TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to pass inspection i need a new U Joint and front shocks. He wants 500 bucks to fix is that fair?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
What kind of vehicle? I wasn't aware that some states tested your u-joints and shocks as part of a safety inspection....

·
Registered
324 Posts
in mass they do that during inspection too, if i was you, i would check to see if you do need new shocks and u-joint (both easy to find out) buy the parts you want, and fix it your self, easy fixes, then go get inspected, or go somewhere else where thell just slap a sticker on, they do exist if you look around.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
that is crazy. I have never heard of someone doing all of that for an inspection. Down here, it is like a drive through. you drive up, hand them your paperwork and ten bucks, and they give you a sticker.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
A driveline shop should be able to replace a u-joint for less then $100. Maybe you meant to say ball joint instead?

The front shocks aren't that expensive. Bilstein shocks for the front should run about $175 or so plus installation. So like $300 for the shocks installed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
to pass inspection i need a new U Joint and front shocks. He wants 500 bucks to fix is that fair?

My General rule of thumb.. NEVER have an inspection station repair anything that they find. There are a lot of shady shops out there. I once paid $40 for a license plate bulb and a set of wipers. He wasn't going to pass me without replacing the parts. I should've asked the cost before he installed them.

Take it somewhere else if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
908 Posts
WTF?????? inspection????

for once cali doesn't have the BS before the rest of the nation...in this case at all........as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
At my inspection last year the first place I went to quoted me about $1000 dollars to get it inspectable. I brought it to another place and it passed. I did keep in mind what the previous station had mentioned was wrong but it was a couple small fixes and I was good to go for much much less than $1000.

·
Registered
76 Posts
keep in mind not all shops are shady, but you should get a second opion.

and also shady shops will pass you if there's something wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts