TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well since there are no decent write ups available, and crawlers dont seem to come with any instructions of any kind I will share some of my recent crawler experience.

There is alot more to installing a crawler than one may think, granted all Tacomas are not the same. This is referring to a 2004 V6 Tacoma DC.

A dozen things that need to be modified to fit a crawler...

1. floorboard, (extent depends on your amount of rotation or clocking and if you have a body lift or not. 20 degrees clocking and 1" body lift requires a decent amount of pounding in one area but nothing too severe.

2. emergency brake, on my truck the crawler moves the transfercase back right into the E-brake bellcrank. This will need to be reworked, there are many possible ways to accomplish this.

3. Driveshafts, front one lengthened, rear (front half) shortened (8.5"for mine)

4. modification of crawler shift lever and TC shift lever to try to aim them at the stock floor opening and the infamous "cupholder" hole. A short shift kit helps with the cupholder hole.

5. cut a big hole in your floor, no matter how much you try it will turn out twice as big as it needs to actually be (at least twice).

6. fab up custom skid plate, many options here.

7. extend sensor wires for TC.

8. custom shift boot to seal gaping hole in floor.

9. some sort of additional crawler mount to support added length, weight, and torque of crawler.

10. Stock up on "ultra grey" silicone and use plenty of it, fixing leaks is a major pain in the ass.

11. get an open account for bolts at Ace Hardware because your going to need lots of additional hardware (studs, bolts, etc.)

12. learn to think out of the box and identify and solve many unforseen and unexpected issues that will arise just when you least expect it.

Oh yeah... this will most definately void your warranty :saw:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the future heads up! ...and you paid a lot for these issues LOL!!

Enjoy the crawler!

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Thats the good thing about not having a money tree :D Gives us po'folks plenty of planning and pondering time. Im not even close financially to a crawler but I have already figured out everything you listed :D

Anyway congrats on the crawler!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
mojavehanna said:
Well since there are no decent write ups available, and crawlers dont seem to come with any instructions of any kind I will share some of my recent crawler experience.

There is alot more to installing a crawler than one may think, granted all Tacomas are not the same. This is referring to a 2004 V6 Tacoma DC.

1. floorboard, (extent depends on your amount of rotation or clocking and if you have a body lift or not. 20 degrees clocking and 1" body lift requires a decent amount of pounding in one area but nothing too severe.

2. emergency brake, on my truck the crawler moves the transfercase back right into the E-brake bellcrank. This will need to be reworked, there are many possible ways to accomplish this.

3. Driveshafts, front one lengthened, rear (front half) shortened (8.5"for mine)

4. modification of crawler shift lever and TC shift lever to try to aim them at the stock floor opening and the infamous "cupholder" hole. A short shift kit helps with the cupholder hole.

5. cut a big hole in your floor, no matter how much you try it will turn out twice as big as it needs to actually be (at least twice).

9. some sort of additional crawler mount to support added length, weight, and torque of crawler.

10. Stock up on "ultra grey" silicone and use plenty of it, fixing leaks is a major pain in the ass.

11. get an open account for bolts at Ace Hardware because your going to need lots of additional hardware (studs, bolts, etc.)

12. learn to think out of the box and identify and solve many unforseen and unexpected issues that will arise just when you least expect it.

have you checked out what i did for ebrake and skids, shifters, boot?
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/mods/crawler/

and you can avoid cutting ANY holes in the floor if you go with TBob's bling bling ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the info man. I wouldn't try that without help.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
mojavehanna said:
There is alot more to installing a crawler than one may think
X2.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
mojavehanna said:

Quit yer bitchin... Get out and wheel that pig! :) (Tierod??) :D

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Congrats on the crawler...it is something that I would like to install in mine too. I am sure all the headaches and pains of the installs will be forgotten after you engage the double low and crawl over something you never thought possible...yep I am jealous :p

