TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inchworm recently modified (and greatly improved) the gearing on my MT FJC. A crawler box with a 1:1 and 2.28:1 option was added after the 6sp transmission, and the stock transfer case was replaced with a "lefty" transfer case. The lefty has a 1:1 and 5.7:1 gearing choice. This swap also converted my FJC from fulltime 4wd (stock tcase) to a part time 2wd/4wd (lefty).

Placing the gearing boxes in serial, the system now allows for four gearing ratio options: 1:1, 2.28:1, 5.7:1, and 13:1. The maximum crawl ratio in low, low, 1st gear is 247:1.

I used the truck pretty hard over the weekend, and found it just spectacular to have essentially 24 forward gears, with such a very low option. There were situations where I used gears in each of the four boxes, including the big daddy in low, low, 1st. Rock crawling in that gearing ratio is particularly fun and it makes the whole endeavour SO much easier.

Here's some fun video demonstrating low, low, 1st with foot completely off the gas

The crawler box and lefty are controlled by a triple stick setup - I've changed out two of the three knobs to engraved rubber pieces that remind me what they do :) (yeah, I know it says "4.70" rather than "5.7", but it was the closest I could find...)

The crawler and lefty extend the length to the rear drive shaft exit, but only a slight bending of the fuel tank was needed to accommodate it. I even got the stock plastic cover back on over the fuel tank.

The installation, function, etc. is all nearly identical to that described by Sol.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
how do some people get so...so damn rich?

thats a sweetass rig man

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the FJC crawler club Mark.
Thanks. Quite literally couldn't have done it without you :)

Just in case everyone is thinking "slow moving mall cruiser" and "need that crawler to squeeze into those tight LA parking spaces" etc. etc. ;) Here are some light "action" photos:

yeah, I know I keep going to the same freekin' place to wheel all the time... :D I have it memorized so I don't break anything (too much) by getting surprized...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks. Quite literally couldn't have done it without you :)

Just in case everyone is thinking "slow moving mall cruiser" and "need that crawler to squeeze into those tight LA parking spaces" etc. etc. ;) Here are some light "action" photos:

yeah, I know I keep going to the same freekin' place to wheel all the time... :D I have it memorized so I don't break anything (too much) by getting surprized...
Nice! I was checking out your FJ when I dropped my Tacoma off with Jim. Had the same setup installed in my '05.

Matter of fact I think I have 1/2 your rubber shifter boot over my doubler shifter right now. I ordered the rubber and pleather boots out of the Cruiser from the dealer as it looks like with a little mod it'll fit perfect over my set-up, now that I have another shifter up there with the tranny shifter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! I was checking out your FJ when I dropped my Tacoma off with Jim. Had the same setup installed in my '05.

Matter of fact I think I have 1/2 your rubber shifter boot over my doubler shifter right now. I ordered the rubber and pleather boots out of the Cruiser from the dealer as it looks like with a little mod it'll fit perfect over my set-up, now that I have another shifter up there with the tranny shifter.
By symmtery, I think yours must have been the rig up on the jack when I picked my truck up. You guys have so much more room on the underside to fit all this stuff - the beauty of more real estate :)

So you have two sticks coming out of the stock gear stick location now?

·
Registered
803 Posts
By symmtery, I think yours must have been the rig up on the jack when I picked my truck up. You guys have so much more room on the underside to fit all this stuff - the beauty of more real estate :)

So you have two sticks coming out of the stock gear stick location now?
I think it was too, my truck that is.

Yep, just picked up new rubber and pleather boots for the manual FJ from the dealer today. The stock FJ rubber boot fits mine perfect now that I have another stick coming up though that area. The pleather boot will work out nice in my plastic surround to, with a little trim work to hold it in there. I used my original 6sp shifter boot for the other stick that now comes up through the cup holders.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts