TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys would know far better than I, so I was hoping for some advice.

I'm gonna throw a D60 under my truck and tube the back past the cab. I thought it would be kinda retarded if I cut everything up, including the frame. So would you guys think there would be any interest in a 'roller'? (Or whatever you call it.) Or is it just better to part everything out? This would include both bumpers, frame, wheels/tires, axles and suspension. I would be happy as a pig in shit to get 1k for it, or is that too much?:confused:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
you can leave that stock bed on my driveway if im not around haha

Part what your not using to mitigate cost of the SAS. are you building the full frame or just forward of the cab and back of? Save the vin and put it in the new section just so its all legit.

·
7,735 Posts
It was good to meet you yesterday...

Maybe you said so, but I forget, what would you be keeping if you were to sell that truck as a roller? Different people have different ideas of what that is.

Are you talking about just ditching the frame, suspension and axles, but keeping the cab, drivetrain and everything under the hood? If so, I don't think there's much of a market for a frame and suspension only sale. You could probably sell most of the suspension parts, but I don't see selling the frame by itself.

I vote that it would not be worth the hassle of fabricating a frame from scratch. That's alot of work and alot of opportunity to screw things up with limited fab/build experience. I would think that keeping the frame square while welding it all together is going to be tough. Re-creating all the little tabs and what not is going to add up to a PITA with little advantage over just hacking up the frame.

As usual, I could be wrong. that's just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am lost in the "roller" translation.

Where does that come into play since the conversation started with "im putting a d60 under my truck"

roller chassis? As in you will not actually be putting a d60 under your truck , but instead building everything from scratch and selling current truck? or taking the body and selling everything else?

or roller d60? As in either stock or built.

The part about being happy with 1k leads me to think that you are trying to sell the d60 as a roller, or is the truck dif than the one in your avatar pict, the one in the pict looks like much more than a 1k truck.

I am fucking confused! 1k for a roller d60 may not be out of the question, but 1k for a nice truck seems too cheap.

If all else fails........... work with what you have!!!!

these arent the droids your looking for ................

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I just cut it up, the only sections that would remain run the length of the cab. Seems to be a bit of a hassle to add a body lift and cut all the crossmembers off, as well as the sliders.

If intact taco frames are as hard to find as I thought they are, I figured I could make one available and at the same time just throw some square tubing of similar dimensions under there and weld some body mounts on at a desired height rather than add a 1" body lift. I'd come out with a cleaner end product and someone else could have a complete taco frame to work with.

If there's no market for a frame and I have to deal with VIN issues, then I couldn't care less if I cut it up.

As the truck sits now, the only parts I would be keeping would be the cab, bed, engine, tranny, tcase, and fuel/evap/emissions stuff.

The parts to get rid of would be the frame, bumpers, sliders, suspension, wheels/tires, axles, diffs, and drive shafts.

I hope that clarifies things.

As for the question about the diffs, I'm running open/open cryoed 5.29s. They probably won't be availble until fall sometime. Your PM box is full BTW.:eek:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ahh clear as mud now my friend! :D

I would cut what you have now and go the truggy route. Or tube the entire thing and sell what you have now minus what you need to keep engine, tranny, etc..... I think you would get the best bang with one of those options.

I am partial to the cut the crap out of what you have now. Although, I will say from experiance that you will want to lose the stupid awkward sized taco fuel tank and replace with a cell or something like an f150 tank. My taco tank is too big and gets in the way all the time. One day I will follow the above advice. :rolleyes:

Bed? why keep the bed if your cutting the back of the frame off? If you want to keep the bed, then i am leaning even further toward cutting what you have.

In any case! I look forward to seeing what you decide.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was keeping the bed so I can cut it up and make removable bedsides for the tubed portion.

Figured I'd keep the tank so I can move all the parts over to a fuel cell. I'll have limited room to work with as it is, so that's likely my best or only option. I'd consider building my own, but I've looked all over and can't find SHIT on how to build a proper baffle setup. There's not a whole lot of anything about gas tanks in general for that matter.

I'd like to keep this thing street legal.

As for the frame, Russell mentioned the VIN. Is it necessary to have? If I sold the frame do I have to be concerned about paperwork/documentation issues? Is it all on a state by state basis for regs?

Where the hell is the VIN located on the frame anyway? Haha

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
for the tank baffles you might check with 00regcab (Nate) iirc he fabbed one up. Or maybe he was going to cab one up. I know I have seen them on pirate over the years.

As far as the frame having a VIN. I don't know. I looked all over the outside of mine and I don't see anything stamped on it, i swear i have seen #'s stamped on it somewhere..... although i could have covered them up with frame plating and what not.

Damn... i must be getting old. Writing this post just made me realize i cant remember shit!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Were you getting off I25 at 119 tonight? I could have sworn i saw your taco on the off ramp as we passed by.

·
7,735 Posts
I'm pretty sure the VIn is on the passenger side frame rail in between the motor mount and firewall. And yeah, Nate did build one. I don't think it's finished tho.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm pretty sure the VIn is on the passenger side frame rail in between the motor mount and firewall. And yeah, Nate did build one. I don't think it's finished tho.
That would explain why i cant see mine.... its plated over.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
This may be a dead and gone issue.... but i found the serial number on the frame.

It is on passenger side behind the rear axle, stamped right in the middle of the frame rail. It isn’t the VIN though.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Frame stampings aren't complete VINs; it's the model number and sequence/build number. The middle digits are left out that identify the engine/trans, plant of origin and stuff like that. I have no idea why, but that's how they do it. Probably some legal thing.

Example: my 84's VIN was JT4RN60R9E5006979 but the frame only had RN60-006979 on it. Maybe they stamp the entire VIN these days, I don't know but kinda don't think so.

:2cents:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This may be a dead and gone issue.... but i found the serial number on the frame.

It is on passenger side behind the rear axle, stamped right in the middle of the frame rail. It isn’t the VIN though.
Yeah I found that VIN info as well, on the passenger side just forward of the firewall. Mine is painted over.:eek:

Why cut up the bed, when you could sell a complete bed and get fiberglass bedsides?
Fiberglass is harder to work with and/or repair, probably easier to damage, costs more, have fun bobbing fiberglass, aaaannnnd it's too late.:D

Took yall's advice. Glad I did.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
9 Participants
wytaco26
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing