TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share.

G&D Aircraft (in Ontario) will build steel braided brake lines to any length, with any connection you need for a fraction of the cost compared to kartek, orw, 4wheelparts etc. They are not DOT approved, but if they are safe enough for airplanes....safe enough for me.

Now, I hope rocks will stop finding there way to my brake lines. I am really getting tired of bleeding my brakes on the trail.:mad:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
hey john- how much did you pay for you brake lines?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Havent gotten them yet, but they said on the phone ballpark of 20$ per line.
Wow, that's way cheap. That's like 60% off. Let us know how they work out.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that's way cheap. That's like 60% off. Let us know how they work out.
Ended up costing $23 per line (plastic coating +1$ per foot). I got some low profile banjo bolts as well (hopefully they will put a stop to my brakes getting knocked loose on the trail from hitting the coilovers.) for a grand total of 50 bucks even.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Their called G & J aircraft on Sultana in Ontario and yes top notch lines I've been running them on my 4runner for awhile and on my dirt bikes forever!! They also got lots of pretty colors to choose from ! They also have all kinds of other goodies like silicone hose, AN fittings, heim joints,titanium bolts and nuts etc etc cool place to check if you're ever in the area and they know there stuff! Man I feel like I should have got paid for that commercial !!!!

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
FWIW, you can get DOT lines at GandJ. It's just a boot that goes over the end.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
It's a plastic boot that goes over both ends.

FWIW, there is no difference in the manufacturing the DOT and Non-DOT lines. The only difference is the boot at the end. It's there to prevent strain at the crimp connection. (Kind of like on your power tools, where it enters, it has a boot there to prevent strain where it goes into the tool)

DOT:

Non-DOT:

·
Registered
65 Posts
nice!! didn't know that. I figured they actually get inspected by DOT then get stamped or approved at a cost of course, then that lovely cost get's passed on to us by the manufacture of that DOT line.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
nice!! didn't know that. I figured they actually get inspected by DOT then get stamped or approved at a cost of course, then that lovely cost get's passed on to us by the manufacture of that DOT line.
DOT inspects nothing. They just set guidelines. If the product falls within the guitlines, it's DOT approved.

My Goodrich lines are DOT and don't have a boot, just an extra sleeve at the crimp ends.
As long as there's something there to prevent strain at the crimp, it's DOT approved. Sleeve, spring, boot...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
can you select red as a color for the lines? just trying to dress up a few things on the taco. Ben hearing great stuff about that place, i live close to them as well. when i re-do my front suspension soon, i think it'd be a good idea to swap out my warped rotors and pads, throw these up front as i already have an extended rear line lying around too. Anyone know how hard it is to bleed brakes for drums in the rear? i've done the fronts before, no biggie just haven't done drums yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts