TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completely blew both inner boots at 50K miles and I'm over 200K miles. The grease is very long since gone but still no sounds, but they're inner joints and I'm not driving much in 4wd (they're ADD).
It's been 150K miles of wait and see but I'm getting curious what I'm waiting to see. Will there be any noise of critical wear in 2wd given there's no stress/loading? How will ultimate failure occur, ie could I damage my front differential?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Subbed for the carnage.

Why would you go an additional 150k miles on blown boots is beyond me. They are continuously spinning with the ADD but have no load, just along for the ride. That’s 150k miles of boredom never having used the 4wd.

I would think they’d eventually wear down enough to fall apart. Then once the loose end starts flopping about it’s trash the suspension and anything nearby.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subbed for the carnage.

Why would you go an additional 150k miles on blown boots is beyond me. They are continuously spinning with the ADD but have no load, just along for the ride. That’s 150k miles of boredom never having used the 4wd.

I would think they’d eventually wear down enough to fall apart. Then once the loose end starts flopping about it’s trash the suspension and anything nearby.
I actually regularly use 4wd. Cabin is up a 30 mile dirt and granite trail that's unmaintained with 2 river crossings, usually I drive it in 4wd and visit a few times a year. If anything I'm surprised by how long they've gone without any sign of failure which is why I ask what I should be looking for. I always expected to hear a bit of grinding or something but it never came.

I'll do the silicone red inners with replacement CV's right away, y'all got me nervous now. :surprise:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99.9% of people never grease their u-joints and how often do those fail under low stress road driving? I'm thinking the inner cv joint would be a similar wear component.
Thoughts on that? Order just went out to CVJ regardless.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
When mine tore I got one from Napa(less range of motion than Toyotas) used it to swap. I took off one CV at a time and with a boot and grease kit from Toyota redid them. With the boot slide mod. That way, when done you'll at least have always have a spare.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Got one CV swapped this afternoon and the inner bearings on the old one didn't have any play. There was still a coating of grease on the bearings, best thing I did was avoiding the temptation to spray any lubricant into the busted boots as it would've rinsed this bit of oil coating.
So after 158K miles with completely severed inner boots the joints could've gone a lot longer (though why not just replace them). I regularly drive dusty trails and wet weather. FWIW I went with the high angle boot setup on reman OEMs from CVJ.
Happy to be the guinea pig for y'all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You've never seen what a CV failing starts to do? I had one fail on an old FWD car in the 90s and they usually start off clicking when you take corners and eventually the clicking gets worse until it completely fails. In a FWD car almost complete failure results in the steering wheel starting to vibrate badly and then eventually when it lets go the vehicle stops moving and your CV pieces will explode all over the road and leave you with no ability to drive due to a disconnect in power to the drive wheels. On a RWD vehicle without manual hubs this could cause some problems if you keep driving since you can still drive the vehicle with the rear wheels while the cv has failed and it could bang against things and cause damage to other stuff or just grind against whatever it is touching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts