TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just installed my cobra 19 cb and the 3ft firestik antenna. I know from searching on this that i def. need to get it tuned...thats no big deal as i can get a shop here to do it for 5 bucks. however, just while using it to see how well it works for now and to see how clear it was while talking to my buddy who installed his at the same time....i get shitty reception and his talking came in very rough. seems like im not getting a good distance either from the antenna (we were parked next to each other when talking to each other)....my question is will getting it tuned fix all of that? or is it the cb and antenna just arent the best? also to add on many channels i get alot of the sound of what you hear when you release holding down the talk button on the mic...just alot of clicking sounds on every channel. is that part of tuning too? thanks guys im just wanting to get this thing to work well and get some good reception!

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
hey guys, i just installed my cobra 19 cb and the 3ft firestik antenna. I know from searching on this that i def. need to get it tuned...thats no big deal as i can get a shop here to do it for 5 bucks. however, just while using it to see how well it works for now and to see how clear it was while talking to my buddy who installed his at the same time....i get shitty reception and his talking came in very rough. seems like im not getting a good distance either from the antenna (we were parked next to each other when talking to each other)....my question is will getting it tuned fix all of that? or is it the cb and antenna just arent the best? also to add on many channels i get alot of the sound of what you hear when you release holding down the talk button on the mic...just alot of clicking sounds on every channel. is that part of tuning too? thanks guys im just wanting to get this thing to work well and get some good reception!
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
4ft. minimum on antenna's. Also check your mount to make sure that it's not grounding out. Antenna should be isolated from mount base. Also, grounding is very important. When your done grounding your rig...ground some more!!!

***Remember...your antenna system is 90% of your setup!!***

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4ft. minimum on antenna's. Also check your mount to make sure that it's not grounding out. Antenna should be isolated from mount base. Also, grounding is very important. When your done grounding your rig...ground some more!!!

***Remember...your antenna system is 90% of your setup!!***

Hows this look:

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
As people have said, make sure you have a good ground. I'm not sure what kind of ground you have with the bracket going into the bed coating.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
the threads might be touching metal... but having an electrical ground doesn't always make for a good ground plane ...that setup will be directional for transmitting... but the fact that the OP can't receive (if I read the post correctly) tells me, or I'm guessing, that the signal wire inside the coax has found ground at one of the connectors, or is pinched somewhere. I have the same problem in the Sammi when I 'store' the antenna folded under the roll cage.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You definatly need to ground that mount. Also get rid of that "pre-made" coax. They are garbage! Go to a CB shop and ask for RG8x or RG213 and make it for what ever length you need. Run power and negative (ground) straight to battery!

Here's my mount

Samples of grounding
(chassis to bed)

Hood to fenders

·
Registered
704 Posts
You definatly need to ground that mount. Also get rid of that "pre-made" coax. They are garbage! Go to a CB shop and ask for RG8x or RG213 and make it for what ever length you need. Run power and negative (ground) straight to battery!

Here's my mount

Samples of grounding
(chassis to bed)

Hood to fenders

Why ground your hood?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
(we were parked next to each other when talking to each other)....

also to add on many channels i get alot of the sound of what you hear when you release holding down the talk button on the mic...just alot of clicking sounds on every channel. is that part of tuning too?
RF gain is too high. I had the exact same problems when I installed mine. Turns out that since I was parked right next to my buddy and we were testing, we were actually too close when our RF gain was turned all the way up (maximum sensitivity). Turning it all the way down solved the problem instantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.