TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i get bigger tires then my gear ratio is supposed to change or else I wont have enough power right? How do I install new gears and how much should they cost/ where can i find them

·
Registered
489 Posts
it depends how much bigger than stock you go. if you originally had 31" tires with stock 4.10 gears, you can go up to 33 and be ok, but its recommended to go 4.88 or even 5.29 if you want to go to 35" tires. what is your stock size? where do you want to go?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gears will put you back 800 to 1200 bucks for parts; due to the fact ya have to do front and rear. As for installing them yourself goes; if you've never done it, don't try it with out the help of a buddy that has set up ring and pinions before. The pinion depth and back lash are critical for the longivity of a set of gears.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse. If you searched on this topic, you would find a days worth of reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
tenntaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing