TTORA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was playing with a couple of ideas with a buddy of mine who owns a Neon SRT and the idea of thermo wrapping the outside of the supercharger and hooking up a co2 to spray under the wrap. As far as how to manage the bursts of co2 or how much cooling the outside of the charger would do, I dont know. Just an Idea. It would probrably look ugly as shit as well.
That's a horrible idea, the SCer is not a heat exchanger so the cooling of the air would be minimal. But worse yet the bearings, bearing oil, impelers, gaskets, etc... would be subject to extreme swings in temp. Thermal expansion/contraction could be catastrophic for parts whirling at high rpms and tight tolerances. Plus cold metal is more brittle. Need I go on?

·
Registered
320 Posts
AHH, makes sense. I guess Ill go pull all the renolds wrap tinfoil off my motor:rolleyes: I was thinking more or less wrapping the neck of the S/C right after the throttle boddy and ending before the nose or even before the body of the unit, but your right all in all bad idea.

Didn't ford do a prototype with the intercooler incorperating the air conditioning to create a super cool intake temp? I think it was on a lightning (mabe 2008) that never got released. Any ideas on how they would get that to work?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Didn't ford do a prototype with the intercooler incorperating the air conditioning to create a super cool intake temp?
I don't know, but they did design the Pinto gas tanks. :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Didn't ford do a prototype with the intercooler incorperating the air conditioning to create a super cool intake temp? I think it was on a lightning (mabe 2008) that never got released. Any ideas on how they would get that to work?
Yes they did.

The way that worked is they used the A/C to chill down some coolant and when you mashed the throttle it would pump it into the intercooler system and it would make the charge air cooler for a short period of time. Then it would have to recharge.

A few people using the URD Supercharger system rigged up an icewater box for drag racing. That would pump chilled ice water through the intercooler core and really drop the charge air temp. This is good for short term use like drag racing, then you have to drain it and load it back up with new ice and water. Works great!!!

Gadget

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is this the 3.4 Rotrex S/C setup I've been seeing rumors on CT about for some time now?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The TRD Supercharger for the 5vz is a nice unit. It is proven very reliable and it makes decent power. They fell just a little short on engine management and fuel delivery, but URD can help you there.

Several people over time have tried to rig up a charge air cooler with the TRD Supercharger and non have proven to be worth the trouble or cost.

If you really want a charge air cooler it would be simpler to start from scratch instead of attempting to modify the TRD unit.

Here is a picture of a supercharger system in its early prototype stage. It runs well and I hope to have some better prictures of things when I get parts back from the powder coater.
Very nice FMIC setup for the front of a 1st gen Tacoma/4Runner. I'd ultimately prefer to go this route for simplicity's sake, but as you said above, it's not really possible with the TRD unit. I'm assuming this system is put together with one of your Rotrex superchargers like the 4.0 kit you offer. Especially since I think I see the Rotrex oil cooler in the upper right hand corner.

Any chance this'll be offered up to the masses?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw a pretty cool setup last year. The guy had a 1st gen supercharger for the 3.4 motor. They put the A-W unit inside of the intake part of the charger. Saw another one where they added an intake spacer and then sandwiched the cooler between the intake portion and the actual supercharger. It would only work on 1st gen because the supercharger is independent of the manifold. The 2nd gen is all one piece.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts