TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

i bought a used 2004 double cab auto with what looks to be an inchworm taco box with a 4.7 kit and inchworm adapters connected to a stock push button transfercase. i drained the first case and it looked like looked like a half a quart of redline gear oil. the rear case had two quarts of 80-90w so they cant share fluid. inchworm is out of buisness so low range offroad is no help

can anyone help me identify the tranfercase?
please help me with what fluid would go in it and how much?
does anyone have this setttup?
is there a better place to ask?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the inchworm unit? I'd suspect that you'll want to put back exactly what came out!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i jst got off the phone with trailgear and also called a local shop "yodaman" and they both said 1 quart in the crawl box and 2 quarts in the stock tcase both 80-90w so thats what I will do!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how are you guys filling your tcases ? from the breather tube? even with the rear of my truck jacked up a foot I can only get 1 quart in the stock case. filling from the shifters sounds great but theyre siliconed so does that mean i have to re silicon them everytime i fill the cases? i thought i was done siliconing when i ditched the jeep....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet thanks for that! both cases filled!

is there a special tool that helps reseat that snap ring shifter thing? it was a bitch to get back in

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
This got me thinking..
I need to pull my dual cases to re-seal them. It is easier to fill them from the top but my twin stick unit on the rear case has to be pulled and re-sealed with silicone. Maybe I can drill and tap a plug into it so I can fill it without pulling it off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so now that i have everything full of fluid Im on to the next issues..... the tranny and tcase breathers are jst open ready to accept this winters water and mud. so in making my breather tube parts list i noticed in stock form the transmission connects via breather to the transfercase and the transmission has its own seperate breather to extend. my question is why would the tcase and tranny share a breather but not the same fluid? its called a "pressure equilizer"

im jst gunna cap one of the trans breathers and extend one for the trans and a seperate one for the transfercase. and I also replace the dust boots for the tcase shifters as they were torn up and useless

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, i connect the stock case to the transmission and ran the trans breather into the engine compartment by the brake booster. Both diffs got breathers too

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Fwiw thats the later model inchworm before they closed their doors. It should have the marlin double row bearings in it. Theres a long thread on here about those marlin bearings spitting balls out since its a maximum capacity bearing. I found an exact replacement that is not a max capacity type. I went to it and had zero issues, and the new owner of my rig also has no issues. I feel that this bearing is superior than the marlin max cap type, but thats my opinion.

It should also have a fill plug on the rear plate. Pass side about 1/3 of the way up the side. I used to fill mine thru the shifter till it came out of the fill plug.

Depending on your front plate, iy may take more than 1 quart. If the front plate is the earlier design that keeps all the oil in the crawl box, 1 qt is about right. If its the plate that uses the dead space in the tailhousing for oil, its almost 2 quarts. But you have an auto, I've never seen that plate. Either way, pull the fill plug and fill it till it pours out. If for some reason it doesnt, if you look down the shifter its a little less than halfway up. If its too full, itll puke.

Either way. The tailhousing has a seal that separates the tranny fluid from the gear oil. I would vent the crawl box and the tcase into the dead space.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. Do you have any part numbers on the better bearing if i have the bad style you mentioned?

My crawl box does have a fill plug but its at the very top of the driver side of the case. Theres no way it takes that much fluid though. I guess the only real way to know whats what is to disassemble it and im not gunna do that jst yet

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Fwiw thats the later model inchworm before they closed their doors. It should have the marlin double row bearings in it. Theres a long thread on here about those marlin bearings spitting balls out since its a maximum capacity bearing. I found an exact replacement that is not a max capacity type. I went to it and had zero issues, and the new owner of my rig also has no issues. I feel that this bearing is superior than the marlin max cap type, but thats my opinion.

It should also have a fill plug on the rear plate. Pass side about 1/3 of the way up the side. I used to fill mine thru the shifter till it came out of the fill plug.

Depending on your front plate, iy may take more than 1 quart. If the front plate is the earlier design that keeps all the oil in the crawl box, 1 qt is about right. If its the plate that uses the dead space in the tailhousing for oil, its almost 2 quarts. But you have an auto, I've never seen that plate. Either way, pull the fill plug and fill it till it pours out. If for some reason it doesnt, if you look down the shifter its a little less than halfway up. If its too full, itll puke.

Either way. The tailhousing has a seal that separates the tranny fluid from the gear oil. I would vent the crawl box and the tcase into the dead space.

You think that bearing will fit the Trail Gear adapter. I’ve been wondering but kept forgetting to ask you.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have any part numbers on the better bearing if i have the bad style you mentioned?

My crawl box does have a fill plug but its at the very top of the driver side of the case. Theres no way it takes that much fluid though. I guess the only real way to know whats what is to disassemble it and im not gunna do that jst yet
Thats not a fill plug, that has a heavy spring and a detent ball for the shift rail.

I don't remember off the top of my head. Let me see if I can dig up the thread.

Edit: https://www.ttora.com/index.php?threads/198933/

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
You think that bearing will fit the Trail Gear adapter. I’ve been wondering but kept forgetting to ask you.
If the tg adapter uses two single row bearings back to back I dont see why not. I know advance adapters was making a plate like that, dont know if tg ever followed suit. If its the older tg plate that just uses one single row bearing, then it wont.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts