TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock airbox was cracked where the tube met the box, so i went and bought an air raid intake. since the installation the exhaust has gotten significantly louder at about 3500+ rpm. It sounds really good, but it made a much larger difference than i would have expected. I was just curious if this was a normal result. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My stock airbox was cracked where the tube met the box, so i went and bought an air raid intake. since the installation the exhaust has gotten significantly louder at about 3500+ rpm. It sounds really good, but it made a much larger difference than i would have expected. I was just curious if this was a normal result. Thanks in advance for any input.
:doh:

*sigh*
Alright...

Seeing how you haven't made any changes to the vehicle's exhaust system (that being anything from the exhaust ports on the block on back to the tailpipe) when you did the intake install, one can surmise that your extra sound is actually coming from the intake. You probably removed a bunch black plastic container looking thingies when you installed your intake. They're called resonators and those bits are there to lessen the noise coming from the motor out of the intake tract, which when left un-muffled, tends to be obnoxious to most drivers. Remember, Just because air is getting drawn into the motor doesn't mean that sound can't come out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes it is normal, because the stock intake has parts to muffle the sound.

Even though it is an intake tube, noise does travel back in ignition firing pulses.

Even different mfg. of gasoline will make your truck sound different. For me, Costco gas ie. cheap gas will make your truck louder and Shell Premium will quiet my truck down. Racing fuel will make it purr.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, i always thought the chambers to muffle the intake were to quiet that sucking noise that the air makes when it's flowing through the filter. Shows what i know. :rolleyes: thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Umm yeah...still gonna get flamed anyway!!! you removed the whole intake assembly and replaced it with a straight tube...HELLO!!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umm yeah...still gonna get flamed anyway!!! you removed the whole intake assembly and replaced it with a straight tube...HELLO!!!
Thank you so much for your helpful input :flipoff1: Forums like this are for people who don't know much, such as myself, to learn shit. Your flaming doesn't do anybody any good other than entertaining yourself.

To the rest of you who answered my question. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Even different mfg. of gasoline will make your truck sound different. For me, Costco gas ie. cheap gas will make your truck louder and Shell Premium will quiet my truck down. Racing fuel will make it purr.
:bs:

·
Registered
111 Posts
BS?! Buy some racing fuel and run it in your truck and see if it quiets down. Mine does, but then maybe you don't have a supercharger and/or your tone deaf. I think you just have SuperCharger envy!

Don't judge others for something you know nothing about or have not experienced!

Sick of Ass Clowns like you...exactly why I left this forum before.

df

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If premium gas is making your truck run quieter, then you are probably pinging with low grade gas. With your charger i'm sure that's the case. No need to be callin names now.:dunno:

·
Registered
111 Posts
No it's not pinging sound. The actual exhaust tone has decreased with high octane fuel or better quality fuel.

I will to prove it.....hmmm maybe I can make an avi video file and post it...would need a sound pressure meter.

Anycase, I notice little things like the tone of my engine and exhaust, when my truck is soooooo sensitive to different gasoline mfg.; especially when we Kalifornia supercharger peeps have to put up with 91 octane crap.

df

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
BS?! Buy some racing fuel and run it in your truck and see if it quiets down. Mine does, but then maybe you don't have a supercharger and/or your tone deaf. I think you just have SuperCharger envy!

Don't judge others for something you know nothing about or have not experienced!

Sick of Ass Clowns like you...exactly why I left this forum before.

df
I'm talking about cheap gas vs expensive gas....

Gas is gas...

·
Registered
111 Posts
NorcalPR,

If thats your belief, You just keep on believing that...in that case also, you should keep on buying the "Thrifty" Gas and see what happens to your valves and injectors.

I guess according to you, "Top Tier" rated gasoline means nothing.

No harm, No foul to me...I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and you do what you do....others will follow whoever. I have over 127,000 miles and have never had to correct an issue with Toyota or check engine light come on and I beat my truck like a redheaded step child!

Blah! df

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
higher octane fuel won't ignite as easily under pressure. with a supercharger your getting more compression. shitty gas pre ignites like a son of a bitch with high compression. If you like your heads, then continue using the "good" gas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Now that you removed the mufflers from the intake, the intake noise is now complimentary in tone to the exhaust noise. Since low frequency sounds are increasingly non-directional, it is tough to tell whether the extra noise is coming from the front or rear.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that you removed the mufflers from the intake, the intake noise is now complimentary in tone to the exhaust noise. Since low frequency sounds are increasingly non-directional, it is tough to tell whether the extra noise is coming from the front or rear.
sounds like you paid attention in science class. I shoulda done the same.

·
Registered
583 Posts
first off hight octane is a hell of alot better then low octane worse case scenario with low octane bent rods bad yes i learned this in my mechanics class higher octance ignites alot better and burns better

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
First of all lower octane ignites more readily and is the reason higher octane ratings are required for higher compression applications. It doesn't burn any better or cleaner than lower octane gasoline it just ignites at a higher temperature giving the engine a chance to burn the fuel in a controlled manner rather than detonating in an uncontrolled and engine damaging fashion.

Maybe you should seek a refund for what ever you paid for your mechanics class. If this message is any indication, I would also say that that perhaps you are due a refund for your English instruction.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts