TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear People, Greetings.

I am looking to put together a vehicle for the desert and Baja trips. In contacting my local Toyota dealers, I have found they do not make a Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with a long bed and the TRD OFF ROAD package. I want to be able to sleep in the back in case of bad weather so I need the long bed. I have not been able to find out why they do not make the Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with the TRD OFF ROAD package. Does anyone know why or who I could get in touch with to find out why? Does anyone know if I get a Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with, or without, the TRD SPORTS package and then subsequently have someone who knows what they are doing modify it to be the equivalent or better than the TRD OFF ROAD package? (I have heard the E-locker, and what ever other parts are needed, is both available and not available through Toyota)Who in Northern California Bay Area can professionally retrofit it to become the equivalent of the TRD OFF ROAD package? OR, why should I not go down this path? There are other things I would want installed on the vehicle as well, so I am looking for a shop that specializes in customizing vehicles for off road trips who has experience with doing Tacoma's. I appreciate any thoughts and or help.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
This is the same problem I had. I ordered the TRD OR pkg in DC LB config, then 4 weeks into waiting, the dealership called and said that the truck was not available in this config west of the rockies. Seems that they make it differently for the varying sales demographics across the USA. I settled for the SB and after modding it, wished that I had saved the money and ordered the SR5 instead. IMO, just get the SR5 DC LB and mod it the way you want it. It sounds like you will be changing eveything on the truck anyway. Why waste money on parts that you are going to throw out anyway? There are a couple of aftermarket lockers available, so don't stress over the rear end locker.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree. I have the TRD version, but I bought it knowing that I would change most of it eventually. Its just that I won't be doing any mods for a couple of years(most likely) and so I wanted the TRD in the meantime. But if you are truly builidng a desert expedition rig, you will replace most of the TRD Package pieces anyway. The main exception would be the rear locker. Get an ARB and a compressor and you will have on board air and rear locker for less than the TRD package price.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
224 Posts
A locker would be nice but airing down will get you out of most situations in Baja. I traveled all over the desert down there in a 2x toyota with a body lift and didnt get stuck once. In fact Ive been to spots in a 4x4 that I thought were pretty rough only to find locals there in a stock chevy car! Where are you headed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Mojavegold, Thank you for the information and wisdom of your experience. Can you recommend anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area or environs who can professionally do a desert conversion on a Taco.? BTW, I contacted dealers in Chicago and Texas and they said they could not get a taco double cab 4x4 with a long bed with the TRD off road package either.
Joshua

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Free, Thank you for the good advise. I do not know of anyone who has experience with the ARB air locker. Does anyone?? Can you recommend anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area (preferably the East Bay) who can do a proffesional job of it and other related things on the taco.? Do you have any idea why Toyota does not provide the TRD off Road package with the double cab long bed taco.? Joshua

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear rynosurf, Yeah its amazing to see where the locals down in Baja get around in some pretty beat up older 2x vehicles. I have been down a few times and enjoy all of Baja except the cabo area - I also enjoy spending time in the upper reaches and western side of Death Valley - I just returned last Friday from 10 days in the Saline and Eureka Dunes area. Joshua

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
you are very welcome. Wish I could help you out, but I live in SoCal. You might want to PM Norcal for shop info. He's a taco vet up north. If you are mecanically inclined, you can do most of the mods yourself, but leave the locker install to the pros.:2cents:

·
Registered
301 Posts
For the locker, Pete's Gear Shop in Hayward will do a bang up job for you. For your needs, I would just get an SR5 and spend that money saved on a full OME setup (or Donahoe's if so inclined), and an ARB. I would also get the TRD OFF ROAD skids and tow hook (of something better when they come out). You will also need to call Stubbs Welding for some sliders for that LONG beast (mine just showed up UPS today :D)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Stay away from the toyota skid plate. It's only .125 thick. I bent mine the first time OR.:2cents:

·
Registered
61 Posts
dude you should check out expeditionportal.com. thats what their all about. like 80% toyota trucks. tons of build ups and stuff. ttora still the best but they are more specialized

·
Registered
407 Posts
Stay away from the toyota skid plate. It's only .125 thick. I bent mine the first time OR.:2cents:
x2

Bashed mine....might as well have been cardboard....get armored!

Good luck and regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts