TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are dozens of threads concerning vibrations after lifting. However this is different than the rest. I do not have a vibration upon startup or a constant vibration at any given speed. What I do have is an intermittent vibration. What I mean is that as I am cruising at any given speed, every few seconds, I get a vibration for a fraction of a second. It also seems that the vibration occasionally goes away. I don’t know why or how that is even possible. Any Ideas?

Setup:
OME 884s
Alcan AAL
OME Nitrochargers on all 4 corners
Front Diff Drop
2 ½ Rear shims

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
First thing to do is go back and make sure all bolts are still snug.

how long has the lift been on the truck?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of months.
Lug nuts are tight as I just had the truck re-aligned by a really good shop after I put on the 33"s. The slight vibration was there before the new tires. I did drive the truck for maybe 1,000 miles after the lift & before the initial alignment for camber. Maybe putting on that many miles without the camber adjustment stressed one of the front wheel bearings?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Tire balance can do this as 2 slightly unbalanced tires rotate at slightly different rpms, they will occasionally line up and vibrate momentarily. I don't know if this is your situation, only that it happens.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, but I had this issue with the stock wheels & tires.
Also the guy who re-did my wheel aligment said he got them perfect.
Lug centric adapter & roadforce balancing.
At this point I may just loosen up the front suspension and re-torque it.
I know I didn't torque to factory specs as I had no idea what they were.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
No not just the lug nuts but also all the other bolts such as the three coilover bolts at the top of the coil assembly, all the sway bar ends, tie rod ends etc.

things loosen up when they are brand new and typically if you have an offroad shop do the labor they will require you to come back within 500 miles or less so they can retork everything down before they will honor their instore warranties. This is because things will loosen up!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll re-torque everything once I get a chance.
As I didn't (and still don't) have the torque specs I just tightened everything as tight as I could which I know is not a great idea.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Hear me out on this one. ..

If it's coming from the front you might want to check where your motor
mounts connect to the frame. It might be cracked.

I had a slight vibration in the front driver's side. I could definitley feel it in the wheel... I thought it might be worn suspension and would address it later. I inspected, changed and tightened a lot of the front end to no solution. But after my fan started rubbing on the shroud and it sounded rough when powering down it quickly started maknig sense that I had the dreaded late model frame crack!!!! The vibes are most likely the first symptoms.

Everyone who has a late model Tacoma should inspect their mounts thoroughly. The stealer couldn't even find this one and modified my fan shroud to get me out of there. Which was good since they haven't voided my warranty yet and I have 4K left to 60K.

Get under your driver's side wheel and look around the upper control arm area. There's a mount that connects to the frame there. See if it's caved in on the frame. I bet there's a lot more of this damage out there than we're seeing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As I didn't (and still don't) have the torque specs
Scroll down to the supension section and you'll have your torque specs. Loctite might be in order too if you're going back to redo everything.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/local files/repair.html

Can you locate the vibe from the "seat of your pants" test? Is it transmitted through the steering at all? Does it feel like it's directly under you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
keezer36
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing