TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my third member and my axles today and had someone help me with the installation of the Powertrax No-slip.

Everything went fine except for my drums. I smashed the shit out of them and I also managed to strip the opening to pull them out. So I had to get new drums. I would recomend to anyone doing this mod to bath everything you are going to take off liberally in Rust Penetrant and maybe buy plan on buying some new drums.

The No-slip performs well, I have no complaints. It unlocks easier when you are at a rolling speed. The only time it wants to stay locked is backing out slowly out of a parking space, but that is nothing. Do it slow and no wheel hop.

I did loops and figure eights forwards and backwards on and off-road. No complaints.

It wants to hold on to the road more on highway speeds. I might be crazy, but it seems to handle better.

I had to take the ring gear off to get the locker in, but someone held my hand the entire time I was installing it.

I have wheeled it already and it does well, however going in reverse in deep ass mud it tended to want to plow and not go willingly where I was steering it.

The street manners are a lot better than I had imagined.

I took pictures, but forum will not let me post them. It says the file size is to big. The pictures I took are tame by comparison to the quality of pics on this website. It doesn't make sense. It's grainy as hell off of a 3 megapixel camera. Most of the pics on this site put it to shame, but what can you do?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sweet! You impressions about how the locker performs on the street are much like my own. I've had my No-Slip installed for almost two months now, and it's great. No going back now...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JBL13 said:
Sweet! You impressions about how the locker performs on the street are much like my own. I've had my No-Slip installed for almost two months now, and it's great. No going back now...
Well, believe it or not. You convinced me to go with the No-Slip.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
The Shocker said:
I removed my third member and my axles today and had someone help me with the installation of the Powertrax No-slip.

Everything went fine except for my drums. I smashed the shit out of them and I also managed to strip the opening to pull them out. So I had to get new drums.
You DO realize now that you did not have to remove the drums....- You could have pulled out the cv shafts with the drums completely assembled.

There are also two threaded holes that you can use to push the drum cover off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
grillmasterp said:
You DO realize now that you did not have to remove the drums....- You could have pulled out the cv shafts with the drums completely assembled.

There are also two threaded holes that you can use to push the drum cover off.
I stripped the threaded holes all to pieces.

No, I didn't think about leaving the drums on there. Like I said. I pulled the rear apart by myself and I'm still a rookie.

I guess I got tunnel vision. I clamped the brake line. Used a 10mm line wrench to disconnect it from the back of the drum. Disconnected the parking brake then I tried to get my drums off. I got so freaking angry at those drums, I started banging the hell out of them. Then I tried to pull them out with the threaded holes and they stripped. I hit them so hard that the one of the weights fell off.

I also bled my brakes, put in some more fluid, then pumped them, but It doesn't brake as well as it did before I put the locker in. Go figure.

On a lighter note, the locker works great!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Powertrax directions were right on and rock solid. It was a piece of cake putting it in. The only thing you had to keep aware of was alinging the paddles exactly like the directions said.

That was really no big deal, because I took it to work and took it to bed with me and I went over it a dozen times. (Reading it and going over it before I went to sleep.)

Taking the ring gear off was unexpected. We made a mark where the ring gear lined up then we took it off. Put it back on with no problems. Torqued the bolts back on to 90 foot lbs.

What I liked about my third member when I was inspecting it was those two brackets that held the bearings togethor. That's why I bought a Toyota. That is a heavy duty little rear. I counted 43ring 10pinion.

I torqued the brackets back down to 83 foot pounds.

The driveshaft and the third member were easy to get off with an impact. After I took the axle nuts off I used an assload of penetrant. I went back about 15 minutes later and used an assload more. The axle tapped out with ease. I didn't even need pullers. It was great.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
The Shocker said:
I took pictures, but forum will not let me post them. It says the file size is to big. The pictures I took are tame by comparison to the quality of pics on this website. It doesn't make sense. It's grainy as hell off of a 3 megapixel camera. Most of the pics on this site put it to shame, but what can you do?
You can link to pics of any size/quality, you are only limited when you attach pics using this server's web space.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Anti Bling ( Very clever I like it ). If there is a free site I can set that up, that would be fantastic. PM me. Thanks.

Your pictures must be a lockrite or something else. My No-Slip did not look like that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Were any extra springs supplied with your No-Slip? I found a spring on the floor in the front of my truck a few days after the installation (at a shop), but it looks like the kind of spring that would come out of a ballpoint pen or something. Not sure.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
The Shocker said:
I stripped the threaded holes all to pieces.

No, I didn't think about leaving the drums on there. Like I said. I pulled the rear apart by myself and I'm still a rookie.

I guess I got tunnel vision. I clamped the brake line. Used a 10mm line wrench to disconnect it from the back of the drum. Disconnected the parking brake then I tried to get my drums off. I got so freaking angry at those drums, I started banging the hell out of them. Then I tried to pull them out with the threaded holes and they stripped. I hit them so hard that the one of the weights fell off.

I also bled my brakes, put in some more fluid, then pumped them, but It doesn't brake as well as it did before I put the locker in. Go figure.

On a lighter note, the locker works great!

A search for "removing third member" would have given pretty explicit instructions
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3609&highlight=removing+member
-In this case it may have saved you some time & money (chalk it up to lesson learned)

- My guess is that you did not ues the proper bolt thread to insert into the threaded holes on the drum- also you want to use 2 bolts if possible- and alternate

- I also suspect you still have air in your system if your braking is still "mushy"
try to bleed it again from the rear

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
-In this case it may have saved you some time & money (chalk it up to lesson learned)

- My guess is that you did not ues the proper bolt thread to insert into the threaded holes on the drum- also you want to use 2 bolts if possible- and alternate

- I also suspect you still have air in your system if your braking is still "mushy"
try to bleed it again from the rear[/QUOTE]

Got it! Will re-bleed on Thursday.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JBL13 said:
Were any extra springs supplied with your No-Slip? I found a spring on the floor in the front of my truck a few days after the installation (at a shop), but it looks like the kind of spring that would come out of a ballpoint pen or something. Not sure.
Nope, no extra springs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
grillmasterp said:
A search for "removing third member" would have given pretty explicit instructions
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3609&highlight=removing+member
I just read that completely, I forgot to mention that I scraped the old gasket off and used silicone instead. I also used anti-sieze on the axle bolts, and the brake line.

What I didn't do is put lock-tite on my driveshaft bolts. I think I might go back and do that too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One for sale

I have one that I put in my 1995 1/2 Tacoma ( Part # 92-2080-3002) for 2 months and had to pull it out after gas mileage dropped from 22 MPG to 13 MPG and on the ice we had it was a wild ride on off ramps. the unit is complete with box and installation guide ( the guide has grease on it :) ) The unit is awsome but not great on the road ( for me that is )

PM if you want more info.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
md1 said:
I have one that I put in my 1995 1/2 Tacoma ( Part # 92-2080-3002) for 2 months and had to pull it out after gas mileage dropped from 22 MPG to 13 MPG and on the ice we had it was a wild ride on off ramps. the unit is complete with box and installation guide ( the guide has grease on it :) ) The unit is awsome but not great on the road ( for me that is )

PM if you want more info.

Thanks
Uh....... Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? That doesn't make much sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts