TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have 31x10.5r15 km2 on 15x8 MT classic II's (16lb's). Looking to swap over to 265/75r16 goodyear duratracs and 16x8 mickey thompson classic locks (24 lbs) on my 2001 tacoma, 5spd 4cyl. I know increased rotational mass really effects acceleration and mpg when getting heavier tires. But just wondering how much i will notice the 8lb difference in the wheels. Since I have the 4 banger im pretty mindful of doing anything that will really hinder my performance as I dont have much reserve power to begin with on this thing.

Thanks, any input appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The step up in tire size will be far more of an issue in performance than the extra 40lbs of weight your engine is turning.

Do you know what gears you have? (Check the VIN plate...)
Last time I checked I believe I have 4.10's. The 31's weigh 47 pounds and the new duratracs weigh 45 pounds. The truck originally had 265/75/16's when I bought it. The difference in tire diameter is only an inch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The step up in tire size will be far more of an issue in performance than the extra 40lbs of weight your engine is turning.

Do you know what gears you have? (Check the VIN plate...)
Thanks for your input. So the extra weight in the rim is not as noticeable as extra weight on a tire

·
Registered
720 Posts
Unsprung mass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

In part:

The unsprung weight of a wheel controls a trade-off between a wheel's bump-following ability and its vibration isolation. Bumps and surface imperfections in the road cause tire compression—which induces a force on the unsprung weight. The unsprung weight then responds to this force with movement of its own. The amount of movement, for short bumps, is inversely proportional to the weight - a lighter wheel which readily moves in response to road bumps will have more grip and more constant grip when tracking over an imperfect road. For this reason, lighter wheels are sought especially for high-performance applications.

·
Administrator
18,246 Posts
Thanks for your input. So the extra weight in the rim is not as noticeable as extra weight on a tire
Thats not what I said. All other things being equal, you'll notice a far bigger drop in performance (power) due to the increase in tire size than you will the 40lb increase in rotational mass at the wheels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats not what I said. All other things being equal, you'll notice a far bigger drop in performance (power) due to the increase in tire size than you will the 40lb increase in rotational mass at the wheels.
Ah ok thanks

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
It's not like it's the difference between beadlocks and non-beadlocks...

Don't worry about it ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts