TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ipod modded tape hookup, cheap.

this is an ipod tape adapted mod i came up with.

i didnt want to spend 200 bucks to get my ipod to work with my stock radio so i used the next best thing, a tape adapter.the tape adapter seriously sounds really good, you just need to get a quality brand like Sony or something at Best Buy (20 bucks). I didnt like the look of the wire coming directly out my tape player (tacky)so i modded it a little to make it look a little better, i think. heres how i did it.
1. the first thing i did was take off my dash and removed the radio (10 minutes).
2.remove the bottom panel on your radio, i dont think i even had to remove any bolts, it just pops off with a flathead screwdriver. (2 minutes)
3.i ran the small end of the adapter, the one that plugs into your mp3 plater thru the front of the tape player and thru an opening on the immediate left of the tape player, it will take some needle nose pliers to pull it thru. still with the bottom of the radio off i just ran the wire all the way to the back of the radio and out the back thru one of the many holes, i then snapped the bottom back on. (15 minutes)
4.next pull all the excess wire out, but the tape still hasnt been put in. plug back in the radio and put the tape in and at the same time pull out the remaining slack (see photo below) and it should look like the picture hopefully.

www.soriaclothing.com/images/closeupradiotext.jpg

5.of course plug everything back in and make sure its working before putting back together the dash and everything. once that is done you can get your plug to come out anywhere you want. you can see in the photo how i did mine. when im not using it , it stays in place like the picture.
www.soriaclothing.com/images/fullpaneltext.jpg
www.soriaclothing.com/images/closeupcordtext.jpg
www.soriaclothing.com/images/pluggedclose.jpg
www.soriaclothing.com/images/pluggedfar.jpg
if you ever eject the tape or unplug your battery, it spits out the tape, just pull it out a little bit then put it back in and pull all the excess wire back. i did it and it was fine so dont freak out if someone accidentally hits eject.

6.plug it in,crank it up, enjoy music.
any question just email me
[email protected]
sorry i didnt have photos while i was doing it but i was just flying by the seat of my pants.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i had the griffin iTrip fm transmitter thing... it sucked and all i got was static unless i put it in a certain position. the tape thing works way better. nice writeup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
get the usa spec interface...it plugs into your cd changer port then gives you two aux rca inputs! works great!! no static...cd quality sound!! chekc it out at circuit city...bout 60 bucks...well worth the money

·
Registered
633 Posts
micah said:
get the usa spec interface...it plugs into your cd changer port then gives you two aux rca inputs! works great!! no static...cd quality sound!! chekc it out at circuit city...bout 60 bucks...well worth the money
do i just go to best buy and ask for the "usa spec interface"? wtf is that??? how do i plug it in? do i have to take off dash parts, or can it be reached with the hands of a sweatshop child?

·
Registered
119 Posts
amishclark said:
do i just go to best buy and ask for the "usa spec interface"? wtf is that??? how do i plug it in? do i have to take off dash parts, or can it be reached with the hands of a sweatshop child?
Here's the link to Circuit City:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...BV_EngineID=ccciaddhelejkkecfngcfkmdffhdfkl.0

And here's a link with the pic:
http://www.shopping.com/xPC-USA_Spec_Usa_Spec_Toyota_Compatible_Dual_Auxiliary_Input_Dftoy

It comes with all the instructions and requires no special tools - it mounts anywhere. Run a search on the forum and you'll find more about it. I am getting one soon myself for XM. FM modulator blow!

I use my tape player (books on tape, etc) and would not dream of disabling it by wiring in an adapter, so this is a better choice IMO. The sound quality is really good too!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
another thing to watch out for is i am pretty sure the new ipods switched the conections in the jack for the headphones the oppisite of every other brand now so you have to use ipod specific adapters now. but monster cable makes an ipod tape adapter the works for like 20 bucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
u hafta take the bezel around ur headunit off and take ur headunit out...the interface is awesome...and no...they dont have to be ipod specific...all u do is use a headphone to rca adapter cord, plug into the headphone input on your ipod then plug into the interface box...works great!! i have mine in my glovebox and it works awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts