TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 factory service manual in electronic form, but it is not as useful as the paper one because it consists of tons of pdf files in a huge tree of cryptically named directories. Some form of a clickable table-of-contents is badly needed.

I know others have a copy of this, has anyone made up a table-of-contents or an index they would be willing to share?

If not, I will make one up myself as a bunch of html files, but it's a lot of typing. I don't want to duplicate someone else's effort if there is one available. :)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Fsm

not2XS said:
I have a '99 factory service manual in electronic form, but it is not as useful as the paper one because it consists of tons of pdf files in a huge tree of cryptically named directories. Some form of a clickable table-of-contents is badly needed.

I know others have a copy of this, has anyone made up a table-of-contents or an index they would be willing to share?

If not, I will make one up myself as a bunch of html files, but it's a lot of typing. I don't want to duplicate someone else's effort if there is one available. :)
that could come in pretty handy. I've got that cd-rom version as well, another member made it for me. Let us know if you find anything! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did the first level of those codes. I currenty have them on MS Excel. If that would help, email me. maybe we can help each other and do all the sub codes??? The main codes get you into the right file real quick and may be all we really need.

[email protected].

Put Toyota FSM in the subject.

I have the 99 FSM, but would like to see a 2001 manual.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZR2Steve said:
I did the first level of those codes. I currenty have them on MS Excel. If that would help, email me. maybe we can help each other and do all the sub codes??? The main codes get you into the right file real quick and may be all we really need.

[email protected].

Put Toyota FSM in the subject.

I have the 99 FSM, but would like to see a 2001 manual.
By "first level" I'm guessing you have links to get you to the right directory for something like "suspension", or "5VZ-FE cooling"?

I don't have Excel on the computer I have the FSM on, so is it possible to get the raw information out in some form of plain-text format? That would save me some of the typing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just a thought, will take some time but consider paying for a day on Toyota's Tech website and download all the data regarding your truck.

The website is :http://techinfo.toyota.com/

It is about $10 for 24 hour membership. With highspeed it took me 3-4 hours to download hundreds of pdf files. I set up a directory system similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\2000 Toyota Tacoma\Factory Service Manual\Repair Manual\Body Electrical\Headlight Tailight

Makes it easier to save each one as they are almost all named the same thing.

Also, to save time I only saved the directories related to my truck; 2000, V6, Auto, Xtra cab, etc.

After downloading all of the service manual stuff, service bulletins, wiring diagrams, owners manual, etc I took several hours to organize it, give everything a name so I can find it and burn it to a CD, only 45Mb though.

Good luck

·
Registered
469 Posts
I did what ByrdDog did, except I downloaded everything related to the 2000 Taco, all the TSBs, and even all of the Tech articles for mechanics. I also did the same thing for my 1990 Lexus. Pretty good deal for $10, but you really have to make the directory/folder structure as you go. I just built mine like Toyota's and it was pretty easy. I've started to go through renaming the files so the individual pdf files are easy to identify.

I just wish I knew more about adobe so I could take all the pages for something (say the 150 manual transmissions) and put them all in one file so I wouldn't have to open three or four documents on the same subject. Does anyone know if you can add more pages to a pdf document with the free version of Adobe?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I did what ByrdDog did, except I downloaded everything related to the 2000 Taco, all the TSBs, and even all of the Tech articles for mechanics. I also did the same thing for my 1990 Lexus. Pretty good deal for $10, but you really have to make the directory/folder structure as you go. I just built mine like Toyota's and it was pretty easy. I've started to go through renaming the files so the individual pdf files are easy to identify.

I just wish I knew more about adobe so I could take all the pages for something (say the 150 manual transmissions) and put them all in one file so I wouldn't have to open three or four documents on the same subject. Does anyone know if you can add more pages to a pdf document with the free version of Adobe?
No, you have to have the full version to do that. I started to make an index using the full version but I got lazy and stop. It can be done though. So far I have combined different pages for the clutch "CL" into just one file. You open up just one file, and all the pages are there. If somebody wants to host it, I'll e-mail you what I've done.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
For those that are DL'ing the 2003 FSM in another thread, there is an index included if you DL the zipped version. If you're html inclined you can rename the links reorganize them as you see fit.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ByrdDog20 said:
Just a thought, will take some time but consider paying for a day on Toyota's Tech website and download all the data regarding your truck.

The website is :http://techinfo.toyota.com/

It is about $10 for 24 hour membership. With highspeed it took me 3-4 hours to download hundreds of pdf files. I set up a directory system similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\2000 Toyota Tacoma\Factory Service Manual\Repair Manual\Body Electrical\Headlight Tailight

Makes it easier to save each one as they are almost all named the same thing.

Also, to save time I only saved the directories related to my truck; 2000, V6, Auto, Xtra cab, etc.

After downloading all of the service manual stuff, service bulletins, wiring diagrams, owners manual, etc I took several hours to organize it, give everything a name so I can find it and burn it to a CD, only 45Mb though.

Good luck
I got a CD, it sounds like the exact same stuff. a whole bunch of directories with files like "insp.pdf" in them. What I am after is an index or table-of-contents to make the whole tree of files as easy to use as the paper manual. It does not sound like techinfo.toyota.com provides a table-of-contents from your description, or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
not2XS said:
I got a CD, it sounds like the exact same stuff. a whole bunch of directories with files like "insp.pdf" in them. What I am after is an index or table-of-contents to make the whole tree of files as easy to use as the paper manual. It does not sound like techinfo.toyota.com provides a table-of-contents from your description, or am I wrong?
Check your PM's!

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
alex9021 said:
If somebody wants to host it, I'll e-mail you what I've done.
I wonder how much it would be to get the editable Adobe version. I would have you send me that, but I already have the same files (if yours are for 2000) on my pc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I wonder how much it would be to get the editable Adobe version. I would have you send me that, but I already have the same files (if yours are for 2000) on my pc.
I"m working on the 99 FSM. As far as how much it cost, I don't know. A friend loaded it in my computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts