TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Toyota tacoma will start sometimes and not start at other times.

Here is how it started:

A week a go I was at a friends, I went out to my truck and tried to start it. I got nothing but the clicking of the turn of the key. All of the lights came on but no starter turnover. After looking under the hood and trying to figure out what was going on I started shaking the gear knob back and forth while trying to start it. What do you know...It started!. I thought weird, there must be a bad wire in there or something. For the next few days it started up just fine, no problems. Then this morning, I got in my truck cranked it and still it started fine. Drove it a few blocks, came back home and shut it off. About a half an hour later I was off to work, so I got in my vehicle and it would not start the same problem i was having before. I took off the casing around the gear knob and had a look (shook some wires etc...) still no start. I attempted to start it for about another 15 mins then i gave up.

I called a tow truck, had it taken to a mechanic. Right when it got there (with a cold engine) it started back up again. ARGGGHH!! So he could not diagnose the problem.

Anybody know what the problem is??

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Is it a single click with the turn of the key or is it clicking rapidly?

First thing to check is your battery and connections. Make sure the connections are tight and free from any corrosion.

If everything looks good there then you've probably got a problem with the copper contacts inside of the starter. It's a common problem on our trucks as the milage starts hitting 90k and above. Replacing the contacts are a smiple procedure and can be done for less than $20. More info can be found here: http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Starter_Rebuild

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Happened to me over a year back. Only I didn't buy a new contact, dealer didn't offer them, only a new starter (imagine that!). So I made one outta brass never failed even once. Still runnin it.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the starter about 1 1/2 years ago. It should not go out that soon should it? I check the ground wires and all looked good there. They are in great condition. Hmm...I just started it this morning, works great (for now). I am not much pf a mechanic so rebuilding my starter is kind of risky. Anything else i should check? I also heard that if you have bad spots on your starter, you just tap it with a hammer and it will movie it a bit making it easier to start. True? Thanks to everybody for answereing my questions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You don't necessarily have to rebuild your starter, that would be a big waste of time. Just go to Autozone and buy one for about $150, don't be cheat about it by tapping it with a hammer in hopes that it will start. They're fairly easy to replace and will save you money in the long run by doing it yourself. The starter won't get any better, it will just get worse and eventually stop from functioning altogether, possibly leaving you stranded.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
ochatesme said:
You don't necessarily have to rebuild your starter, that would be a big waste of time. Just go to Autozone and buy one for about $150, don't be cheat about it by tapping it with a hammer in hopes that it will start. They're fairly easy to replace and will save you money in the long run by doing it yourself. The starter won't get any better, it will just get worse and eventually stop from functioning altogether, possibly leaving you stranded.
"Big waste of time" ?? Pure BS..The only thing that gives any trouble with these starters is the contacts in the solenoid. They simply wear down from use, nothing more. Replace the contacts and you'll have $20 in a fix that should last many years to come.
Just ask around this board, you'll find this a real common issue and a cheap and easy fix.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7480&highlight=starter+rebuild

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Interex
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing