TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in installing a hitch on my 1999 Xtra Cab, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road. Now the problem is that there are d-rings attached to the frame, where I believe the hitch would mount. There are two holes on the very end of the frame, am I correct in assuming that this is where the hitches mount? If so, it looks like it was used as a recovery point at some point, and slightly bent the bottom part of the frame where those holes are. Is there anything I can do to bend it back? Or does the hitch possibly not even mount there?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It might be easier to leave it the way it is, or cut off the D-rings and weld a bracket on for a reciever hitch, so that its straight even though the frame is bent. The potential problem I see with going this route is further frame failure. Then you would be cutting it off and dinking with it again.

It sounds like its been modified by someone. I do not know of any year that came with "D" ring as a recover point on a stock Tacoma TRD or not. I imagine there are holes along the sides of the frame in the rear for tow hitch, I know for sure that later TRD models came with the pre drilled holes.

If the case is that the frame is bent, it needs to be straightened, if it were me I would take it to a reputable body shop with frame straightening equipment, so that its straightened properly. Then I would reinforced or fish plate the frame, then put a hitch on.

If I was going to fix it, I would want to do it right the first time.

Wally

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I didn't state it clearly enough, the d-rings are of the type that you can screw on and off easily, someone had just put it them through those holes in the frame, so removing them is no problem at all. The problem is just that the part of the frame with the holes is slightly bent, like where the frame is shaped similar to an I-Beam the bottom part of the I is slightly bent downward. A hitch would not mount flush to the frame.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yes a hitch fits those two holes on the sides of the end of the frame, as well as one on the very end on the bottom.

Wally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts