TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if I can grease the "custom toytec alcan aal" I just ordered prior to install on an '07 taco to keep them from squeeking?

I'm removing some fabtech aal's that were cut down to fit my truck (they were made for '04 and earlier taco's) as I'm thinking the alcan aal will work better as it's designed for my truck. The fabtechs were starting to squeek like crazy when climbing in and out of the truck and seemed to be starting to dig in to the factory leafs at either end where they were cut.

thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Yes. You are supposed to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx, that's what I thought, I had a shop cut down and install the fabtech leafs and they didn't grease them and sure enough started squeeking like crazy within a few weeks, that's when I figured I'd order the toytec Alcan's and do it right, at least until I can spend the money on a replacement leaf pack....

edit-guess that's what I get for being lazy and not doing it myself

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
thx, that's what I thought, I had a shop cut down and install the fabtech leafs and they didn't grease them and sure enough started squeeking like crazy within a few weeks, that's when I figured I'd order the toytec Alcan's and do it right, at least until I can spend the money on a replacement leaf pack....

edit-guess that's what I get for being lazy and not doing it myself
You won't be let down by the Alcan AAL's. For a single AAL, they are far superior to any other brand out there.

It also woudn't be a bad idea to grease the stock pads. Also, grease the hell out of that front bushing where the bolt goes through, or use anti-sieze. You'll thank me later when it comes time to swap out your leaf pack ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You won't be let down by the Alcan AAL's. For a single AAL, they are far superior to any other brand out there.

It also woudn't be a bad idea to grease the stock pads. Also, grease the hell out of that front bushing where the bolt goes through, or use anti-sieze. You'll thank me later when it comes time to swap out your leaf pack ;)
x2. My Alcans didn't squeek. Best AAL for the money. My new Dakars don't squeek either...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
x2. My Alcans didn't squeek. Best AAL for the money. My new Dakars don't squeek either...:rolleyes:
Mine did. The buddy who did the pass side didn't use enough grease :rolleyes:

So all I had to do was take a screwdriver, slip it between the leavs, and add some more greast. It was fine after that.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Mine did. The buddy who did the pass side didn't use enough grease :rolleyes:

So all I had to do was take a screwdriver, slip it between the leavs, and add some more greast. It was fine after that.
10-4 No probs with the grease attracting dirt and making more noise?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
10-4 No probs with the grease attracting dirt and making more noise?
Nope. Dont a wheelin trip already with a stream crossin and it hasn't squeaked.

You don't need much. If there's any gobs around the pad just wipe it. All you need is a layer on the metal and the plastic.

I'd imagine that if it were to get to a point where it would squeak, it would be pretty easy to just slip a screwdriver in there and add some more.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nope. Dont a wheelin trip already with a stream crossin and it hasn't squeaked.

You don't need much. If there's any gobs around the pad just wipe it. All you need is a layer on the metal and the plastic.

I'd imagine that if it were to get to a point where it would squeak, it would be pretty easy to just slip a screwdriver in there and add some more.
10-4 My Dakars came with grease on the pads, but I only have 2 OR trips on them so far. They may squeek some time down the road. Looks like white lithium grease on the pads.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
10-4 My Dakars came with grease on the pads, but I only have 2 OR trips on them so far. They may squeek some time down the road. Looks like white lithium grease on the pads.
I used Marine grease on mine. Waterproof and works well.

Shoot, I use marine grease for almost anything (except wheel bearings and such)

I doubt it would make a difference on what grease you would use.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I used Marine grease on mine. Waterproof and works well.

Shoot, I use marine grease for almost anything (except wheel bearings and such)

I doubt it would make a difference on what grease you would use.
10-4 I agree. As long as it is compatible with the plastic wear discs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts