TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... got my lift on (cornfed) and am waiting for a few days when i wont be needing my truck to purchase/install new tires/rims. I'm getting the whole deal from a friend of mine's dad... He's a manager who works at a local tire/wheel/suspension shop and is getting them to me at minimum cost (no profit to them). I was talking with my friend about it, and both he and his dad seemed to think that jumping from 30x9.5's up to 32x11.5's would be cutting out some massive power towards higher speeds. This has got me thinking; I would be ok with the look of 31x10.5's as a compormise, but really like the 32's... You guys think the power loss would be that dramatic or cause any problems? Oh yeah... almost forgot to include that i'm running this on a 98' 2.7L 4x4 xtra cab. Let me know what you guys think please!!!

THANKS!
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
hey guys... got my lift on (cornfed) and am waiting for a few days when i wont be needing my truck to purchase/install new tires/rims. I'm getting the whole deal from a friend of mine's dad... He's a manager who works at a local tire/wheel/suspension shop and is getting them to me at minimum cost (no profit to them). I was talking with my friend about it, and both he and his dad seemed to think that jumping from 30x9.5's up to 32x11.5's would be cutting out some massive power towards higher speeds. This has got me thinking; I would be ok with the look of 31x10.5's as a compormise, but really like the 32's... You guys think the power loss would be that dramatic or cause any problems? Oh yeah... almost forgot to include that i'm running this on a 98' 2.7L 4x4 xtra cab. Let me know what you guys think please!!!

THANKS!
Auto or manual?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
hey guys... got my lift on (cornfed) and am waiting for a few days when i wont be needing my truck to purchase/install new tires/rims. I'm getting the whole deal from a friend of mine's dad... He's a manager who works at a local tire/wheel/suspension shop and is getting them to me at minimum cost (no profit to them). I was talking with my friend about it, and both he and his dad seemed to think that jumping from 30x9.5's up to 32x11.5's would be cutting out some massive power towards higher speeds. This has got me thinking; I would be ok with the look of 31x10.5's as a compormise, but really like the 32's... You guys think the power loss would be that dramatic or cause any problems? Oh yeah... almost forgot to include that i'm running this on a 98' 2.7L 4x4 xtra cab. Let me know what you guys think please!!!

THANKS!
you most likely have 3.91 gears if your truck came stock with 235 size tires. jumping to 32s with the 2.7 and those gears will most certainly drop you into Yugo performance compared to what you have now. If your truck came with the smaller 225s (28s) then you will have 3.58 gears and going to the larger tires will be even worse. check your driver's side door panel for your codes. One starting with: RZN___ and the other with BO__. post them here.

the newer Tacos (5-sp) that get the 31x10.50s or 265/70/16s come with 4.30 gears to give about equal performance to what you have now with your present setup.

can it be done w/o regearing? sure, but just be aware of the repercussions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check my door panel tommorow or as soon as I can, and get back to you. If I decided to go with the 31's over the 32s... would that put me in the civic category instead of the yugos? At this point since I dont have the cash to regear, it's sounding like I'm gonna have to stick with my 30's to keep the same performance... or anything close. I'll get back to you!

Thx again!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
I'll check my door panel tommorow or as soon as I can, and get back to you. If I decided to go with the 31's over the 32s... would that put me in the civic category instead of the yugos? At this point since I dont have the cash to regear, it's sounding like I'm gonna have to stick with my 30's to keep the same performance... or anything close. I'll get back to you!

Thx again!
LOL
If you can't regear I would stick with nothing larger than the 31. I've ridden in trucks with the 3.91/31" combo and it's not that bad...you definitely know there's a power drain but it's tollerable. Even off road and in lo range you'll use more clutch than usual and hauling/towing won't be easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
I have a 98 2.7l manual and stock it was geared 4.10. I went to 32x11.5's and noticed significant power loss but it was by no means hellish to drive around town. The highway however sucked, i couldn't make it up inclines without losing speed. It was definately livable but not my favorite while onl ong drives on the interstate. Now i'm geared to 4.88 though rolling 33's .........MUCH better :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hytenor said:
...check your driver's side door panel for your codes. One starting with: RZN___ and the other with BO__. post them here...
Where on the door would I find this? I went out and checked my driver's side door and could only find the VIN? This was on the outer edge by latch.


Assuming I had the better set of gears (4.10) and I went with some 31's... I would obviously notice a power drop, but the thing i'm overall trying to figure out, is how bad is it?... My taco is a daily driver, and i'm doing about 16-20 miles on the highway every day (during week). My dad doesn't want to see anything that is going to "destroy the truck"... and neither do I, so it sounds like i'm gonna be stuck with some straight up replacements for tires? :( :xcrybaby:

*I'll go check my truck again for those numbers... i HAVE to have 4.10s* <<end of wishful thinking>>:D

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
i would just save up another grand for the gears and get the tires right the first time.....get maybe 4.56 or 4.88 and get the 32" tires...and you will be fine...i'm sure you don't want to be running 31" tires after u regeared it...plus if you decide in the period when you were saving that 1 Grand you decided to get 33" with maybe a 2" bodylift to clear it...

IMO you should wait on the tires and get the gear and installed and the tires!!
but that's just me...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
hytenor said:
LOL
If you can't regear I would stick with nothing larger than the 31. I've ridden in trucks with the 3.91/31" combo and it's not that bad...you definitely know there's a power drain but it's tollerable. Even off road and in lo range you'll use more clutch than usual and hauling/towing won't be easy.

Yeah, try 3.58/31" :eek: Seriously, I think I could pedal a bike up hills faster than my truck. That's what I had to put up with for almost a year before I installed 4.88s and 33s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
it will help keep your revs down at highway speeds, in theory, because you will be making your gearing taller, you should get better MPG @ 65MPH....the rality is that it will suck to drive around if you have a lead foot (like me)...bite the bullet and regear, it will be one of the best things you ever did...

Boheefus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Assuming I regear to the correct ratio, will gas mileage take a hit? or should it return to "normal" to match what it was before, without the bigger tires? I'm starting to think I should have done a little more research before i started throwin $hit on my truck without realizing what i'm getting myself into... Just curious, even though I doubt this will happen... about how much would it cost me to regear, and how difficult is it to do the whole ordeal?

thanks guys... trying to keep my head up!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
Assuming I regear to the correct ratio, will gas mileage take a hit?
On the contrary, it will improve since the motor doesn't have to work so hard to push the truck ;)

or should it return to "normal" to match what it was before, without the bigger tires?
that's what regearing is all about

I'm starting to think I should have done a little more research before i started throwin $hit on my truck without realizing what i'm getting myself into...
Welcome to the club. I don't want to know how much $ I wasted before finding this forum.

Just curious, even though I doubt this will happen... about how much would it cost me to regear, and how difficult is it to do the whole ordeal?

thanks guys... trying to keep my head up!
regearing: please sit down...

parts for a 4x4: around $700 including ring & pinion and master install kits
labor: If you drop off the truck at a reputable gear shop figure anywhere from $700 to $1500+ depending on labor rates in your area.
if you take them the rear 3rd member and front diff, figure from $350 to $600.

setting up gears is not a job for the novice. Even good gear shops, if they have not done plenty of toyotas will have trouble. Find some gear shops, ask them if they have experience with Toyota gears and get some quotes.

for parts: http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/
ask for Alex and mention ttora and pirate 4x4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
I just put some 265/75 16's on my stock '02, v6, manual,4.10. Ive noticed a big decrease in power up hills, more than I expected with this size tire.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
lunarmist02 said:
I just put some 265/75 16's on my stock '02, v6, manual,4.10. Ive noticed a big decrease in power up hills, more than I expected with this size tire.
TRD?

I've heard of some power loss with 32s and the v6 but nothing major...interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Ha Ha I had 35x14.50 on my 2.7 auto with 4.10 gears and I just drove it out of overdrive and it did ok to me but I was used to driving and 86 4x4 lifted with 33's 4.10 gears and auto 22re.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
Live4yotas said:
Ha Ha I had 35x14.50 on my 2.7 auto with 4.10 gears and I just drove it out of overdrive and it did ok to me but I was used to driving and 86 4x4 lifted with 33's 4.10 gears and auto 22re.
and your tranny didn't take a dump? LOL I've heard horror stories of ATs and 35s w/o regearing ;)

but with the 2.7 you had to be nuts. you'd never make the hills around here, LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
To tell you the honest truth I would go ahead and get the 32's that you want and later when you get the money get 4.88's installed in the rear and then the front when you get some more money. If your 4x4 and not prerunner. You will love 4.88's and 32's it will have plenty of getup and pulling power and wont rev up very bad. I have 5.29's and 36" tsl radials. I bet I could out run a stock 4cyl. auto 4x4. The truck does great. I have ran 33's with the 5.29 gears and seemed to be ok in the rpm's but I didn't run over about 70 mph with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much did it cost you to get the gears for the front and the back installed... You do it yourself? or have a shop do it? I would love to regear, but being a senior in highschool paying for my own stuff... 2 jobs is barely covers gas, insurance and the stuff I have done to it so far. I'm workin' on a tight budget... as I'm sure you are too! *wink*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I say go ahead and get them. I had the same dilema. I have a 2.7 5spd and I had 265 75 on it when I got it and I now have the 32x11.5 and like em alot. Sure its not as peppy but its not a race car!! It will still smoke em sometimes if youre not careful. I do run without a snorkel so my airbox gets more air and it does fine for me. I would normally get 21-22mpg or so with the tires I had, now im usually at 19-20mpg. I say get em, you wont regret it either way really.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top