TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a good cheap tilt gauge. What are you guys running and what do you recommend? I've been googling every name I can come up with and searching on ttora with not much luck other than some cheapies at amazon.

Jesse

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I had a factory one from the 84-88 style in my turbo. I had one in my truck for a few weeks and went to an aftermarket cheepy one.
you can see it on the dash here...It was like $15 if i remember correctly

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks where did you get that cheap one? And the other one you had was the Toyota one?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I think I got mine (like Russ's) at Fort Collins 4x4...

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
4wheelparts has em and a few others. I think i saw one at walmart in the RV stuff...might be different tho.

the other one was factory from SR5 4runner . I dont have a pic off hand

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks guys. I'll try to stop by there tomorrow. Russ, any ideas what yours is called? (Can't seem to find them at 4 wheel parts)

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
take mine..... it is annoying now. it has full tilt and also an altimeter (in meters) it came out of a surf runner IIRC

nothing is wrong with it.... i just am unmotivated to take it out and sell it. so make me an offer. it has backlights too... functioning as of about 10pm tonight

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I think troys right...I havent seen mine in like 2 years. Right now i dont have anything in the truck.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I like the smaller Tilt-o-meter too, but the Toyota style one is cool as well (that rich has).

Tilt-o-meter, maxed out at like 37 degrees in Tippy!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are most people not running them then? Thats always been one of my biggest fears when wheeling and some times it gets hard to tell where you're at.

I literally feel like I've searched everything so I'll just call up that shop and see what they have (wasn't able to stop in)

Molly/TC, what is "typically" the tipping point for a 2nd gen? Is 37* about the max? (though I have a slightly lower COG, just getting a ballpark)

take mine..... it is annoying now. it has full tilt and also an altimeter (in meters) it came out of a surf runner IIRC

nothing is wrong with it.... i just am unmotivated to take it out and sell it. so make me an offer. it has backlights too... functioning as of about 10pm tonight
thanks, I will get in contact with you.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Molly/TC, what is "typically" the tipping point for a 2nd gen? Is 37* about the max? (though I have a slightly lower COG, just getting a ballpark)
Molly has had hers over farther than that, but she has pretty wide wheels.

You will freak out before it rolls. 37* seems like a small number, but is WAY the hell over

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
yeah... the one time i actually spent the time to look at mine it was pegged at 40 to the side and 30 to the front. and that was cause i had nothing better to do waiting for someone to keep me from going the rest of the way.

the altimeter was cool too, but then that GPS fad came out and it tells me what the elevation is anyways...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha alright gotcha. Well I'm curious to see just what degree its at when I start to get a little nervous. I completely understand that 37 is A LOT. I would imagine due to engine weight that 45 is without a doubt a rolling point? Correct assumption or not?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
it isn't an exact number.... depends on alot of things

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
toyota says not to go past 30deg. but there is room for error. When nate flopped my truck the gauge was maxed out and pinned to the side and the truck still needed help to flop. the other times it went over it wasnt maxed out. It depends on the situation.

nates flop....

I was always told to draw a plumb line from the center of the grill straight down in your head and see if the line falls inside of the tire. If it does you are ok...once that line gets in to the tire and outside the tire your in risk of rolling.

·
20,355 Posts
Yeah, you cannt just go off of the degrees of tilt for rollover risk. there are so many factors.

I think i have a toyota one laying around somewhere. I will look for it if you want it.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
It depends on each rig and each driver. But I will say 2ng gens seem to go over pretty easy once you cross that line. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah thanks guys I was primarily looking for a ballpark, I understand there are hundreds of factors that are involved.

Russ, I could easily see that being a good way to tell seeing as how thats the entire engine weight.

Does no one like the Toyota ones because they only hit 30* and its the point AFTER 30 when you need it the most?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts