TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have been looking for a truck bed shaped (cut for the wheel wells) mattress for camping. The only thing I can find is "Truckbedz", and they run $250!!! For a frekin air mattress?!? Anybody else know of any other manufactures that might make something similar? It doesn't even have to be inflatable, but something shaped for the bed of a tacoma...

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be what I end up doing. It would be nice to find something that stores a little easier in the truck though when not being used. - Hence the inflatable...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
stinkycoon said:
Hey guys.

I have been looking for a truck bed shaped (cut for the wheel wells) mattress for camping. The only thing I can find is "Truckbedz", and they run $250!!! For a frekin air mattress?!? Anybody else know of any other manufactures that might make something similar? It doesn't even have to be inflatable, but something shaped for the bed of a tacoma...

Thanks!
We camped for a month on a cheap inflateable Coleman mattress in the back of my truck. It was about $12 plus $10 for the inflator/deflator. Worked great and was cheap enough that if it popped you can replace it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
stinkycoon said:
Hey guys.

Thanks!
A full size air mattress fits pretty good in hte bed of our trucks. As for the wheel wells, the air mattress will kinda squish around them.l
-Chris

·
Registered
485 Posts
Shit, who cares? You are just sleeping on the mattress, doesn't really matter what it looks like. I use a futon in mine and it conforms pretty good. One question, parents getting in the way of special time with the girl?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
stinkycoon said:
Hey guys.

Thanks!

You might wanna check out the inflatable camping mattresses at Target or Walmart... I got a Coleman "full" size + battery/electric pump for ~$30 @ Target

The mattress is pretty durable and super comfy. It's not cut for the wheelwells, but it should conform -- it's air right?

Better yet: check out bajataco's set up -> http://www.bajataco.com/Camper3.html

-r

·
Registered
125 Posts
why do you want the sides covered? I can't imagine it'd be too comfortable to sleep with a wheel well up your butt. this was my solution.
http://img174.exs.cx/img174/4350/cargoboxes6zx.jpg
This way I can still fit big stuff in my truck if I need, and I just turned those wasted areas into cargo storage. great for camping because a regular mattress still fits between them and you can still open them.
let me know if you want more info or pics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
fourstringfletch said:
why do you want the sides covered? I can't imagine it'd be too comfortable to sleep with a wheel well up your butt. this was my solution.
http://img174.exs.cx/img174/4350/cargoboxes6zx.jpg
This way I can still fit big stuff in my truck if I need, and I just turned those wasted areas into cargo storage. great for camping because a regular mattress still fits between them and you can still open them.
let me know if you want more info or pics.
Hey man, I'd like to see some more pics of your setup. Very nice. Email me at camaddy at hotmail.com.

·
Registered
485 Posts
camaddy said:
Hey man, I'd like to see some more pics of your setup. Very nice. Email me at camaddy at hotmail.com.
What more do you need to see? He just slid a mattress between the wheel wells and wala! Sleeping space plus extra space for other things

Ryan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the consensus is to just go with a cheap coleman matress. That should work fine if it doesn't overlap the wheel wheel too much. I like bajataco's setup, but I would hate to lose all of the headroom...

100 Posts
Sleeping in comfort

:D
stinkycoon said:
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the consensus is to just go with a cheap coleman matress. That should work fine if it doesn't overlap the wheel wheel too much. I like bajataco's setup, but I would hate to lose all of the headroom...

I made a bedliner out of half inch marine plywood and covered that with in/out carpet. Semi- Permanent fixture. It being flat I then do what another post advises and roll down a half inch of foam rubber and throw sleeping bag in. It is all zzzzzzzz unless you have some backstrap in cooler out of season. I have a hard tonneau cover, keep that down, open tailgate and have scotch tape system to keep mosquito bar in place. Plenty of space for gear for two people for at least a week. Works for me in Ace's.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts