TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the inner boots are more problematic than the outers? It seems like more and more people are saying to watch out for the inner boots and make sure the fins aren't touching. But the inner boots have a more "rolled" shape, not the bellows shape that the outer boots have. Looking at my axles, the outer boots look more prone to wear than the inner ones.

What gives?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
rub more... i really wish i could give you a better expanation. on the 4 sets of boots I have had (2 still on the truck) the inners always are the problem. sorry for being so un-helpful.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
22RToy said:
Why is it that the inner boots are more problematic than the outers? It seems like more and more people are saying to watch out for the inner boots and make sure the fins aren't touching. But the inner boots have a more "rolled" shape, not the bellows shape that the outer boots have. Looking at my axles, the outer boots look more prone to wear than the inner ones.

What gives?
the inners rub at the same angle (side to side) all the time but the outers change with turns. The outers are also better designed for flexing than are the inners. The OE boots were never meant for the steep angles we put on them ;)

Downey and CV Unlimited sell hi-angle boots, around $50/axle for the complete kits. But...even they will wear out with too much lift.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
hytenor said:
the inners rub at the same angle (side to side) all the time but the outers change with turns. The outers are also better designed for flexing than are the inners. The OE boots were never meant for the steep angles we put on them ;)

Downey and CV Unlimited sell hi-angle boots, around $50/axle for the complete kits. But...even they will wear out with too much lift.
thx thats what I was trying to think of... but couldn't bring it out of myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hytenor said:

The inners run at the same angle, or did you really mean "rub"? I don't really see how the inners could rub, because their fins are so spread apart. About the outer ones flexing in the turn, to me that means they should wear faster. The inners are only maxed out when the suspension tops out.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see which ones spill their guts first, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts