TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Tacoma TRD
Just had new gears intalled in the rear thrid.When the guy setting up the gears put every thing back together he put it back together with the locker engaged and left the actuator off for me to put back on.We just put thrid back in truck and acutator back on but even with the switch on dash off it still showing locker is engaged and it is. We can't get it to disengage buy just rotating drum.Did we do somthing wrong?i really don't want to just put tires back on it and try driving it and mess somthing up any help would be greatly appericated.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
not an expert here, but..... .what kind of locker?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
You are going to need to move it to the unlocked position then put the actuator on. To do this, simply side the gears over to the opposite direction.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are going to need to move it to the unlocked position then put the actuator on. To do this, simply side the gears over to the opposite direction.
NO please don't say that the only way we just got alxes back in and brakes bleed.I really don't want to pull all this shit apart again.I 100 % sure on how the e locker work but should it disengage with switch off?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
NO please don't say that the only way we just got alxes back in and brakes bleed.I really don't want to pull all this shit apart again.I 100 % sure on how the e locker work but should it disengage with switch off?
It's not difficult at all. You don't need to do anything but remove the actuator, slide the gear over, and put the actuator back on. The elocker gear will be in the "unlocked" position when the switch is off. If the 3rd was assembled and left in the "locked" position, placing the actuator into the 3rd with it in the "unlocked" position will not allow the motor to move the actuator in the correct direction.

Another way to do it is to remove the actuator, press the RR Diff Lock button to "locked", then insert the actuator into the 3rd.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you got that taken care of but i started to put actuator back in i realized housing is cracked all the way around right under o-ring
WTF.we did nothing that should have caused that to break.:mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
thank you got that taken care of but i started to put actuator back in i realized housing is cracked all the way around right under o-ring
WTF.we did nothing that should have caused that to break.:mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Ouch, yes I've seen one of those aluminum housings crack. Corrosion gets in there and weakens the metal. You can try JB weld to hold it until you find another actuator.

·
Registered
131 Posts
TRD rear

There is a detailed explanation on how to properly install the actuator in the Tacoma FSM.First you need to remove the actuator and through the hole that the actuator goes in you move the shift fork all the way to the left.Then you need to orient the matchmarks on the actuator pinion gear(using a 1.5 volt battery on pins 3+2 to power actuator motor-caution do not use direct 12volt power) between 0 and 5 degrees.You do not have to remove the axles.There are pictures in the FSM that will make it clear.There are other ways of doing this method provides jam-free operation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts