re-build including external cooler & labor will be close to 3k as well.

How does your truck perform on the trail?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
No complaints, i am at the limit of what an open front IFS tacoma can handle. I wheel with a bunch of guys on 37+ solid axle trail trucks and i can "follow" them pretty well, with the truck being so long it likes to get beached. I am going to move the gas tank above the rear driveshaft using a ford f-150 tank, so that should help some of that. I am doing research on a solid axle swap because i want to lock the front end and dont want to be replaceing cvs all day. I want to keep it low which is the challenge, i dont want to lose the stability that the IFS gives me. I am also kicking around the idea of just slapping some 35s on the truck and hacking the fender wells out and calling it done until i can move west then worry about SAS'ing the truck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice...
I too am researching options for the SAC. I have decided on a 3 link & ARB w/ 5.29's.

I should have other options decided upon by the end of the week. Lotsa vendors to talk with.

Later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts