TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
@#$%ing brake issues again.....help please

Awhile ago i posted that my brakes had somehow gotten soft and stared to not stop so well. I found my master cylender to be defective and installed a new on. Everything then seemed to be fine... Now as i went to leave from work today i again had a very soft pedel. what the hell? I cant figure it out the breaks have been bled, new breaks all around and only running 31 10.5 15,s so im not sure what to do next. any one else had these kinds of problems? thanks in advance!!! :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's possible to have gotten another bum master cylinder. Is it still under
warranty?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure if it is under warranty or not but ill be talking with napa auto parts today about it....so frustrating!

·
Registered
185 Posts
dagrace21 said:
im not sure if it is under warranty or not but ill be talking with napa auto parts today about it....so frustrating!
There's your problem. Napa remans are not known to be the highest quality. I use their stuff too, but on reman calipers and masters I have had to swap them out once or twice to get one that lasts. Don't even get me started on napa reman starters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re bench bleed

yes it did get a good bench bleeding , though i didnt do it myself it was done by a reputable friend....I was just over at his shop and pulled off my front wheels i found that my pads had cracked and where seperating from the metal backer plate. apperently i didnt brake them in properly. so new pads and rotors later (my choice on the rotors though the reality is i probably didnt need to do them) the problem still seemes to be present though im going to drive it and see what happens

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
Oily said:
Possibly have contaminated brake fluid.
Brake fluid absorbs water, even from humidity in the air.
This would only matter if the brake fluid temperature grew past the boiling point of water, 220F. This is highly unlikely to happen on a fresh start.

Water is just like any other liquid, it won't compress. Brake fluid is special for various reasons, most important its boiling point is very high. Once brake fluid (or water) boils and converts to gas the gas will compress. The gas compresses much easier than your brake calipers and you are left with crap for brakes. Luckily the whole line won't boil at once. The bit of gas in the lines to start with will behave like a poorly bled brake system. After a while as more liquid turns to gas you'll be left with a 4,000lb rock on wheels.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
dagrace21 said:
Awhile ago i posted that my brakes had somehow gotten soft and stared to not stop so well. I found my master cylender to be defective and installed a new on. Everything then seemed to be fine... Now as i went to leave from work today i again had a very soft pedel. what the hell? I cant figure it out the breaks have been bled, new breaks all around and only running 31 10.5 15,s so im not sure what to do next. any one else had these kinds of problems? thanks in advance!!! :confused:
Did you install a brand new mc or a rebuilt one? I have had a ton of trouble using rebuilt master cylinders on all late model cars and trucks that use an aluminum master cylinder. They work fine for a few weeks and then crap out just like the old one did. I always put a 100% new mc on all my customers vehicles now. They are usually a lot more money than a rebuilt but they dont bite me in the ass a month later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem; I put in a new master cylinder with no effect. Then I thought it might be a bad power booster; nope. I took it to Midas (so I wouldn't have to pay the dealership $$$) and they said there was no problem! A panic stop that kind of coasts to a stop over 100' seems like a problem to me. Anyway, I talked to a mechanic friend the other day, and he said he's 90% sure the problem lies in the ABS system. My ABS light came on a few times last summer, but went off when I restarted the truck. Now, I notice that it doesn't come on at all when all the other idiot lights come on when you first start up. He can't work on that system, and says that probably only a Toyota place can. Knowing how they operate; they will probably just rip out ALL the old ABS components and install new ones, rather than track down the specific problem; so $2000-4000. I wonder if the whole almost useless ABS system can be bypassed? I'll have to take a look at the routing of the brake lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts