TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a break in the rain this afternoon, so I got the VB installed woohoo!

So far, I've put in about 8.3 quarts of oil. It's still a little low when hot, so I'll get another quart tomorrow. John was spot on when he said I needed 9 quarts (my last bottle turned out to be partly used!).

John recommended a milder shift tune (medium to mild) on my truck. He told me I wouldn't like the hard tune. I think he's right. When you drive, on light throttle, it's barely noticeable (i.e. in traffic). At mid throttle, it definitely lets you know it's there. Shifts are quick and firm, and you can feel it thump you on the back a little. Not bad, but you know it's in there.
At full throttle, shifts feel instantaneous. The shift points feel the same (RPM wise), but there's no mush or delay, it just shifts quick! I couldn't chirp the 1-2 or 2-3 shifts, but then again, I'm stock with exhaust right now. When the supercharger is in, we'll see :D

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what each of the shoft solenoids does? There are three in my transmission- one in front, one mid, and one in the rear. I didn't change the O-rings on those (probably should have), though I'll probably do that when I change the trans oil again.

John was nice enough to ship this next day air for me and toss in a trans pan gasket so I wouldn't have to use silicone or gasket maker.

There was a bunch of black sludge in the pan when I first pulled it off- probably bearing/clutch wear, though this trans does have 180K on it. I think this will be a test to see how long the tranny goes before it dies! From how it shifts now, I may be waiting awhile! :)

-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
what did that run you total. i jsut had to put a new tranny in my truck the SC and big meats ate it. im gonna call them about new internals but if they tell em the valve body will hold this one together ill go that route. thanx

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The work was $475. Shipping there cost me abotu $40 via FedEx 2 day, and shipping back was about $45.
John told me the VB mod will make the trans last a lot longer. The thing is, you're slipping the clutches less, especially with higher power, which is much healthier. I would just go with the VB mod on yours, especially if it's a newer trans.
I figure I'll run mine until it needs a rebuild, then get the upgraded internals.

-Dave
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
saki302 said:
The work was $475. Shipping there cost me abotu $40 via FedEx 2 day, and shipping back was about $45.
John told me the VB mod will make the trans last a lot longer. The thing is, you're slipping the clutches less, especially with higher power, which is much healthier. I would just go with the VB mod on yours, especially if it's a newer trans.
I figure I'll run mine until it needs a rebuild, then get the upgraded internals.

-Dave
If you havent done it already install a good size tranny cooler and hook it up inline with your stock cooler. When i completely flushed out mine at 32K the original fluid looked really good which means i could of gone longer. I do alot of city driving and the trannys slips as its should but i try too drive as much freeway as much as i can. Cooler fluid does keep the fluid to last longer. Also it might be a good idea to completely flush out your trans with a good synthetic like amsoil or redline. My truck is pretty much stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cooler

A TRD trans cooler went in at the same time.

Ot's interesting how hot it gets- when you park, I can reach under the bumper and feel how hot it gets. It's hot enough to feel quite toasty, but I can leavy my hand on there, so it must be under 160-180 degrees- either that or I have a high tolerance for pain! :rolleyes:

The truck has run Mobil 1 synthetic since forever. The VB job took 8.5 quarts of oil to re-fill, so I'm guessing I got most of the used oil out.

-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
saki302 said:
The truck has run Mobil 1 synthetic since forever. The VB job took 8.5 quarts of oil to re-fill, so I'm guessing I got most of the used oil out.
-Dave
theres more like 15 qts total in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
My68ur8trd said:
what did that run you total. i jsut had to put a new tranny in my truck the SC and big meats ate it. im gonna call them about new internals but if they tell em the valve body will hold this one together ill go that route. thanx

Justin
Valve body and torque converter would be short of bullet proofing. What gear ratio are you at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Ive been apart of 2 valve body jobs. What a mess! when refilling put the rear wheels up and work the first 5 quarts in d-n-r d-n-r for about 5 minutes. then add 2-3 quarts. 8 quarts is tops for the initial install, you shouldnt have to go more than this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm.. I wonder if adding the TRD oil cooler increased the required oil to be added a bit. I know some oil drained out of the stock cooler when I was doing the install.

This was one of the messiest things I've ever done with a car! I had fluid in my hair, on my back, on my clothes, all over my arms.. yecch..

-Dave
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top