·
Registered
933 Posts
What did you need bolts for? My inchworm kit came with all the neccessary hardware. I did use a junkyard case though so I got some of the bolts from that too. I'll agree with you on the other stuff, but it isnt that hard. Just time consuming. You will need money, time, tools, and general automotive knowledge. Anyone who thinks they can just spend 1500 and get a bolt on double low range is kidding themselves. Congrats on the new crawler.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
And I have an Inchworm Crawler gift certificate for $ 250 towards the Crawler kit that runs out this month... It's a waste cause I'm not going to be ready for all the expense... And I don't feel like ordering it and just looking at it... $ 250.00 just ain't shiat... LOL

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hytenor said:
have you checked out what i did for ebrake and skids, shifters, boot?
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/mods/crawler/

and you can avoid cutting ANY holes in the floor if you go with TBob's bling bling ;)
Only about fifty times, I have about twenty of your pics printed in my garage for referrence.

T bobs set up is nice, but I dont have a twin stick shifter, and I couldnt justify a ton of cash for a set up like that. Besides, I could always weld the hole back up :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
shovelracer said:
What did you need bolts for? My inchworm kit came with all the neccessary hardware. I did use a junkyard case though so I got some of the bolts from that too. I'll agree with you on the other stuff, but it isnt that hard. Just time consuming. You will need money, time, tools, and general automotive knowledge. Anyone who thinks they can just spend 1500 and get a bolt on double low range is kidding themselves. Congrats on the new crawler.
Dont get me wrong, its not rocket science, its just as you said "time consuming". Lots of thinking and planning involved, lots of modifying involved. Its like a SAS kit, yeah you have all the parts... its making it all fit and work right that takes some skill. One thing I learned is that the more clocking you have, the more work its going to be.

Some places bolts wont clear the adapter...studs required.

other places stock bolts looked like grade 2, I opted for grade 8.

one place only a 6mm. socket head bolt would fit.

new skidplate, crossmember, TC mount... all need hardware.

I dont like using questionable hardware so if I need a bolt I go buy it... but it adds up in the end with a lot of trips to the store.

Thats my whole point is that there is alot more to installing a crawler than ordering the kit and bolting it in. Bolting it in is easy, its all the modification, fabrication, and re-engineering involved that makes it a chore.

I would not have been able to do it without my MIG welder, air compressor and cutters/ grinders/ sanders, a cheapo trans jack, and a rather decent assortment of hand tools.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
TacoDell said:
And I have an Inchworm Crawler gift certificate for $ 250 towards the Crawler kit that runs out this month... It's a waste cause I'm not going to be ready for all the expense... And I don't feel like ordering it and just looking at it... $ 250.00 just ain't shiat... LOL
call Jim and see if you can either use it for something else or extend the time on it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing, 4.7's and auto trans. is nice. I dont know why everyone says its too low its not for rockcrawling and why else would you buy a crawler?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
PuckerFactor said:
an auto with a crawler is gotta be cake walk on the rocks :)
Yeah you can even do your own spotting. ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I assume your fittment problems was the rear of the crawler. There are two plates that are bolted together. This is also where some of the clocking comes from. If you dont put some of the 14mm bolts into there holes before you join the plates you'll never get them in. Also there is one that is on the inside and bolts the plates to the OE transfer case. Do not install this bolt. If you do you cant remove the transfer case without removing the crawler. This will be a problem if you ever break your input shaft of your transfer case and need a quick replacement. Also makes installing by yourself easier. You shouldnt need any special tools. Some of the bolts can only be reached with a box wrench once the plates are joined.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
;)
shovelracer said:
I assume your fittment problems was the rear of the crawler. There are two plates that are bolted together. This is also where some of the clocking comes from. If you dont put some of the 14mm bolts into there holes before you join the plates you'll never get them in. Also there is one that is on the inside and bolts the plates to the OE transfer case. Do not install this bolt. If you do you cant remove the transfer case without removing the crawler. This will be a problem if you ever break your input shaft of your transfer case and need a quick replacement. Also makes installing by yourself easier. You shouldnt need any special tools. Some of the bolts can only be reached with a box wrench once the plates are joined.
I just ground the shit out of the adapters. Plenty of meat- bolts go in now.

Seriously- clarify all this with whether or not you built your own.
If you have a blue box and are bitching you need a kleenex and dry it the fuck up

All thats been covered. In numerous posts. By me :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
14 Participants
Wes
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing