TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to BajaTaco's generosity, we have a write up on "Installing an Optima Red Top model 34/78 in a '99 Tacoma" that can be found
HERE

Again big thanks to Baja Taco!

Cheers :xbeer3: ,
P

·
609 Posts
P1michaud said:
Thanks to BajaTaco's generosity, we have a write up on "Installing an Optima Red Top model 34/78 in a '99 Tacoma" that can be found
HERE

Again big thanks to Baja Taco!

Cheers :xbeer3: ,
P
Nice. Another alternative is to flip it on its side. The stock harnesses still reach and then you have acess to the 2 set of posts for winch cables and aux relays. I will snap some pix soon of what it looks like. You still need the battery tray of sorts or a 1" piece of UHMW(cutting baord) material as a base but no welder required.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wisctaco04 said:
Another alternative is to flip it on its side. The stock harnesses still reach and then you have acess to the 2 set of posts for winch cables and aux relays. I will snap some pix soon of what it looks like. You still need the battery tray of sorts or a 1" piece of UHMW(cutting baord) material as a base but no welder required.
I'm currious to see your set up. Good stuff, that's why it's good to post these set ups that way we can see what others have done.
Be careful of just using a piece of cuttiogn board or other similar material as a spacer. Baja Taco said this during one of our discussions: " I know of people who have tried this with disastrous results. Vibration will work anything like that loose."
Cheers :xbeer2: ,
P

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just yesterday I got my 34R and installed it (temporarily). I'd made it clear to the vendor (Batteries Plus) I needed the spacer tray thingie (G24 adapter - 242-0018). They said, "It comes with the battery." No, it didn't. As a temp fix I cut out (4) 9" X 6" pieces of plastic pegboard, heavily taped them together into a 1" thick block, and snugged the battery down on top of this temp spacer (stock bracket / no bending or tweaking). This'll do while I go back after the Optima adapter...

·
609 Posts
P1michaud said:
I'm currious to see your set up. Good stuff, that's why it's good to post these set ups that way we can see what others have done.
Be careful of just using a piece of cuttiogn board or other similar material as a spacer. Baja Taco said this during one of our discussions: " I know of people who have tried this with disastrous results. Vibration will work anything like that loose."
P
I agree about sliding out. I actually used a generic tray for this Tacoma but on my 94 Toyota I went the UHMW route and used a counersunk bolt to hold it permanently. I have a welder to fab up brackets but I know alot of fellas don't so I threw out an alternative. I will get som pix this p.m.

·
Registered
246 Posts
OK, the article has been modified a little bit to address the height difference with the welded bracket vs. a spacer, and also to mention side mounting. Thanks Wisctaco. And again, thanks P for the article. Good job!

·
609 Posts
P1michaud said:
P
Here is a pix of the setup. There is a 1" tray underneath. The only wire to relocate or redo is the ground to chasis which is the jumper you can see on the lower left side(now it's the top)post. The original jumper is still attached to the negative lead. Both stock harnesses are uncut. Now I can run my amp/winch/headlight relay off the 2nd post.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in need of something like this. Right now I modded the bracket a bit, and used a shop rag on both sides. Clamps down really tight now, but looks really ugly. I'll post a picture of whatever I come up with.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
i had the fabrciator build me a custom battery tray with a lip on the side for my Warn M8000 solenoid pack
I will post a pic of email you one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts